How Have We Grown? A Look Back At Wisconsin.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
It's fair to say this unit has certainly developed and changed quite a bit since the first snap in Dallas against then #20 Wisconsin. In fact I would say this team has developed and changed the most out of any Bama team in recent memory. Here are a few changes I have noticed after re-watching that 1st game against Wisconsin. Add your own observations!

#1: Adam Griffith.
After picking up where he left off last year with missed kicks left and right, Griffith has rounded out and become impressively stable as the season goes on. Couldn't be happier for him.

#2: Marlon Humphrey has matured.
After getting picked on earlier in the season Humphrey has obviously shown what experience can do for a player. Still being a redshirt freshman he still has not hit his ceiling but is no longer a "weak link" for opposing offenses to needle.

#3: The prospect of both Calvin Ridley AND Robert Foster lining up wide is both exciting and terrifying...depending on who you root for.
This is more of a look ahead but when looking back we have to remember that Foster is still a part of this team, and an extraordinarily lethal weapon. He was THE primary target early on, despite the onset of Calvin Ridley's talent. They have similar body type and body control and speed. That duo should send shivers down the spines of DB's across the league.

#4 Calvin Ridley is as advertised.
When watching early on we all want to see what 5* players live up to the hype. While there is still development and experience to gain - Ridley has filled a "go-to" gap left by Foster without a massive lack in production. He seems to get more consistent every game with his fundamentals an off the ball procedures.

#5 The offensive identity has changed.
Watching that 1st game, one could have expected Jake Coker to have an even bigger season. Obviously the individual game plans have dictated strategy but Coker's attempts per game fluctuated from Ole Miss through to Arkansas before leveling out the past 4 games. Motions have increased and Coker has been asked to make fewer reads. I've also noticed he is even less comfortable in the pocket now than he was at the beginning of the season. He remains accurate though (even with receivers dropping passes) and since the Georgia game has maintained a completion percentage of 60% or higher - including a 4 game streak with percentages in the mid-70's. The call has come down from on high. Give Derrick Henry the BALL. Since Texas A&M, the stats reflect that.

#6: The secondary has improved but still seems somewhat soft in zone over the middle.
Wisconsin had success throwing for 228 yards and a lot of that came over the middle. That still seems to be the gap in the secondary today. The space between the LB's and Safeties seems to be the softest part of a much improved secondary. It was obvious even from that 1st game the physically and talent wise we had improved. Technique has been refined and big play potential reduced...though the man coverage still yields the possibility for the interference calls refs love to throw at us. The emergence of Minkah Fitzpatrick and Humphrey and hopefully the continued development of Tony Brown and Ronnie Harrison will show even more down the stretch.

#7: The Defensive Front has only gotten stronger (somehow).
I'm not sure anybody could have imagined just how dominant this defensive line would be even after an impressive performance at Wisconsin.

#8: Reuben Foster has become more disciplined and refined.
Foster who was once a battering ram with a high risk of neck injury is now a lurking predator with the eyes, ears and physical tools that define the Saban era LB. Most impressively since Wisconsin Foster has done much better in pass protection. It seems he may just be a half step slower than Ragland but he is playing with more anticipation than he did at Wisconsin or Ole Miss. He's broken up more passes and even had a few opportunities for interceptions...thankfully LB's horizontally are not a weakness in the passing game and Foster's development is a big reason why.

#9: Lane Kiffin has (finally) adapted.
Say what you will about the "finesse" and the West Coast offense. Lane Kiffin has done something this season that Guz Mahlzan refuses to do....adapt his offense to suit his players. It hasn't always been pretty and it's obvious Kiffin wishes he could toss the ball around a bit more, but it is apparent after the Texas A&M game that he has finally figured out a successful formula for offense. In many ways last season was a perfect offense for Kiffin. A dual threat QB who could throw a better deep ball than many people thought to the best deep threat wide receiver in (potentially) Alabama's history. Oh and he had T.J. Yeldon for screens and Henry to knock your teeth out. This was CLK's first season truly developing young talent and the growing pains have shown. Inexperience at his favorite positions have forced him to adapt to smash mouth old school SEC ball and Im sure it drives him nuts...but we hurry up far less than we did early on and we don't spread it out like we used to...instead favoring motion and tight formation moves to get gaps and angles for a running game that has only gotten stronger.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
We have greatly improved. This is not the same team that took the field at Jerry's World. Each week the D has a different challenge and they come through.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
We have greatly improved. This is not the same team that took the field at Jerry's World. Each week the D has a different challenge and they come through.
It's interesting,I agree the defense has taken on a crazy personality I sometimes feel like Coker is less comfortable throwing the ball now than he was earlier in the season. He seems more at ease running the offense and getting the play going but in actual pass scenarios he doesn't seem as confident to me. Could just be a perception as that observation isn't really reflected in the stats.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
It's interesting,I agree the defense has taken on a crazy personality I sometimes feel like Coker is less comfortable throwing the ball now than he was earlier in the season. He seems more at ease running the offense and getting the play going but in actual pass scenarios he doesn't seem as confident to me. Could just be a perception as that observation isn't really reflected in the stats.
You would be too if you had been planted as many times as he has. Pass protection has not been a strength of the O Line.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
#6: The secondary has improved but still seems somewhat soft in zone over the middle.
Wisconsin had success throwing for 228 yards and a lot of that came over the middle. That still seems to be the gap in the secondary today. The space between the LB's and Safeties seems to be the softest part of a much improved secondary. It was obvious even from that 1st game the physically and talent wise we had improved. Technique has been refined and big play potential reduced...though the man coverage still yields the possibility for the interference calls refs love to throw at us. The emergence of Minkah Fitzpatrick and Humphrey and hopefully the continued development of Tony Brown and Ronnie Harrison will show even more down the stretch.
IOW, it's a cover two secondary. The middle of the field is always the best spot to target a cover two defense like Alabama's.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
You would be too if you had been planted as many times as he has. Pass protection has not been a strength of the O Line.
#Truth

