Question: How can Coker improve down the stretch?

22Musso22

I know this has been addressed, but the only knock I have on Coker is how he hangs on to the ball too long.

Throw it out of bounds if there is nothing there Jake.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I really thought at first that ol' Jimbo had put one over on us. That Jake was the cliche' "million dollar arm, 50 cent head" cat we've all heard about. Jake is no computer but he's got more guts than bomb squadder and he DOES have the arm to make all the throws. I remember another Alabama QB who was initially recruited as a safety, by the name of Jay Barker. By his senior year, he was really running the offense. It really is a shame that we don't have 3 more years to see what Kiffin or another top-notch coordinator could do with him.

One thing that proves to me that he's smarter than the average Eric Zeier type: he's smart enough not to throw stupid interceptions. Has ZERO ego. Just wants to win. I know he's got to be frustrating to Kiffin but he really is just what and who we need this year. He's my QB, win or lose. I NEVER thought I'd think this, much less write it. Just like Blake, he's a winner.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I really thought at first that ol' Jimbo had put one over on us. That Jake was the cliche' "million dollar arm, 50 cent head" cat we've all heard about. Jake is no computer but he's got more guts than bomb squadder and he DOES have the arm to make all the throws. I remember another Alabama QB who was initially recruited as a safety, by the name of Jay Barker. By his senior year, he was really running the offense. It really is a shame that we don't have 3 more years to see what Kiffin or another top-notch coordinator could do with him.

One thing that proves to me that he's smarter than the average Eric Zeier type: he's smart enough not to throw stupid interceptions. Has ZERO ego. Just wants to win. I know he's got to be frustrating to Kiffin but he really is just what and who we need this year. He's my QB, win or lose. I NEVER thought I'd think this, much less write it. Just like Blake, he's a winner.
I agree totally. Jake is a championship QB on this team. While he is not lighting it up stat wise, the team is following him and he shows great toughness. He's our QB and I'm happy for him and proud of him.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Yeah I agree. Norwood and Cooper would be the duo I would like to have every day on any team. Two guys with the most reliable hands and clutch factor we've had in a long time. Crisp route runners too.

As for Coker, I think the worst thing to ever happen to him was getting beaten out by Blake Sims(dang I wish he was the QB of this team). I feel Cokers confidence still hasn't returned since that happened. He looks uncomfortable on a lot of throws and mechanically he takes too long to get the ball out. I don't know if we can dumb down the passing playbook anymore. If Ohio state takes away the screens and anything underneath we're pretty much screwed unless Henry can carry us like he has the whole season sans one drive against Tennessee.

That being said I obviously wish the best for Coker and hope he proves all his doubters wrong and leads us to a National Title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Before I hit the "Dislike" button...Please explain why you wish Blake was the QB of this team?

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Throw it to Ridley, as often as possible. Let him make plays after the catch.

We basically know what our passing game is now. Poor protection has kept Coker from really developing. He still doesn't really have any chemistry with our receivers. Get it to Ridley and let him dazzle. Don't worry about spreading the ball around. Don't ask Jake to make many reads.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Before I hit the "Dislike" button...Please explain why you wish Blake was the QB of this team?
Agree, last year Blake, this year Coker, I see little difference, but both were fun to watch succeed. Next year will put an end to the one and done QB. We may have one for the next four years if my prediction comes true.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I like his guts. I like his leadership. I like his work ethic. But let's be fair: Jake has thrown some awful interceptions this year.

One thing that proves to me that he's smarter than the average Eric Zeier type: he's smart enough not to throw stupid interceptions. Has ZERO ego. Just wants to win. I know he's got to be frustrating to Kiffin but he really is just what and who we need this year. He's my QB, win or lose. I NEVER thought I'd think this, much less write it. Just like Blake, he's a winner.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Well he was the most prolific QB in our program's history and our passing game was much more fearsome with Blake than with Jake. It would be reasonable to assume our chances of winning it all this year would be higher with Blake than with Jake.

I, however, don't assume that. Because if we still had Sims (and Cooper), Kiffin wouldn't have been forced to lean on Henry like he has. We call more runs than passes and that is the team we need to be to win. Our passing game struggles might just be a hidden blessing.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Different teams, different circumstances ...

Jake through 10 games:

64.5 percent, 1,951 yards, 12 TDs, 8 interceptions, 133.1 rating.
Rushing: 59 yards, 1.2 yards average, 2 TDs

Blake through 14 games:

64.5 percent, 3,487 yards, 28 TDs, 10 interceptions, 157.9 rating.
Rushing: 350 yards, 4.1 average, 7 TDs

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Blake Sims is a better college quarterback which is why he won the job last year. Coker is not bad and really doesn't have the seniority at receiver Sims had in 2014, so I understand the decline in the passing game but sometimes it has been on Coker and not the receivers. I think if he could clean up on the short throws then it would open up the possibility for him to dazzle with his arm strength. Other than that, we know what we're getting with Coker: he's tough and can make some plays but he's probably not the QB who could've won with last year's mix (weaker defense).

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Different teams, different circumstances ...

Jake through 10 games:

64.5 percent, 1,951 yards, 12 TDs, 8 interceptions, 133.1 rating.
Rushing: 59 yards, 1.2 yards average, 2 TDs

Blake through 14 games:

64.5 percent, 3,487 yards, 28 TDs, 10 interceptions, 157.9 rating.
Rushing: 350 yards, 4.1 average, 7 TDs
Different circumstances for sure...It is/was called Cooper.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I like his guts. I like his leadership. I like his work ethic. But let's be fair: Jake has thrown some awful interceptions this year.

[/QUOTE]

I believe his brother is a pilot/military officer and that Coker may be very bright. If you listen to his interviews with the media, he comes across as laid back, but very conscience of what he is saying, and always says the right things. I think his biggest obstacle is that he is shy and introverted, but like able. Obviously from being benched that he had to win the team over on game day, and he did that in the 2nd half of the Ole Miss game. It's been good every since. That last drive, Tennessee game was important.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
If the OL gave him just a little more time... Guys could get more open, he could have time to make all his reads, he would have time to set and throw w/o getting hammered because of a missed block. Those 'Hurries' account for the majority of Cokers interceptions.

Like him or not... Jake Coker is the best we have. I happen to like him.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Different circumstances for sure...It is/was called Cooper.
Cooper deserves some credit, sure, but Blake was incredible last year. Don't slouch on him. If Coker had been better, he would have beaten Sims - we see now why he didn't. Coker is a good QB and a great leader - he's won my heart - but he's not as dynamic as Sims was.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Cooper deserves some credit, sure, but Blake was incredible last year. Don't slouch on him. If Coker had been better, he would have beaten Sims - we see now why he didn't. Coker is a good QB and a great leader - he's won my heart - but he's not as dynamic as Sims was.
Not slouching on Blake...But for people to wish that he was our current QB is a moot point. Heck I wish Joe Willie was our QB every year but that ain't going to happen either. Bottom line Jake is our guy and I think he is giving us everything he has and I am totally fine with that.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It was fun watching our offense last year with Blake at the helm and it did break records. But we all know, as Coach Saban has said, the style of offense we ran last year was not Bama football and not our identity. It also effected our defense. With Jake at QB we went back to Bama football and played smash mouth with DH and I love it. I have enjoyed this year much better than last year when we had to outscore teams in some cases.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.