Eddie Lacy now second best runningback on Packers team?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
To me if it was just a weight thing all along it should have been hey Eddie you are doing a good job (once again his production was fine), but we want you to be in better shape. Instead it was like hey Eddie you're fat and now we're going to play some guy who isn't any better than you. It just seems like more of an insult than anything else.
He earned the (affectionate) moniker of Fat Eddie in his Offensive Rookie of the Year season from the fans and teammates, so weight wise I can't imagine he's much, if any, heavier now than when he earned that title. I agree, if it continues I'd say something else is up because he's never gonna be slim, and frankly he hasn't needed to be. He looks very similar to how he was coming out of college - but I don't have those exact figures.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This play below against the Cardinals in the divisional playoffs (which the Packers lost) shows why Eddie's weight last year was a problem. Any other starting running back in the NFL would have scored on this play. You can see that even at ~250 lbs last year Eddie still had his spin move and some elusiveness but he just lacked his usual top end speed. Someone pointed out that Eddie wore a rib protector part of the time last year. That was common knowledge to anyone who kept up with his situation. I know the rib protector probably made him look a little bigger than he was but by all accounts (coaches, teammates, media, Eddie himself) Eddie was at least 250 lbs last year. By comparison he was listed at 220 lbs at Alabama and if you go back and watch the BCSCG vs Notre Dame Eddie was ripped like a superhero.

Going back to his weight loss this year I think by the time the season starts Eddie will be where he needs to be. I think the statement by the Packers is more of a motivational ploy to keep Eddie on the right path. They probably didn't want to garner him with to much praise because Eddie might start relaxing then. Another member pointed out that the Packers didn't play Eddie as much last year. A couple reasons for that. Eddie had multiple nagging injuries throughout the season and he missed curfew one night which prompted McCarthy to give James Starks the start next week. I don't think the Packers coaches/organization have anything against Eddie I just think that he wasn't their best choice at times last year. As long as Eddie stays on the path that he's on now and puts up good numbers this year the Packers should reward him with a hearty contract extension. Eddie is in the last year of his rookie deal so there should be plenty of motivation on his part..

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Did he really just compare performance against an nfl playoff defense and that joke Notre dame put on the field? Maybe Eddie has lost a little burst, but trying to show that through those two clips isn't the way to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Any other starting running back in the NFL would have scored on this play
Not trying to be petty, but that's pretty hard to prove and most likely false. It was a 60 yard run that included contact, a lot of running backs wouldn't have made it ten yards on the play, but I do see your point. He clearly didn't have top end speed but I'm not sure he's ever going to outrun NFL defensive backs no matter what. If you look at his best plays over the years, the usually involved his ability as a running back, not top end speed. There's an irony there, that a 60 yard run could be used against him.

Two points are worth making. He's approaching the point that a lot of running backs decline anyway. I'm not saying that is happening, but there will be a point in which Eddie will be physically limited. It's not a forgone conclusion that he can just get much faster and it's not fair to insinuate he's the slowest starting back either without any proof. Secondly, is it coincidence that right around the time people were calling for an extension for Lacy, the Packers starting call him fat? This is the final year of his rookie contract, I'm not entirely sure what the Packers plans are but if you have a hugely popular and successful running back, and you don't want to pay him... may be you start with benching him and calling him fat.

Edit:
If the Packers think so, then yah, probably - they're essentially running a $1.3 billion business. IOW, they've forgotten more about NFL player metrics than all of us here combined will ever know...
Never said they didn't have a reason, just questioned if weight was the primary factor. It wasn't an issue his first or second year, but suddenly it became one. They started that to by the way, no outside observers started going you know he's fat and that's a problem as far as I'm aware... his production didn't change, his weight didn't really change, only the years left on his contract were noticeably changing. Mind you, I'm not saying that's the only issue. It could be an attitude problem, it could be conditioning, but I will say this. If they are still complaining about his weight, when he clearly isn't overweight by his standards and clearly isn't any heavier than he's ever been with the Packers, there's more to it than that.

