Pass Interference Calls Against Alabama

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Neither the Ole Miss game nor the Ohio State game were lost because of this technique. And even if they were, they would be the exceptions that prove the technique works. I'm dumbfounded by this criticism.
Why don't we just agree to disagree. I don't like the technique. You do.
No problem :) Have a good night and Roll Tide!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It's taught because it works. CBs are like hitters in baseball. They will fail, they will strike out. A perfectly thrown ball always beats good coverage. It's about trusting your technique, limiting opportunities, and making the other guy perform perfectly. And not dwelling on it when you fail.
i heard gary making this point a few times this year. its annoying when he goes through all of the "ways" you can beat bama, but he always acknowledges that it is no easy feat to play flawlessly, especially for four quarters.

i love watching our d. they are devastatingly effective. so what if we give up a few plays (or points) here or there, they will beat you into submission.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Sugar Bowl...
Trevor Knight..now a tight end at Oklahoma plus..Sugar Bowl... Cardale Jones, now the backup QB at Ohio State..

Passes--50-79
Reception yardage--- 591 yards
Scores---- 5 Touchdowns

Ole Miss 2015-Chad Kelly
Passes--18-33
Yardage----341 yards
3 Touchdowns

2015 OLE MISS

B0 Wallace
18-31
251 Yards
3 Touchdowns

That's our last four losses..

QB Passing in those games-

86 Completions in 143 attempts
1,183 yards
12 touchdown passes..

Not one time was it a screen pass or a receiver catching the ball in front of the defensive back, turning around, making a move, and running to the end zone.

Every single one was the receiver catching the ball behind the secondary who never turned to find the ball, EXCEPT, for the absolute fluke play against Ole Miss.

I don't want to start a war, and I'm actually a really really nice guy!!! But facts are facts, and we've faced four teams who have said, "They can't cover because they don't find the ball", and guess what, all four have have kicked our butt. It's that simple.
If we are fortunate enough to beat Auburn and play Florida for the SEC Title, look for Coach Mac to throw at our All SEC corner about 25 times, and don't be surprised if they beat us.
Pride goeth before the fall.
sip

Last edited:

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
As long as our DB's don't turn and look for the ball we will continue to get these calls. Don't know why we continue to do this.
My high-school son has been saying this even as far back as last year if he can pick that out cant the coaches? Now my son is a football player and very defense minded but still..... He's only 15 LOL!! :biggrin:

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Sugar Bowl...
Trevor Knight..now a tight end at Oklahoma plus..Sugar Bowl... Cardale Jones, now the backup QB at Ohio State..

Passes--50-79
Scores---- 5 Touchdowns

Ole Miss 2015-Chad Kelly
Passes--18-33
Yardage----341 yards
3 Touchdowns

2015 OLE MISS

B0 Wallace
18-31
251 Yards
3 Touchdowns

1,183 yards
12 touchdown passes..

Not one time was it a screen pass or a receiver catching the ball in front of the defensive back, turning around, making a move, and running to the end zone.

Every single one was the receiver catching the ball behind the secondary who never turned to find the ball, EXCEPT, for the absolute fluke play against Ole Miss.

I don't want to start a war, and I'm actually a really really nice guy!!! But facts are facts, and we've faced four teams who have said, "They can't cover because they don't find the ball", and guess what, all four have have kicked our butt. It's that simple.
If we are fortunate enough to beat Auburn and play Florida for the SEC Title, look for Coach Mac to throw at our All SEC corner about 25 times, and don't be surprised if they beat us.
sip
Wake em up, sip. Gotta stay hard on them.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Sugar Bowl...

Passes--50-79
Scores---- 5 Touchdowns

Ole Miss 2015-Chad Kelly
Passes--18-33
Yardage----341 yards
3 Touchdowns

2015 OLE MISS

B0 Wallace
18-31
251 Yards
3 Touchdowns

1,183 yards
12 touchdown passes..

sip
As Bobby Boucher said, Mama's wrong again...

Don't trust me though, let's look at the plays.

Bama vs OU: OU's TD passes are at :12, :45, 1:42, and 3:10. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utrRNVv9Cms

:12 - Collins is looking at the QB, just misjudges his jump and misses the ball.

