Alabama-Auburn - 2:30 Kickoff on CBS

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't have a problem with Gary & Verne either. Most of the complaints about Gary & Verne is due the false outrage society that we live in today that is fueled by social media, message boards, and because they are not constant sunshine pumpers for Alabama. However, it is popular these days to trash people and people like to beat a dead horse too.
they are also playing to more than just bama fans. pretty much everyone wants to see us get beat and gary and verne are going to at least talk about that possibility to keep folks interested. i noticed this past weekend as they came out of the half that gary was pretty much saying the game was over and the m. state fans knew it.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'm really surprised they didn't pick UF vs FSU for the 2:30 slot. I guess a game that could possibly determine the West is much more interesting than an OOC game.
At this time of the season I think CBS will always take a game with two SEC teams. OOC games are usually only broadcast early in the season on CBS.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
cool. i like the cbs games because i don't have to stream them and deal with the annoying delays and inevitable streaming problems that happen

I like CBS games because, with all of the commercials, I can read War and Peace from start to finish by the end of the game.

While taking breaks to try and figure out Einstein's Theory of Relativity...

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
The only reason I am surprised at this is because I thought CBS had their fill with Bama game and couldn't televise anymore. I don't have a problem with Bert and Ernie, I meant Gary and Verne. I've actually found them enjoyable lately because Verne is messing everything up and it's hilarious. I actually like Gary because to me, he does give good inight. Others have complained about him saying the same thing about how to beat Bama. He isn't wrong in that. He's dead on. Just so few have done it...
I was thinking the same thing.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The following appearances Alabama made this year on networks:
ABC- Wisconsin
SECN- Middle Tennessee, La-Monroe and Charleston Southern (3x)
ESPN- Ole miss, Arkansas (2x)
CBS- Georgia, Texas A and M, Tennessee, LSU, Miss State and Auburn (6x)
During the regular season, typical games that are shown almost every year include Florida-Tennessee (aired for the 17th time in 18 years in 2013), Georgia-Florida (all but 2002), Auburn–Alabama, (the Iron Bowl) (since 2000, except for 2003, 2007 and 2014), LSU–Alabama (Every year since Nick Saban took over at Alabama, and every year at 7:00 p.m. since 2011), LSU–Florida (1999, 2001, 2003, 2005–2009 and 2011–2013), LSU–Ole Miss (2003, 2007–2010, 2012) and LSU–Arkansas (all but 2009), the last of which is traditionally aired the day after Thanksgiving. In addition, the interconference rivalry games, Florida–Florida State, Georgia–Georgia Tech and (since 2014) Kentucky–Louisville, often air on the network when the SEC schools host the games (otherwise, those games air on ABC or the ESPN networks, as the ACC's contracts dictate). When the interconference rivalries air on CBS, the broadcasts are generally branded as "College Football on CBS" instead of "SEC on CBS". In addition, CBS will occasionally televise games where SEC schools host marquee non-conference opponents, such as the Miami Hurricanes and Notre Dame Fighting Irish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEC_on_CBS

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I was thinking the same thing.
I thought the same. I think they struck a deal with SEC Nation... to where CBS get first pick of SEC game... and SEC get second.. and back and forth... am I wrong though? I was surpised to see CBS picking us for the game unless they did it from Auburn perspective, not Alabama? I really thought ESPN was going to pick up the Bama game...

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
Bama-AU hasn't been a Thursday game since the late 80's or very early 90's.
... thanks, not sure where I got that idea - musta dreamed it

,,, maybe I was just hoping for a Thursday game, since I will have access to a big screen that day - and not on Saturday :)

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
The simple fact is that Alabama is by far the largest national draw for ratings. This is why we are going to be on, CBS -HO-Hum, again. Many people outside of Alabama are tuning in hoping we'll lose so their team will get in and some are just generally fans of successful teams like Bama. The SEC network is probably not happy. They have only had what 2 or 3 games this year.

Anyway, I think Vern and Gary are just plain tired and bored of doing our games so it shows in their broadcast. How many times will Gary say "To beat Alabama, You have to __________." I don't really think they are biased, but Vern should retire, he has clearly lost it. Are they checking him out of the retirement home to do games?

What is the over/under on the number of times they show that awful play next week? 10.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I thought the same. I think they struck a deal with SEC Nation... to where CBS get first pick of SEC game... and SEC get second.. and back and forth... am I wrong though? I was surpised to see CBS picking us for the game unless they did it from Auburn perspective, not Alabama? I really thought ESPN was going to pick up the Bama game...
Unless something has changed CBS has first pick of SEC games every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I just have to chuckle at Vern and personally, I think Gary is one of the best analysts out there, right up with Blackledge and Herbstreit.
I agree with you on both guys except when Gary feels compelled to go on and on about something to prove himself right. If he stopped that practice, I wouldn't have any big complaints with the duo.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree with you on both guys except when Gary feels compelled to go on and on about something to prove himself right. If he stopped that practice, I wouldn't have any big complaints with the duo.
My big gripe also. I predict to my wife when he's going to mount his high-horse and ride off into the sunset with it... :)

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Unless something has changed CBS has first pick of SEC games every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think ESPN may have the first choice a time or two during the season. My guess is that CBS and ESPN struck some kind of deal to allow CBS to televise this game much like they did with the Bama-LSU game in 2011.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.