Alabama-Auburn - 2:30 Kickoff on CBS

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Is it just me Earle, or has GD been drinkin some Bama Kool-aid lately with all the compliments he gives?....Use to not hear anything outta his pie hole that was complimentary about us.
Well, he's knowledgeable and, face it, it's mostly Bama he's getting to see live, week in week out. He criticizes when there's something there to criticize and there's just not much...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
20 years from now, the same folks complaining the loudest now about Verne and Gary will be telling others how terrible the then current pair of broadcasters is and about the good ole days of Verne and Gary.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I'll guarantee you that your favorite pair of announcers has a ton of people who hate them. And the Pac 12 and Big 12 hate Fox. The SEC hates CBS. I suppose the Big 10 and ACC hate ABC too, but I never visit their boards. I wonder if ND is happy with NBC?, lol

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I'll guarantee you that your favorite pair of announcers has a ton of people who hate them. And the Pac 12 and Big 12 hate Fox. The SEC hates CBS. I suppose the Big 10 and ACC hate ABC too, but I never visit their boards. I wonder if ND is happy with NBC?, lol
After watching FOX destroy the US Open last summer I can see why the Pac 12 and Big 12 hate them so we are lucky in that respect. What I would give to have Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles one more time. Vintage.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I think ESPN used to - but CBS new deal in 2013 gave them 1st choice every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That must have occurred prior to 2013. This story is datelined May 14, 2013:

SEC, CBS rework long-term contract

"The Southeastern Conference and CBS have reworked their long-term contract in light of the SEC's new 24-hour channel and the additions of Texas A&M and Missouri, according to sources.The terms of the deal are expected to remain intact ($55 million per year until 2023-24), with CBS lifting the exclusive 3:30 p.m. broadcast window so the SEC can air football games on its ESPN-operated channel on Saturdays.
CBS owned exclusive rights to the prime broadcast spot for its “SEC on CBS” game of the week. CBS still picks the top SEC game each week and owns rights to the league championship game in Atlanta."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...er/22244033/sec-cbs-rework-long-term-contract

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
Last week there was a link to a Baylor forum about how SEC football should be in a museum and in the thread it was mentioned that someone could watch two or three PAC10 or Big 10 games at the same time and never miss a play in an SEC game. Although I disagree with the main point of the thread, I do agree the Commercial Broadcasting Service does waste a lot of time and goes to a lengthy commercial break on every change of possession and time out. I know it is all about the $ but in addition to not hearing from the duo, this is the primary reason why I hate CBS games.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've just seen this way too many times before.

When the old blowhard Howard Cosell - the man whose picture is next to arrogant narcissist in the dictionary - was calling games they used to have contests where drunk fans won the right to throw a brick at a large screen TV when Howard was on the picture. Don Meredith was a bumpkin who didn't understand football.

Then they got replaced by OJ Simpson and Joe Namath on MNF and all of a sudden the same folks who couldn't stand the announcers told us how much they missed it 'back in the old days when Howard, Giff, and Dandy Don told it like it was.'

Frank Broyles was a droning imbecile when he was a broadcaster. The moment he left the booth people talked about how much better he was than the lounge show acts that followed him.

And for the life of me I can't figure out the nostalgia people have for Pat Summerall and John Madden. Pat Summerall made Verne Lundquist look like he was actually paying attention to the game. Go back and find films of Summerall calling a game. Virtually every single one of them has something like the following:

"Aikman lets fly.....he hits Harper.....Alvin Harper and Harper is gonna go for the touchdown for Dallas.......I beg your pardon, that's Irvin. Michael Irvin. Touchdown Cowboys." This dude begged more pardons than a convicted felon. And John Madden........I mean, he doesn't like Frank Caliendo and I think it's because Frank's impersonation is a little too dead on accurate for Madden to like.

I can take you back to the 1985 World Series and letters to The Sporting News moaning about how terrible the three announcers were during that series - Al Michaels, Jim Palmer, and Tim McCarver. Five years later when they were never going to be together again, fans talked about how great they were together.

