Pass Interference Calls Against Alabama

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Don't have the stats but it seems we have a PI call every game for the ball hitting the defender in the back. Typically the play is on the sideline and it's a long route. When I see these calls I wonder why teams don't continue throwing those passes. And I wonder why the defender doesn't turn around. Is it the officiating, the way we play pass defense, or . . . ?

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
As long as our DB's don't turn and look for the ball we will continue to get these calls. Don't know why we continue to do this.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
As long as our DB's don't turn and look for the ball we will continue to get these calls. Don't know why we continue to do this.
i don't get it either...all they have to do is make a half-hearted effort to look back...even just tilting their head backwards would probably be enough.

it's very frustrating.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I hope as these younger DBs get more experienced we will see them begin to read the eyes better. Although, I think one of the calls Saturday was on Cyrus - so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i don't get it either...all they have to do is make a half-hearted effort to look back...even just tilting their head backwards would probably be enough.

it's very frustrating.
i think that is much easier said than done. i know on at least three or four of those this year (and maybe more), the wr and our db were in full stride and the ball was way underthrown with the wr pulling up suddenly to try to get to the ball and our guy running in to him.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Some of the recent ones have been more of the underthrown pass variety. Not much the DB can do when the ball is under thrown and WR is stopping/slowing down to make a play.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Some of the recent ones have been more of the underthrown pass variety. Not much the DB can do when the ball is under thrown and WR is stopping/slowing down to make a play.
There may be something the DB could do in that situation if he has any idea where the ball is.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
In phrase, out of phrase method... but there has been times where they didn't " guess" right and ended up looking like a fool.. especially Cyrus. Old habits die hard. There was a play where Hump was tracking the ball but he lost his man as Eddie was racing to cover him, and Hump got lucky and intercepted the ball.

Are we that bad? no. We're #13 in Defense pass intercepted, but we're #40 in passing yard allowed.
We have Marlon and Minkah learning on the job. Theyre getting better each week. Our secondary is lot better than they were at this time last year.

Last year we were averaging 226 per game on passing allowed and 102.4 rushing allowed.
This year we're averaging 201 per game and 77.1 rushing allowed.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Also, let me point something out. Let's say if a team throw a 50 yards from their own 20 yard. At that point, if we know we don't have a chance of stopping the play, we can at least get a PI... I would take 15 yards mark over 50 yards... So sometime PI isn't always a bad thing. All I know is that we're good for 1-2 PI per game from Jones/Hump.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
That has happened a lot. We missed out on 3/4 potential interceptions this past weekend against Prescott. Tony Brown dropped several.

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
Don't have the stats but it seems we have a PI call every game for the ball hitting the defender in the back. Typically the play is on the sideline and it's a long route. When I see these calls I wonder why teams don't continue throwing those passes. And I wonder why the defender doesn't turn around. Is it the officiating, the way we play pass defense, or . . . ?

I feel your pain but a defensive back running full speed is not always able to turn his head around. I prefer when in doubt cover your man, don't get beat by the long ball and take the PI 15yd penalty.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Why teams don't continue to throw those kinds of passes? 2 reasons IMO... #1 Our secondary is NOT as suspect as it has been in the past, we're starting to get ball hawks out there and opposing Coaches know this, and they are young and will only get better. #2 The pass rush, those plays take time to develop, and if the opposing QB doesn't have ample enough time, especially with that D line in the backfield on just about every play, well to sum up, 9 sacks anyone?

Last edited:

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
The past 3 weeks I watched a lot of football...both College and in the NFL.

I watched a lot of CBs and how they played WRs on those deep patterns......and realized Bama is not the only team that has CBs doing the same things....lots of PI, deep balls completed and CBs not turning for the ball. This happened in the NFL as well........

CB is a hard position to play, especially against these 6-2 to 6-6 tall WRS and most CBs seem to be at best 6-0 or shorter.

I know I had a hard time trying to cover back in the day......now I am trying to help my son with coverage (reason I watched so many CBs the past few weeks).....he is the fastest kid on the field, but cant get the turning and looking for the ball part yet either. On offense, he never gets caught from behind once he is in the open....but he cant cover a deep ball on defense as he is stride for stride but its hard to turn and look for the ball, good thing the other players cant catch. LOL

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Why teams don't continue to throw those kinds of passes? 2 reasons IMO... #1 Our secondary is NOT as suspect as it has been in the past, we're starting to get ball hawks out there and they are young and will only get better. #2 The pass rush, those plays take time to develop, and if the opposing QB doesn't have ample enough time, well 9 sacks anyone?
Plus its hard to throw deep ball against us... Best way to get us is middle of the field or crossing pattern routes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.