The idea though that guys running a billion dollar business are always up front about their motives and what not is a bit of a stretch though isn't it? They're dealing with a cap over there last time I checked. I don't blame the Packers if they prefer someone else who is cheaper, or faster, or a harder worker, but I'm just saying that may be there's more to the issue than just suddenly figuring out the guy has a few extra pounds. Like you said, billion dollar business, I'm guessing this wasn't something they just uncovered last year.

Anyway, he's lost weight. If they want a small back then they don't want Lacy.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Not trying to be petty, but that's pretty hard to prove and most likely false. It was a 60 yard run that included contact, a lot of running backss wouldn't have made it ten yards on the play, but I do see your point. He clearly didn't have top end speed but I'm not sure he's ever going to outrun NFL defensive backs no matter what. If you look at his best plays over the years, the usually involved his ability as a running back, not top end speed. There's an irony there, that a 60 yard run could be used against him.

Two points are worth making. He's approaching the point that a lot of running backs decline anyway. I'm not saying that is happening, but there will be a point in which Eddie will be physically limited. It's not a forgone conclusion that he can just get much faster and it's not fair to insinuate he's the slowest starting back either without any proof. Secondly, is it coincidence that right around the time people were calling for an extension for Lacy, the Packers starting call him fat? This is the final year of his rookie contract, I'm not entirely sure what the Packers plans are but if you have a hugely popular and successful running back, and you don't want to pay him... may be you start with benching him and calling him fat.
I agree that a lot of running backs may not have been able to break tackles and get into the open field as Eddie did but just about any RB who gets 10 + yards behind the defense will score. Eddie had a plethora of long plays his first 2 seasons in the NFL similar to that one above except in his first 2 seasons Eddie would score on those plays. I understand that Eddie's game isn't build on elite top end speed. His game is more about breaking tackles and rumbling. However, I'm not talking about elite top end speed here. Average 4.6 speed would have been able to score on that play once in the open field. Additionally, I just don't buy that the Packers are trying to sabotage Eddie in order to not pay him. Running backs don't command large salaries these days. The NFL is a business and if they think Eddie can provide value to their team they really have no reason to sabotage him. The Packers called Eddie overweight and out of shape because he was by all reputable accounts including Eddie himself. They had to call him out on it because being in shape is part of Eddie's job as a professional athlete..

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Did he really just compare performance against an nfl playoff defense and that joke Notre dame put on the field? Maybe Eddie has lost a little burst, but trying to show that through those two clips isn't the way to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMO the ONLY thing that those clips can provide is insight into burst or speed. It would be difficult to judge vision and system knowledge or overall performance given the different levels in competition.

All the plays on display were successful plays by Eddie. The only thing being examined is the speed with which he moves across the field. In that regard, while not perfect, both videos are serviceable for comparisons. The complication of the schemes presented by both teams has little bearing on Lacy's physical limitations - so it is one way to do it, especially for fans who don't have access to some of the tools available to NFL teams.

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
The NFL is a business and if they think Eddie can provide value to their team they really have no reason to sabotage him. The Packers called Eddie overweight and out of shape because he was by all reputable accounts including Eddie himself. They had to call him out on it because being in shape is part of Eddie's job as a professional athlete..
Krazy can correct me if I'm wrong but when he spoke of a different motive for the Packer's slight estrangement from Lacy I took it to mean they were having difficulties with personality types or chemistry between he and the coaching staff, not that they were just trying to find a reason not to pay him more. The idea being that weight is just a smoke screen for other problems they are having with each other.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Additionally, I just don't buy that the Packers are trying to sabotage Eddie in order to not pay him. Running backs don't command large salaries these days. The NFL is a business and if they think Eddie can provide value to their team they really have no reason to sabotage him. The Packers called Eddie overweight and out of shape because he was by all reputable accounts including Eddie himself. They had to call him out on it because being in shape is part of Eddie's job as a professional athlete..
I think you might be missing the context of this. The context was that if they were still unhappy with his weight then there must be more to it than that. Look at the recent pictures, does that look like a guy that can easily drop a few more pounds? I don't see it, especially not at a position that takes a bruising. May be they want better conditioning, but that isn't weight in and of itself.

