Question: Cowbell removal

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Not to kick a dog when it's down (pun incidental), but I'm watching the game again on my computer. I'm using a program that shows a graphic for certain sounds and pitches. Tech talk aside, it cuts out crowd noise and let's the cowbell ring through.

It's insane. Well over 100dcb at the camera/mike boom location. When the center is over the ball, the noise is supposed to stop. That's the wink and nudge version of the rule....

It's ringing from the moment we get the ball, go to huddle, get to line, and complete the play. Small pause to rest that ringing wrist and then it's back.

Gotta be a kings dumb fan base to squander this generosity and now is the time to do something about it. Yesterday, had we lost or it have been close, everyone would say, "oh the usual whining Bama fans not happy cause they lost/almost lost." But that's not the case, the team did a great job and played through it. Because of that, it's the perfect opportunity to show that they are violating the generous vote from the other SEC schools which allows them to bring artificial noise makes into the stadium.

As such, what's a realistic way to point this ridiculousness out to the SECcommission requesting that they change it? Is there something that the fan base can do or is this all up to the universities?

Another tech note, I measured the crowd pregame (at it's loudest) and during our plays. The entire crowd wasn't ringing during our time on the field, but based on the program somewhere between 60-75% of the fans were, so this isn't a "few bad eggs" scenario.

Or am I just being a bigger idiot than usual about this?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Tate has always gotten a pass on this rule. Even when the cowbells were "banned". I went to a game in Starkvegas in the 90's, they were handing them out at the gate.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
No. They've been doing it for decades and it's a tradition. Makes College Football fun!

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
How do you measure the dBSPL from the broadcast? Not sure how you can calculate the level.
Based on nominal sounds at sporting events as a common thread. Luckily for me, when they broke the Guinness book of world records for mass cowbell blah blah blah all that data was recorded and is available on the www. Between that and other sounds that are well documented "sounds of sports whistle, volume, and distance sound travels" it got easier to plug in the metrics.

These bells are no where near as loud (or dangerous) as those vuvuzeulos years ago at the Africa world cup. Also, I know that I'm working on a range here and from previous testing of real world (collected live recordings myself from 16 stadiums) vs broadcast (where I've used this program to compare). It's been within +/-6 open stadiums and a garbage +/-14 for enclosed. Can't quite figure out the fix for the enclosed.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I don't have tech stuff to back up this statement, but it sure seemed like once we scored the 3rd TD, the crowd (and thus the cowbells) went fairly silent. At least it seemed that way on the broadcast.

Therefore, I'd say the best way to neutralize the cow bells is to simply continue whipping MSU like we always have.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Can your computer block out Verne and Gary? Much more annoying than cowbells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Can your computer block out Verne and Gary? Much more annoying than cowbells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's easy. Stream the game on your computer and open a program called audacity. It had options to do just that. All the stadium noise, neither of those two (though I don't hate them as much as everyone else.) The "doink" content yesterday on the MSY missed kick early may have been a breaking point though.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I agree that there shouldn't be special rules. The SEC limits how many times we do rammer jammer because it has the word hell in it (supposedly that's why, given some of the things they sing and chant in Baton Rouge, that seems pretty suspect).

Maybe we should declare elephant trumpeting a tradition and start bringing air horns or vuvuzelas or trumpets in with us. Want to guess how long the league would tolerate that?

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I agree that there shouldn't be special rules. The SEC limits how many times we do rammer jammer because it has the word hell in it (supposedly that's why, given some of the things they sing and chant in Baton Rouge, that seems pretty suspect).

Maybe we should declare elephant trumpeting a tradition and start bringing air horns or vuvuzelas or trumpets in with us. Want to guess how long the league would tolerate that?
How many times per game does Ole Miss do Hotty Toddy?

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Let Sir Clang A Lot keep it up. The best way to silence them is to beat them like a rented mule.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

Dear God no. That elephant sound effect they've used this season is wretched. I think it started in the Tennessee game and every time someone bought a soda that thing sounded. It was horrible. By the LSU game they lowered the volume a bit and how often it was played and was much mo betta.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
It seems fitting to me that if they want to be exempted from artificial noisemakers rules, then allow artificial noisemakers for them both home and away. Let other teams use them when MSU comes into town.

I think they'd call off their cowbells in short order after that.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I don't think the suggestion that we bring in "elephant horns" for noise was serious. It was meant to show that what Miss St. fans can do can lead to something undesirable from other fans. If they are given a pass on something so annoying and deafening (actually damaging to hearing), then everyone could. It is against the rules. Don't like the rules, change them or enforce them fairly.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Would you care to explain this new metric of sound level?

Know what dBc is, so no explanation needed. Not sure why one would use C-message weighting, but that is one's choice.

Back to the subject at hand.
Blue font....I'm just trying to stake my claim in the world man. Lol

HUGE oversight, but it's too funny to correct now

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Our Boy's handled the crowd noise from the cow bells pretty dadgum good, it's loud for sure, but, BDS & Death Valley are even louder with 100,00 screaming fans..I agree I personally like the cowbells cause it's part of the culture that helps make college football the greatest sport on the planet..Now if the fans start beating the hell out of each other with the cowbells WWE style..Ban 'em..LOL

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.