Pass Interference Calls Against Alabama

I'm a huge fan of Cyrus Jones and any Tide player. Cyrus turned the State game around with his punt return, and I was jumping around in excitement for him, and his defensive performance was one of the best I've ever seen from him.
I'm just not a fan of the technique we use in coverage, and that's really all it is.
That doesn't mean I'm right. It's just my opinion and nothing more.
I was always taught, as a DB, in man coverage on a deep route, to try and run shoulder to shoulder with the receiver. When he looks back, you turn your head inside and also look back, find the ball, and react.
Times have changed and I'm sure philosophy has changed. Receivers are much harder to cover, much bigger, much faster. I get that.
Fundamentally though, to me, nothing good can happen if you don't know where the ball is.
I don't want to be perceived as negative. I love this team and think they have improved more over the course of the season perhaps more than any team in Saban's tenure at Bama.
I just don't like the technique. That's all.
But hey, I'll just have to learn to live with it cause I don't think Coach S. will change his coverage schemes because of Lil ole me :)
Just remember, he basically shutdown De'Runnya Wilson down. If he can just turn his head around he could do much more.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'm a huge fan of Cyrus Jones and any Tide player. Cyrus turned the State game around with his punt return, and I was jumping around in excitement for him, and his defensive performance was one of the best I've ever seen from him.
I'm just not a fan of the technique we use in coverage, and that's really all it is.
That doesn't mean I'm right. It's just my opinion and nothing more.
I was always taught, as a DB, in man coverage on a deep route, to try and run shoulder to shoulder with the receiver. When he looks back, you turn your head inside and also look back, find the ball, and react.
Times have changed and I'm sure philosophy has changed. Receivers are much harder to cover, much bigger, much faster. I get that.
Fundamentally though, to me, nothing good can happen if you don't know where the ball is.
I don't want to be perceived as negative. I love this team and think they have improved more over the course of the season perhaps more than any team in Saban's tenure at Bama.
I just don't like the technique. That's all.
But hey, I'll just have to learn to live with it cause I don't think Coach S. will change his coverage schemes because of Lil ole me :)
When you think about the technique CNS teaches, how much of our poor play in the losses can be attributed to inexperienced corners? In other words, is the technique creating the problem or is it our lack of quality depth/experience compared to previous seasons?

I don't think the technique we coached has changed much since Saban's arrival, but we had a dip in the quality and experience of corners in 2013 and 2014. Curious your thoughts.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
When you think about the technique CNS teaches, how much of our poor play in the losses can be attributed to inexperienced corners? In other words, is the technique creating the problem or is it our lack of quality depth/experience compared to previous seasons?

I don't think the technique we coached has changed much since Saban's arrival, but we had a dip in the quality and experience of corners in 2013 and 2014. Curious your thoughts.
Could this be a case where guys (particularly those short on experience) might be feel more afraid to make a mistake than eager to make a play? It might be that we wouldn't want the results of a the trade-off, but it is an interesting question: Is there something about the climate that, if it could be tweaked slightly, might allow guys to get more out of the technique?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

It seems to me to have changed in the last three to four years but I can't say that with absolute certainty. I think our corners are better overall athletically than they've been in the Saban era.
It ultimately comes down to your overall pass defense, rushing the passer and covering receivers.
Overall, we're much better this year because of an outstanding pass rush. And it's like J-Bama has mentioned, our actual coverage is outstanding, it's just that we're not seeing the ball and therefore can't make a play sometimes.
Again though, I don't want to be perceived as negative. I appreciate the effort of our coaches and players. I'm just having a good conversation amongst friends. At least I look at it that way.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It seems to me to have changed in the last three to four years but I can't say that with absolute certainty. I think our corners are better overall athletically than they've been in the Saban era.
It ultimately comes down to your overall pass defense, rushing the passer and covering receivers.
Overall, we're much better this year because of an outstanding pass rush. And it's like J-Bama has mentioned, our actual coverage is outstanding, it's just that we're not seeing the ball and therefore can't make a play sometimes.
Again though, I don't want to be perceived as negative. I appreciate the effort of our coaches and players. I'm just having a good conversation amongst friends. At least I look at it that way.
I can say with absolute certainty the CBs this year are far more talented than the 2012, 2013 and 2014 groups.

I knew where you were coming from, Sip.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Definitely better overall than the last few years for sure. Pass rush helps out and I do wish these guys would turn quicker, as it would likely mean more INTs. But after the last couple of years, I am pleased as punch with the improvement our DBs have shown. I think while we still get PI calls, its less than the past few years and its certainly better than being out of position, which cost us games in previous seasons.

I don't take it as negative. I view it the same as you; good discussion among fellow fans.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Ever think Saban went after track guys because he needed faster corners because his technique makes you slow down? Ever think Cyrus doesn't turn his head because it will create space? I'll take 15 yards over him getting beat every play.

I will also add their learning curve for Jackson playing safety. He still goes after the man, and not the ball. Watch the difference between he and Ha Ha. Dix went after the ball before it got to the receiver, Jackson goes and tries to knock the ball down at the receiver, it's cost us a few picks this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I wonder if the defensive staff teaches the players to also read the receivers hands? Doesn't matter if your in phase or out of phase the defender should always play the hands of the receiver. In this clip the linebacker isn't looking at the QB at all but he is playing the hands of the receiver and he breaks up the pass. Would like to see some of our guys try this tactic also..

https://vimeo.com/146344104

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Bringing up this old thread since so many talk about DBs not turning their heads. This tweet by Matt Bowen gives an example as to why they don't.

See here

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.