It simply makes no sense that they now, in his fourth season would expect him to be skinnier than he's ever been with the Packers. That's not a realistic expectation. Get in shape, sure but he's more Jerome Bettis than Chris Johnson and that's not going to change.
Krazy can correct me if I'm wrong but when he spoke of a different motive for the Packer's slight estrangement from Lacy I took it to mean they were having difficulties with personality types or chemistry between he and the coaching staff, not that they were just trying to find a reason not to pay him more. The idea being that weight is just a smoke screen for other problems they are having with each other.
Yeah, I'm just saying I don't really know what the issue is but if there's still a problem I don't see how it can just be weight. Even last year, yese he could be in better shape, never said otherwise, but he was still a quality, productive back. They didn't treat him like one though. He shows up in better shape and skinnier and they're still mad at him? Why?

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don't buy that. Lacy has been with the Packers for going on 3 years now with pretty much the same coaching staff and a lack of chemistry issue hasn't been talked about - at least that I'm aware of. Additionally, Tony Horton in the above article was glowing with how easy it is to get along with Lacy and what a nice guy he is. I think the friction with the coaching staff is they were frustrated that a professional athlete wasn't in peak shape and it had an impact on the Packers disappointing season. Obviously the Packers struggles last year weren't all on Lacy as they lost Jordy Nelson to an ACL injury before the season started but Lacy being out of shape certainly didn't help matters..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think you might be missing the context of this. The context was that if they were still unhappy with his weight then there must be more to it than that. Look at the pictures, does that look like a guy that can easily drop a few more pounds? I don't see it, especially not at a position that takes a bruising. May be they want better conditioning, but that isn't weight in and of itself.

It simply makes no sense that they now, in his fourth season would expect him to be skinnier than he's ever been with the Packers. That's not a realistic expectation. Get in shape, sure but he's more Jerome Bettis than Chris Johnson and that's not going to change.

Yeah, I'm just saying I don't really know what the issue is but if there's still a problem I don't see how it can just be weight. Even last year, as I pointed out sure he could be in better shape, never said otherwise, but he was still a quality, productive back. They didn't treat him like one though. If he shows up in better shape and skinnier and they're still mad at him? Why?
We also know the game of football has changed since Bettis played.

For comparison's sake --

Eddie in the 2013 wild card game:

Eddie in the first game of the 2014 season:

Eddie in week sixteen last season against Arizona:

Either he started wearing a very big pad around his stomach, or he did gain the weight last season.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think you might be missing the context of this. The context was that if they were still unhappy with his weight then there must be more to it than that. Look at the recent pictures, does that look like a guy that can easily drop a few more pounds? I don't see it, especially not at a position that takes a bruising. May be they want better conditioning, but that isn't weight in and of itself.

Yeah, I'm just saying I don't really know what the issue is but if there's still a problem I don't see how it can just be weight. Even last year, as I pointed out sure he could be in better shape, never said otherwise, but he was still a quality, productive back. They didn't treat him like one though. He shows up in better shape and skinnier and they're still mad at him? Why?
I think you may be missing the context of this. What good would it do for the Packers to heap praise on Eddie and say that he is right where they want him to be? Why would the Packers say that about any player at this point during the offseason? The Packers comment about Eddie wasn't just about Eddie it was about all the players on the team. The coaches want everybody to continue to improve upon their weaknesses during the offseason. Eddie's only weakness last year was that he was out of shape. I actually took the comments from the Packers as positive because they said they feel like Eddie will be where he needs to be at the start of the season. Again, how is that different than how they're treating any other player on the team? The only difference is Eddie needs to be focused on staying in shape whereas other players may need to focus on their mechanics, technique, footwork etc. What do you think the Packers coaches should say? Do you think they should say that Eddie is where he needs to be and no improvements are needed? That's why you have to take these comments into context of the situation. If this were week 1 of the season then it would be different. Right now it's the offseason which is a time for player improvement not heaping praise..

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
May be they want better conditioning, but that isn't weight in and of itself.
I think if we are speaking in physical terms it has to be conditioning. Which is totally fair. His balance still seemed good and he still seemed strong as an ox.