:45 - Ha Ha is looking at the QB and has great coverage. Ha ha reaches out and tries to defend the pass, but the throw is just a perfect pass and out Ha Ha's reach.

1:42 - Belue turns around and looks for the ball at the about :12 yard line and gets smoked. This is the textbook example of getting out of phase.

3:10 - OU's QB extends the play and throws back across his body and Collins is standing in the end zone watching him. The WR comes back to the ball and makes the catch.

Not TD throws, but notable.

2:48 - This is the kind pass completion that you are complaining about (and the kind you seem to remember the all TD passes being). Jarrick Williams never turns his head, but he it is 15 - 16 yard pass completion.

3:00 - Eddie turns back to find the ball, but gets beat for a 40 yard completion. Once again, not seeing the ball IS NOT why he got beat. There's a reason Eddie is playing Safety this year.

None of the big scoring plays are the kind of pass you and others are saying they are. The DB saw the ball on every play, but they just didn't make the play. This myth that all you have to do is turn your and you're good is just that - a myth. The DB has to maintain coverage and actually make the play.

Bama vs tOSU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pX2i8tpgGk

OSU's TD passes are are at :16 and :41

:16 - Cyrus is looking at the QB, gets his hands up and tries to knock the ball down, but can't get there.

:41 - Eddie starts to get beat in the route, he turns back to look at the ball, and falls down.

Once again, 2 more TD's, and neither of them were because the defender just didn't turn his head and see the ball. Counting the 2 fluky OM plays (the play that defense had an opportunity to INT and the other illegal play/blown coverage pass) along with OU and tOSU TD plays, that's 7 of the 12 TD's you listed that WERE NOT the result of " the receiver catching the ball behind the secondary who never turned to find the ball" as you keep saying.

I do hope that you are correct about one though. I hope and pray Treon Harris throws the ball at Cyrus 25 times!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
As Bobby Boucher said, Mama's wrong again...

Don't trust me though, let's look at the plays.

Bama vs OU: OU's TD passes are at :12, :45, 1:42, and 3:10. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utrRNVv9Cms

:12 - Collins is looking at the QB, just misjudges his jump and misses the ball.

:45 - Ha Ha is looking at the QB and has great coverage. Ha ha reaches out and tries to defend the pass, but the throw is just a perfect pass and out Ha Ha's reach.

1:42 - Belue turns around and looks for the ball at the about :12 yard line and gets smoked. This is the textbook example of getting out of phase.

3:10 - OU's QB extends the play and throws back across his body and Collins is standing in the end zone watching him. The WR comes back to the ball and makes the catch.

Not TD throws, but notable.

2:48 - This is the kind pass completion that you are complaining about (and the kind you seem to remember the all TD passes being). Jarrick Williams never turns his head, but he it is 15 - 16 yard pass completion.

3:00 - Eddie turns back to find the ball, but gets beat for a 40 yard completion. Once again, not seeing the ball IS NOT why he got beat. There's a reason Eddie is playing Safety this year.

None of the big scoring plays are the kind of pass you and others are saying they are. The DB saw the ball on every play, but they just didn't make the play. This myth that all you have to do is turn your and you're good is just that - a myth. The DB has to maintain coverage and actually make the play.

Bama vs tOSU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pX2i8tpgGk

OSU's TD passes are are at :16 and :41

:16 - Cyrus is looking at the QB, gets his hands up and tries to knock the ball down, but can't get there.

:41 - Eddie starts to get beat in the route, he turns back to look at the ball, and falls down.

Once again, 2 more TD's, and neither of them were because the defender just didn't turn his head and see the ball. Counting the 2 fluky OM plays (the play that defense had an opportunity to INT and the other illegal play/blown coverage pass) along with OU and tOSU TD plays, that's 7 of the 12 TD's you listed that WERE NOT the result of " the receiver catching the ball behind the secondary who never turned to find the ball" as you keep saying.