The one guy I never heard any complaints about was Keith Jackson.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL

When the old blowhard Howard Cosell - the man whose picture is next to arrogant narcissist in the dictionary - was calling games they used to have contests where drunk fans won the right to throw a brick at a large screen TV when Howard was on the picture. Don Meredith was a bumpkin who didn't understand football.

Then they got replaced by OJ Simpson and Joe Namath on MNF and all of a sudden the same folks who couldn't stand the announcers told us how much they missed it 'back in the old days when Howard, Giff, and Dandy Don told it like it was.'

Frank Broyles was a droning imbecile when he was a broadcaster. The moment he left the booth people talked about how much better he was than the lounge show acts that followed him.

And for the life of me I can't figure out the nostalgia people have for Pat Summerall and John Madden. Pat Summerall made Verne Lundquist look like he was actually paying attention to the game. Go back and find films of Summerall calling a game. Virtually every single one of them has something like the following:

"Aikman lets fly.....he hits Harper.....Alvin Harper and Harper is gonna go for the touchdown for Dallas.......I beg your pardon, that's Irvin. Michael Irvin. Touchdown Cowboys." This dude begged more pardons than a convicted felon. And John Madden........I mean, he doesn't like Frank Caliendo and I think it's because Frank's impersonation is a little too dead on accurate for Madden to like.

I can take you back to the 1985 World Series and letters to The Sporting News moaning about how terrible the three announcers were during that series - Al Michaels, Jim Palmer, and Tim McCarver. Five years later when they were never going to be together again, fans talked about how great they were together.

My all-time favorite. I loved his down home, folksy way of speaking. Sadly, I don't believe we'll ever have another like him.:frown:

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
After watching FOX destroy the US Open last summer I can see why the Pac 12 and Big 12 hate them so we are lucky in that respect. What I would give to have Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles one more time. Vintage.
Go back and watch the 92 Bama vs Miami game, You can just hear it in Keith Jacksons voice he was tickled that Bama whipped them. Nothing he said just his inflection

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I was a kid, so I don't remember the details, but I loved Pat Summerall because of his classic voice. I do remember late in his career, he did a little college football for Fox. It seems like he did some Cotton Bowls. And he was really off on the names and details.

But Keith Jackson? Yes, he is the best of all time and I don't see him being topped ever. The reason for that is the saturation of broadcasts these days. Back then, with the ncaa restrictions, he was darn near the lone voice of all of college football. That changed some in the 80s after the ncaa lost broadcast rights. But still, his legacy was set.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I was a HUGE Keith Jackson fan back in the day but even he was not nearly as good late in his career as when he was in his prime. I never was crazy about Bob Griese as his sidekick, they just never seemed to mesh very well IMHO. If I'm not mistaken KJ warned Mike Price about taking the Bama job because he knew that Price's womanizing and drinking would not turn out well in the deep south.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I've just seen this way too many times before...

...The one guy I never heard any complaints about was Keith Jackson.
I never thought about that before, but Summerall was VERY Lundsquist-like. Madden, much like Chris Berman, became a caricature of himself. The only guy you mentioned that I absolutely couldn't listen to was McCarver. He acted like he was the only person on the face of the earth who REALLY understood baseball. But, having met him a couple of times, he was just as insufferable in person. Regardless of the topic.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Apologies to those who have read similar from me before . . . The Blackledge/Nessler combo is as good as any I have heard, and yes I heard Keith Jackson in his prime. He was GREAT, but both Broyles and Griese were mediocre at best.

I would take Nessler and Blackledge over Jackson and whatever second banana he was teamed.

Wish they could subcontract to CBS for SEC games.

Last edited:

22Musso22

The Blackledge/Nessler combo is the only combo worthy of listening to TV wise these days.

Keith Jackson is one of the all time best broadcasters though.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I really liked Keith Jackson, he was the best ever for me. There was a guy named Chris Shekel about the same time Keith was on. He also did Wide World of Sports if I remember correctly. He was a really good game caller also. RTR!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.