Playoff picture 11/15/15

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
That's what I think. But sometimes I wonder if we need to beat Auburn & Florida decisively to secure our spot. If we win those two games playing poorly with a close final score, is there any chance we'd get left out in favor of Notre Dang or Oklahoma (assuming they win big to finish the season)?
No chance no possibility. Alabama has an extra game that ND and OU will not have. Also Ole Miss would mop the floor with Texas. I would take a one loss ND over any one loss Big 12 team.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I'm thinking Okie State is going to lose somewhere down the line ... almost happened again last night with Iowa State.
Clemson may very well lose to NC so I'm thinking it may be looking like this when the playoffs start:

1. Alabama
2. OSU/Iowa
3. ND
4. Oklahoma

If Clemson wins out ...

1. Clemson
2. Bama
3. OSU/Iowa
4. ND

Big Kenny

Jun 21, 2015
Nashville, TN
I think things are shaping up and will take care of themselves. Like others have said, the only thing that matters is being in the top 4 at the end. My take:

Clemson - If they win out, they are in. No questions asked. If they don't beat NC, it could be tough because I think the committee will hesitate to take anyone who does not win their conference. Clemson is the only one of the top 4 that can survive a loss.

Alabama - Win out and we are in. Period. Two losses = no way of making it even if they beat Florida to win SEC. Auburn would love nothing more than to spoil a championship run for us.

Ohio State - Win out and they are in. I agree that they have not played anyone of substance yet, but they have not lost a game either. To win out would require the Buckeyes to beat: Michigan State @ home, Michigan @ the Big House, and an undefeated Iowa team for the Big 10 Championship. Their tests are just coming later in the season. No other team has the chance to close out like the Buckeyes. That being said, I think the committee drops the Buckeyes if they lose a game because of their weak play up to this point.

Notre Dame - Win out and they are in. Their only loss would be by 2 points on the road at the potential #1 seed Clemson. No way they don't make it if they win out, but Stanford will be a tough game. BC always plays ND tough as well & it is a neutral site game. Notre Dame is playing really good football right now and will be tough to beat. They actually benefit this year by not having to play in a conference championship game. They have a quality resume, but 2 losses = no title shot.

Iowa winning the Big 10 Championship by beating Ohio State really creates havok. How do you leave the undefeated Big 10 Champion out of a 4 team playoff when the Pac 12 won't be represented either? I think Iowa has to make it if they win out, and they will eliminate Ohio St by doing that.

Oklahoma makes a case if they win out, but that Texas loss is bad. They definitely need some help to get in, but that help could happen.

The only one of the top 4 right now that could survive a loss is Clemson in the ACC Championship game, but I still have a hard time seeing the committee taking a non-conference winner. I would take a 1 loss conference champion over a 1 loss Clemson every day. There are too many choices of conference winners. If Bama or Notre Dame lose again, they are out.

The final four at the end of the year could very end up being Florida, Iowa, Oklahoma, & whatever team has 1 loss coming from a conference championship (OH St or Clemson).

I think it will end up being: Clemson, Bama, Ohio State, and Notre Dame. The committee will probably take the "Rematch Route" and pair Alabama with Ohio State and Clemson with Notre Dame. A lot of people will want to see these games, and the winners get to play for the title. This is why I love college football.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Right now, for me:
Wow, I feel like Lee Corso with a septuplet "Not so fast!"

Put me on the record, cause there is NO WAY ND gets in if they win out if

Alabama, Clemson, Ohio state, Oklahoma/OSU win out. Why, you ask. Because you're all saying that NDs BEST win was a close loss on the road to Clemson.

Their actual best win.....the temple owls (ranked 21) who just lost to South Florida, so far. Then if ND wins out they still beat a most likely unranked Stanford.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
In theory....Alabama should win the national championship based on all known tangents.

At this point they have performed better than any other team against a stronger schedule than anyone else.

Just win.......and the rest is moot.

Alabama, Clemson, Ohio state, Oklahoma/OSU win out. Why, you ask. Because you're all saying that NDs BEST win was a close loss on the road to Clemson.

Their actual best win.....the temple owls (ranked 21) who just lost to South Florida, so far. Then if ND wins out they still beat a most likely unranked Stanford.
Never underestimate the power of the media. Couple that with the messy BIG 12 and I see ND in there.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

tidegrandpa

All-American
Watched a bit of the Final program on ESPN this morning. Saw that Galloway still has OSU at #1 saying that they would clearly beat everyone in college football if they played them. Tessitore scoffed at his rankings, but Joey was totally unapologetic about his picks.

The funny thing, he has the other OSU at #6 because they haven't played anyone yet. Wonder if he has noticed that my Buckeyes have not either. He is clearly ESPN's replacement for Holtz with his homer attitude, but the schtick isn't working.
Watched 5 minutes of this show 1st week of season, rather watch a cooking show, I miss Mark May.

tidegrandpa

All-American
I'm thinking Okie State is going to lose somewhere down the line ... almost happened again last night with Iowa State.
Clemson may very well lose to NC so I'm thinking it may be looking like this when the playoffs start:

1. Alabama
2. OSU/Iowa
3. ND
4. Oklahoma

If Clemson wins out ...

1. Clemson
2. Bama
3. OSU/Iowa
4. ND
I kinda like being 2 or 3, we would play in Jerry World, doable for me if we get in.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005

I completely agree. I think ND is in the top 4 as a placeholder until the big 12 gets sorted out. Based on what I saw last night, Oklahoma would be a tough out in the playoffs. Them and Ohio st scare me the most.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
I try not to get too caught up in this since so many teams are still in the hunt. It seems to sort itself out each week.

JDMinHSV

Scout Team
Jan 11, 2007
Watched a bit of the Final program on ESPN this morning. Saw that Galloway still has OSU at #1 saying that they would clearly beat everyone in college football if they played them. Tessitore scoffed at his rankings, but Joey was totally unapologetic about his picks.

The funny thing, he has the other OSU at #6 because they haven't played anyone yet. Wonder if he has noticed that my Buckeyes have not either. He is clearly ESPN's replacement for Holtz with his homer attitude, but the schtick isn't working.
I was ok with Galloway putting Ohio State at #1; I mean, everybody knew that was a given going in. BUT, when Tessitore asked about Bama's defense and Galloway spouted that OSU's was far better, I nearly threw my coffee cup at the TV. He just stole the "Idiot" crown from Kannell, and I, for one, will not watch anything further on ESPN that has either one of them in it. If ESPN wants to proclaim this kind of crap, they can tell it to someone else.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
In the end, I think 11-1 Notre Dame trumps 11-1 Big 12 champion. It's the same record but Notre Dame's one loss would be far more impressive than the one loss by the Big 12 team - unless UNC knocks off Clemson in the ACC title game.

Oklahoma's loss is very very bad. That can't be overlooked, IMO.
The problem is, Notre Dame's victory over USC and their potential victory over Stanford don't mean as much now that the Pac-12 is garbage. I don't think it's a given that a 12-1 ND gets in, though, at the end of the day, they probably would. Remember, last year, Ohio State had a very bad loss and still got in. Okla can have just as good wins by beating Ok St, TCU and Baylor.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.