How Have We Grown? A Look Back At Wisconsin.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It appears you have quotes from 2 different people there. Not sure if you think they are both from me, but I'll respond. I don't think you are being a pain in the butt.

I'd say Coker has had an up and down season. Early on it was the gratuitous interceptions and throwing into double coverage. That has been mitigated. During this time he would stay in the pocket too LONG and try to throw too far with pressure in his face. Then he started getting rid of the ball. Great adjustment.

Then he started getting more pressure consistently from rushers and started leaving the pocket more often. Understandable since the line was not performing it's best until the LSU game. Since the LSU game he has remained antsy and will leave a healthy pocket or scramble backwards into defenders instead of either stepping up or throwing it away.

So it's not necessarily negativity...in fact, I really do think he has all the tools necessary...all but years of 1st team reps. It's just observations on his progress. He has progressed and regressed in various areas. The stats show a fair amount of consistency (like you pointed out) in performance like completion percentage and attempts, it's more just looking at some of his tendencies and where he has picked them up.

EDIT: I see where you thought both those quotes were mine. I replied to another poster with his quote but the code messed up (probably my user error) and his reposted statement at the top of my post didn't have the proper "Quote" box around it. Thanks for responding!
No problem. Only thing I would like to see Coker going forward is to throw more deep passes to Ridley... I don't think we've seen that since Arkansas game. We just need to get back to where we are... a threat with pass/run offense.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I too wish Jake would just throw it away more often. And I don't blame him for being gun shy given some of the hits he's taken. However, if the price of keeping him healthy for the rest of this season is abandoning the long ball entirely, I'm ok with that. Ridley is a threat to house it every time he touches it. Stewart has the speed to do it, too, if he can just secure the catches. It's nice to have 40-yard touchdown passes, but it's critical for Jake to stay healthy.

Tell you what, bud, I'd be thrilled to split the difference.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Mullaney has been big for us. He doesn't catch a lot of balls but I think he has been important in the development of Ridley, Stewart and co.
I also wonder if his early success this season...helped OJ get a little more open and make those catches recently. Seems that OJ has been targeted more lately.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
Nice post, and well thought out. This is a group of guys who have the potential to be one of the all-time great Alabama teams. And yes, they have really improved across the board as the season has progressed. I really like their heart, fight and spunk.

22Musso22

The Defensive Line's progress has been amazing. Maybe the best ever!

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
The Defensive Line's progress has been amazing. Maybe the best ever!
I've been following Bama football a long time and this defensive line is the best in my opinion. We have had some great individuals over the years but this current group has no weakness. It's really fun to watch.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
No problem. Only thing I would like to see Coker going forward is to throw more deep passes to Ridley... I don't think we've seen that since Arkansas game. We just need to get back to where we are... a threat with pass/run offense.
That is a 4-5 second route. Not sure he had that much time in either the LSU or MSU games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I've been following Bama football a long time and this defensive line is the best in my opinion. We have had some great individuals over the years but this current group has no weakness. It's really fun to watch.
What years and under what coaches, in your opinion, have been some of the other great Alabama Defensive lines?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.