Projected Birmingham Bowl Opponents

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Maybe Bobby Petrino can jet in from Louisville to provide ESPN commentary.
See the possibilities are endless! If Cincy wins, Tubby gets a fur lined pine box and a trip to Disney World hosted by Dumbo. If the Barn wins, Gus gets a half a case of Juicy Fruit, a discount coupon to Waffle House and a years supply of Xanax for Kristi...

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
they can refuse to play in a bowl. Bowl extends an invitation and teams can accept/decline
And the SEC can refuse to pay them their share of this:

SEC to receive projected $87.5 million payout from College Football Playoff bowls

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/12/sec_to_receive_projected_875_m.html

$87.5M divided by 16 (SEC gets 2 shares) is $5.5M. The Bowl bids at the lower level are extended to the SEC and the SEC decides who goes where. Barn will go anywhere the SEC sends them!!!

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Why would they refuse the bid? That wouldn't be fair to the players that earned it. Just because fans are embarrassed..doesn't mean the players didn't win the games in order to be bowl eligible.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
One year South Carolina had a bench clearing brawl against Clemson and Holtz refused the bowl bid as a punishment. Not sure if they got in trouble with the SEC office. But that was a special circumstance, they didn't just not want to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
By accepting the invite, they most likely will be taking the chance they end up with a losing record. I think Tubs team wins and the Barn ends up with 7 losses.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
One year South Carolina had a bench clearing brawl against Clemson and Holtz refused the bowl bid as a punishment. Not sure if they got in trouble with the SEC office. But that was a special circumstance, they didn't just not want to go.

USC and clemson both self-imposed bowl bans over the brawl, though the SEC & ACC were likely going to do so if the schools had not.

USC turned down a bowl bid in 1989 and it was a big mistake. Lost practice time, damaged recruiting, etc. I can't imagine auburn turning it down.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I also remember when Notre Lame had a team vote not to go to a bowl game in 2009. Cowards they were....also the same year CCW was fired. However they are independent so would face any consequence from any conference.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
By accepting the invite, they most likely will be taking the chance they end up with a losing record. I think Tubs team wins and the Barn ends up with 7 losses.
With 1 of the wins over an FCS team (barely). Before we got way too many bowls that would not have made them bowl eligible.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.