I noticed several times in the LSU game when he cleared out of a perfectly stable pocket. Anytime a defender gets blocked to the outside of his peripheral vision he does not dig it. Like you said, I can't blame him. Hopefully these next few games he can climb the pocket for time instead or trying to roll left or right.

CoreGroup

1st Team
Nov 19, 2013
Dothan, Al
There are two fixable things with Coker that if he fixes our chances for a NC will greatly improve.
1. Don't throw a deep pass off your back foot while under pressure
2. Throw the ball away. Game vs lsu he was sacked 3 times, all three were times he had the opportunity to throw the ball away without taking a sack but held onto it for too long.
If he fixes these two things he will move to another level as a QB.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Mullaney has been big for us. He doesn't catch a lot of balls but I think he has been important in the development of Ridley, Stewart and co.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
There are two fixable things with Coker that if he fixes our chances for a NC will greatly improve.
1. Don't throw a deep pass off your back foot while under pressure
2. Throw the ball away. Game vs lsu he was sacked 3 times, all three were times he had the opportunity to throw the ball away without taking a sack but held onto it for too long.
If he fixes these two things he will move to another level as a QB.

1. if the opportunity is there, Coker will take it. the problem is that OL doesn't hold their man long enough for WR to get open and Coker to release the ball. The fact he's getting nailed everytime it's a deep ball is a concern, thats why we kinda moved away from that and focus on short and intermedidate passes. If the deep ball is there, it's there. I think Auburn Charleston Southern and Auburn will try and make us throw deep ball because they know our OL won't keep Coker alive long enough to throw a perfect pass. all but 1 or 2 ints were off deep ball under pressure.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Probably has, but I truly can`t remember Jake ever stepping up in the pocket when rushers are pushed to the outside.
He doesn't climb. Sometimes the pocket is tight, and it's true the protection hasn't been the concrete wall that it was for A.J. Mcarron..and he lacks Sims fleet-footedness. But there have been multiple occasions where shuffling forward would have bought him an extra 2 seconds in his progressions, which may have been all that was needed.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
As stated above the middle of the field is our weakness in cover 2. Also, I disagree about Foster. He has played magnificent and is quicker than RR. Maybe not as stout against the run...but much quicker against the pass.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
As stated above the middle of the field is our weakness in cover 2. Also, I disagree about Foster. He has played magnificent and is quicker than RR. Maybe not as stout against the run...but much quicker against the pass.
See, I think he's a half-step slower but just playing with more mental anticipation. I think he's much improved in that area. As far as twitch goes I'd say it's a push from the film I've seen. Both have that prototypical Saban LB look. Reuben has come a long way from special teams star. He plays like an every-down LB now.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Agreed on Foster, probably faster than Ragland. Ragland just looks faster most of the time because he is so instinctive, almost always in the right spot.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Very good thread. I agree about Jake. Maybe it is our porous line, but we're not even looking for the 15- to 20-yard pass any more. Is that a coach's decision or a player's inability to make the proper reads? Jake made several clutch throws to help beat Tennessee. Since then, a heavy dose of dinks and jet screens hardly qualifies as a vertical passing game.

Last edited:

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
IOW, it's a cover two secondary. The middle of the field is always the best spot to target a cover two defense like Alabama's.
Or underneath crossing routes at the point where defenders' pass over their coverage responsibility to someone else in the combo coverage that Alabama uses. The trouble with that is a QB needs to have a lot of poise and confidence to sit in the pocket while those plays develop when the best DL in the country is collapsing that pocket like a cheap tent.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Agreed on Foster, probably faster than Ragland. Ragland just looks faster most of the time because he is so instinctive, almost always in the right spot.
After a little poking around I found out that- out of high school- both Ragland and Foster ran the 40 yd dash in 4.6 seconds...nearly identical. Now...after Cochran got a hold of them for strength and conditioning who knows. In football speed Ragland looked a little more like glue on his receivers but that's not a comprehensive assessment.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.