This strays slightly but someone posted on here an article which asserted that the interesting thing about Derrick Henry is, while he had eye bulging YAC stats, he rarely took anybody on head first. He COULD do that, but more often he was really adept at using angles to take away direct shots from defenders. Couple that with his long arms and underestimated speed, and he was able to wreak havoc.

In a lot of ways, Eddie is similar. HEAR ME OUT. I think he's more bullish than Henry but most of his angle adjustment comes in the gaps and seams he's hitting. But his balance has always been a strength. And while he never moved his feet as fast as Yeldon, he had so much power that it only took him a fraction of the steps to change angle or direction and avoid direct attacks from defenders. Tying this back in, weight would certainly have a bearing on his ability to quickly and efficiently manipulate angles to deny those defenders straight shots.
I love to play tennis, and I've always been quick twitch, but when I got married and gained about 20 pounds, my timing was thrown because of my expectation of where I could be, angle wise, on the court didn't match up with my thighs and calves ability to stop the additional weight as it traveled with inertia in one direction and move it with the same speed in the other. So from a performance level, outside of pure conditioning I could see how weigh overall could not just affect Eddie from a physical standpoint, but a mental one as well. He expects to do some of the same things physically, but those are mental miscalculations which lead to deteriorated decision making.

He did also battle quite a few injuries last year, and those can't be dismissed. Anyways, all this just got me thinking about how weight increase and decrease affects the physics of a running back given the specific tasks they are asked to complete.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Ok, just so we're clear here. Is anyone in this thread of the opinion that Eddie is still overweight? Because there seems to be a disconnect here.

It sounds like Packers aren't happy with his weight loss: /
He looks fit, we can all see that. If they have a problem with him at this point, it has nothing to do with his weight and it might never have had anything to do with it.
We can go back and forth but seriously, there's no point in posting pictures from last season to decide if you still think he's fat. Should be really get much smaller? Not smaller than last year but smaller than he is now, and smaller than he's ever been as a Packer? That's the pertinent question. They should want him to keep up good habits and conditioning, just saying if he's too big for them now and he might just be too big, period.

I think if we are speaking in physical terms it has to be conditioning. Which is totally fair. His balance still seemed good and he still seemed strong as an ox.
Yeah, I've never questioned the notion that his conditioning could have improved. I just questioned the idea that he could show up looking like he does now and the Packers were still saying he's overweight. That I do not get and why I would look for other explanations.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Ok, just so we're clear here. Is anyone in this thread of the opinion that Eddie is still overweight? Because there seems to be a disconnect here.

We can go back and forth but seriously, there's no point in posting pictures from last season to decide if you still think he's fat. Only current pictures are relevant. I keep saying it but how they can expect him to be smaller than he is now? Not smaller than last year, than now, smaller than his rookie year, smaller than he's ever been as a Packer. How can his current weight still be too much? That's the pertinent question.

Yeah, I've never questioned the notion that his conditioning could have improved. I just questioned the idea that he could show up looking like he does now and the Packers were still saying he's overweight. That I do not get and why I would look for other explanations.
Nobody is calling Lacy fat or overweight? Did you actually read the article that has McCarthy's comments? If not this is what he said :"Eddie's like a lot of our team right now," McCarthy said. "We've got a lot of work to do." McCarthy did add he thinks Lacy "will be fine" and will "hit the target that we're all looking for when the lights come on." I don't see anyone calling Lacy fat or overweight in these comments. I see comments calling for player improvement which is what every head coach in the NFL is saying right now..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

We can go back and forth but seriously, there's no point in posting pictures from last season to decide if you still think he's fat. Only current pictures are relevant. I keep saying it but how they can expect him to be smaller than he is now? Not smaller than last year, than now, smaller than his rookie year, smaller than he's ever been as a Packer. How can his current weight still be too much? That's the pertinent question. They should want him to keep up good habits and conditioning, just saying if he's too big for them now and he might just be too big, period.

And like CF said earlier, look at McCarthy's comment. He includes the entire team. That link is a news story with some added commentary.

