Alabama @ Dayton Game Thread (Noon central tip)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Have it recorded, didn't get to see it.....not sure I want to.....

But, how did the offensive strategy look? I know we have some shooting issues as of now...but did we at least seem to have an offensive plan/strategy?

Any reason it seems Kessens and Norris seem to be playing less minutes than LY? Any insight from the experts on the board?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I see a few of your are in midseason form already...
It is fine to high expectations. But those expectations have to be tempered with context and realism. A team/program in the flux of change has to learn how best to win. Sometimes that means losing big.

The door to success is not easily opened at times. First you have to knock on it, then bang on it, and finally kick it in and walk through.

This will be a season of "knocking on the door". We are a few year away from "kicking it in and walking through it."

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Wow! i thought the game was tonight and now I'm kinda glad I did. I'm not necessarily surprised by the loss but the score does surprise me a bit. But, every team has a game where it doesn't click at all and the other team clicks on all cyinders. Again, I didn't see it but that's obviously what had to have happened. Plus, Dayton may just flat out be that good.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
In my experience you can learn a lot from this game to provide feedback to your players. I'll bet he's glad he scheduled it.

My expectations are that I hope we get a NIT invitation so we are thinking alike. Losing to this team is not the end of the season. It was a measuring stick and I feel sure CAJ is 2nd guessing himself right now for scheduling this game. I think he will learn more about scheduling as he get more college experience.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Have it recorded, didn't get to see it.....not sure I want to.....

But, how did the offensive strategy look? I know we have some shooting issues as of now...but did we at least seem to have an offensive plan/strategy?

Any reason it seems Kessens and Norris seem to be playing less minutes than LY? Any insight from the experts on the board?
I am no means an expert but my observations:

Coleman and Obasohan will need to carry us as shooters. I haven't seem any stats but I would say off the bat they both had off days shooting. Ingram has potential, but as a freshman in his second college game against a quality team in Dayton, the inexperience shows.

I was happy to see ball movement, screens, pic and rolls, instead of 25 seconds on passing the ball on perimeter and throwing up a prayer that we experienced much of the last 5 years. The execution of it wasn't pretty, but at least it is a start. We do need a lot work on offense post play, and taking the ball strong to the basket.

I think with Norris and Kessens it still too early to tell how much PT they are going to see. I get then sense CAJ is still experimenting with roles and match ups.

Dayton is really well coached and an experienced tournament team. Dayton was playing on their home floor and our big men just didn't compete. We need to use this a learning moment for the young players and a wake up call to the veterans. Rome was not built in a day.
Thanks man. I really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Our effort was good. Our shooting was not good. The team self destructed with 20 Tos, many unforced. Dayton is a good team.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
The bottom fell out after the 1st 12 minutes, but I liked that we kept playing. Hale, Taylor, and Obasahan are going to have good offensive games for us to improve in the results department. I liked what someone said earlier: When you beat your man, pull up for the mid-range shots. It sure beats the heck outta getting rejected each time.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Folks there is nothing wrong with getting beat early when you play 25 + games a year. What becomes a problem is when you don't improve and learn from your defeats.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Folks there is nothing wrong with getting beat early when you play 25 + games a year. What becomes a problem is when you don't improve and learn from your defeats.
Agreed. It would not benefit us to schedule a bunch of patsies in the non-conference schedule and develop a false notion that we are good when we're really not. *cough*Texas A&M*cough*

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
So right now at this moment, we are somewhere between Kennesaw State and Dayton.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Did we try to push the ball up the floor faster..I know CAJ said he wanted our offense to play a more uptempo..I missed the game as well cause I thought it was a night game..

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Did we try to push the ball up the floor faster..I know CAJ said he wanted our offense to play a more uptempo..I missed the game as well cause I thought it was a night game..
Credit CAJ for sticking to his plan. This season is a work in progress and this game gives them much to work on.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I liken this to when CNS came on board in 2007. We were a little above 500 that year and it took some great recruiting to get us over the hump. CAJ will get us there. Be patient and RTR.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Like I've already said, we played a really good team. The wheels came off, and things got away...but there weren't slumped shoulders or hung heads.

We pushed the ball, fought, and got beat on both ends by the better team.

Don't forget, this is something completely new for everyone on the team. They either knew CAG's slow down system, or high-school ball which is glorified pick-up basketball most places. So while this is likely a worse result than had we kept the status quo, our longterm ceiling is so much higher.

For those worried, come back in 10 games and see if there's improvement.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Even though he only hit one shot and one of his misses was an air-ball, I like the look and form of Austin's shot. Anyone know how his shot was in high school?

He averaged 18 points a game but I know many high school players score off of drives instead of outside shots. Sometimes these types of scorers can't get it done, at least no early, when they go up against the bigger players in college. I don't know anything about Austin's game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.