I do hope that you are correct about one though. I hope and pray Treon Harris throws the ball at Cyrus 25 times!
You know so much more about football than me. I just hope you're right, and I'm sure you are.
RTR my friend. Hopefully I'll learn something from your wisdom.
We'll see as the season progresses.
Take care and Roll Tide Roll!
sip

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
You know so much more about football than me. I just hope you're right, and I'm sure you are.
RTR my friend. Hopefully I'll learn something from your wisdom.
We'll see as the season progresses.
Take care and Roll Tide Roll!
sip
That's something we can definitely agree on. ;) I actually used to be on the other side this argument, and I'll admit, there are times where it is really frustrating watching DB's give up jump ball that if they just turned their head they would have had a chance to defend it. On the other hand, it seems the big long scoring plays are usually the result of the DB getting out of phase and just getting smoked or just being out of position. It seems that even when we give up a 10 - 20 pass when the DB's don't turn their heads or if we get a PI penalty, it gives the defense another chance to stop them rather than giving up a home run play. Our biggest problem in '13 and '14 was playmakers at DB and lack of a consistent pass rush. That has been addressed this year and I feel good about them going forward.

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)
Covering a wide receiver streaking down the sideline, just when is it the best time to take your eyes off the receiver and look for the ball? When the WR is on your hip and you can "feel him" or when the WR is out running you and you're behind him? When?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sugar Bowl...

Passes--50-79
Scores---- 5 Touchdowns

Ole Miss 2015-Chad Kelly
Passes--18-33
Yardage----341 yards
3 Touchdowns

2015 OLE MISS

B0 Wallace
18-31
251 Yards
3 Touchdowns

1,183 yards
12 touchdown passes..

sip
You apparently aren't a big fan of Cyrus Jones. I recall you making some other comments about him in previous threads.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Sugar Bowl...

Passes--50-79
Scores---- 5 Touchdowns

Ole Miss 2015-Chad Kelly
Passes--18-33
Yardage----341 yards
3 Touchdowns

2015 OLE MISS

B0 Wallace
18-31
251 Yards
3 Touchdowns

1,183 yards
12 touchdown passes..

sip
I agree. I want them to throw at Cyrus... cuz he'll shut them down :)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The issue with turning their heads has gotten better. It still needs work though. There are so many INTs that can be had if they would just turn around. I can't knock them for their coverage though.
But.. Look at the total of Ints we have compared to last year... we have improved a lot. We dropped 3 or 4 potential ints in the game against Miss State ... Tony Brown..

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Sugar Bowl...

Passes--50-79
Scores---- 5 Touchdowns

Ole Miss 2015-Chad Kelly
Passes--18-33
Yardage----341 yards
3 Touchdowns

2015 OLE MISS

B0 Wallace
18-31
251 Yards
3 Touchdowns

1,183 yards
12 touchdown passes..

sip
Our DBs certainly had some culpability in those losses with their inability to locate the ball. But it's rare that you can point to just one unit as the problem. In those games, our front 7 didn't generate much pass rush. The longer a DB has to cover a WR, the more likely it is that they come open or the DB commits a foul. You can see the difference this year with the way in which we are able to force QBs to get rid of the ball quicker, which makes life easier on the DB.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
You apparently aren't a big fan of Cyrus Jones. I recall you making some other comments about him in previous threads.
I'm a huge fan of Cyrus Jones and any Tide player. Cyrus turned the State game around with his punt return, and I was jumping around in excitement for him, and his defensive performance was one of the best I've ever seen from him.
I'm just not a fan of the technique we use in coverage, and that's really all it is.
That doesn't mean I'm right. It's just my opinion and nothing more.
I was always taught, as a DB, in man coverage on a deep route, to try and run shoulder to shoulder with the receiver. When he looks back, you turn your head inside and also look back, find the ball, and react.
Times have changed and I'm sure philosophy has changed. Receivers are much harder to cover, much bigger, much faster. I get that.
Fundamentally though, to me, nothing good can happen if you don't know where the ball is.
I don't want to be perceived as negative. I love this team and think they have improved more over the course of the season perhaps more than any team in Saban's tenure at Bama.
I just don't like the technique. That's all.
But hey, I'll just have to learn to live with it cause I don't think Coach S. will change his coverage schemes because of Lil ole me :)

But.. Look at the total of Ints we have compared to last year... we have improved a lot. We dropped 3 or 4 potential ints in the game against Miss State ... Tony Brown..
Exactly, we still have a ways to go, but it is light years better than last year. Plus, we have had a lot of coverage sacks this year too when compared to last year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.