The biggest pleasant surprise for the Packers this offseason was going to be how much weight Eddie Lacy lost and how good of shape he was going to be in.

Might want to put a hold on the optimism, though, because the initial reports out of Packers OTAs are less than exciting for Lacy's progress.

Asked about his running back, coach Mike McCarthy was less than complimentary (again).

"Eddie's like a lot of our team right now," McCarthy said. "We've got a lot of work to do."

Ouch. McCarthy did add he thinks Lacy "will be fine" and will "hit the target that we're all looking for when the lights come on."
How can the writer take that quote to be solely about Eddie when McCarthy says "like a lot of our team right now. We've got a lot of work to do." That statement can be made by pretty much all 32 head coaches because no team is in complete game shape four months away from the start of the season.

The commentary comes across as the writer's attempt to get more clicks since Eddie's weight has been a primary topic among Packers fans this off season.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
And like CF said earlier, look at McCarthy's comment. He includes the entire team. That link is a news story with some added commentary.

How can the writer take that quote to be solely about Eddie when McCarthy says "like a lot of our team right now. We've got a lot of work to do." That statement can be made by pretty much all 32 head coaches because no team is in complete game shape four months away from the start of the season.

The commentary comes across as the writer's attempt to get more clicks since Eddie's weight has been a primary topic among Packers fans this off season.
That writer was using clickbait as you assumed. The following are two pictures the writer tweeted out yesterday. These are both from the same day this year. The first one captioned with does Lacy look any smaller to you? (Obviously a bad angled picture). People in the comments section called him out on it then he posted the 2nd picture.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Let's recap:
- He was listed at 235lbs last season, but was rumored to play at 250lbs.
-Tony Horton said he thinks Lacey dropped between 15 and 20 pounds. That would put him between 225 and 230lbs
-Pete Doughtery of Packer guessed that Lacy probably is at 240 now.

-Reason for Lacy gaining weight: Poor Diet and Alcohol.

And yet Lacy did what he was supposed to do. What was not mentioned in the article that I posted link in:

" McCarthy said the Packers have a body-composition standard for Lacy – presumably a percentage of body fat – not a weight. I suspect they have targets for both."

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp.../24/weight-lacy-only-part-way-there/84854510/

It sounds like they are optimistic that he will hit his target goals by Training camp. I suspect he met the weight goals, but not the body fat percentage.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Nobody is calling Lacy fat or overweight? Did you actually read the article that has McCarthy's comments?
First, then what are people disagreeing with me about? It was just an exchange back and forth with Audio and I, may be you guys missed some of it
I suspect they know more about where he needs to be than we do...
I wondered about the weight complaints with Eddie when they started, and I really wonder now if they continue.
And yes, I read the article, but I was speaking to the hypothetical. My response was in that chain the whole time though, I never claimed Eddie couldn't lose any weight from last season, not once... I did take a bit of an exception though when it was used to obscure his performance. May be benching him was the only way to get him to drop a few pounds, but he was never their second best running back.

To illustrate the other point I made, which might have been more distracting than anything else, here's what I as referring to.

In 2014 Eddie had 319 touches (combined pass receptions and rushes). He averaged 4.49 yards per touch. In 2016 he has only 207 touches, but he averaged 4.57 yards per touch. Now, he did have 11 TDs as a rookie and only 5 last year, but Starks accounted for 5 TDs so that explains most of that change. Point being, there was no radical change in his production.

All I was saying with the continued conversation though, was if they are not happy with his weight now, then there's more to it and the rest was to that point. The other part though, which is valid is that even a heavy Eddie is a productive back. I don't think it's in his makeup to become a skinny back though, he's a bigger slower back, period and if they want to change that about him then I think they're the ones in the wrong. Yes, his conditioning can improve, yes he could and did lose a few pounds but that point stands.

Edit We'll see though. Will the Packers sign him to an extension? Will the weight complaints go away if he stays at his current weight? We'll find out right? But he lost weight on that we can all agree, he got in better shape as well apparently. So if that was the main problem and he keeps it up, there shouldn't be one going forward.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.