Question: How can Coker improve down the stretch?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Personally, I think his biggest weakness as a passer is delivering a good ball on the wide screen passes. Sims and McCarron were pretty dang good at tossing that ball out there where the WR had an easy catch and cut up field. Still, each of those guys had moments early in their starting careers where they had the same kind of throws we still see from Coker up to this date. So it is reasonable to believe he could "figure out" the slight touch on those throws.

Avoiding the armpunts is another one but I think the passing game would get a lot more consistency if those WR screens were given a chance instead of being stopped by a bad throw before they even get going. What's y'alls nitpicks? :D

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Needs to "feel" the pressure in the pocket a bit more. Most of his INTs are him heaving it up as he is getting hit.

He need to start getting the ball out, even if it is incomplete, when the pocket breaks down.

To be fair, he has been a lot better about this the second half of the season, aside from the one pass this last week.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I still feel there are situations, especially 3rd and short, where he can fake to Henry and keep it and easily convert for a 1st down. Sometimes he still holds the ball too long when he should either take off or throw it away.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Needs to "feel" the pressure in the pocket a bit more. Most of his INTs are him heaving it up as he is getting hit.

He need to start getting the ball out, even if it is incomplete, when the pocket breaks down.

To be fair, he has been a lot better about this the second half of the season, aside from the one pass this last week.
Most of the Ints came off the pressure where he was throwing the passes off the play actions or shotgun... most of ints were on WRs... and some were on Coker... Coker should've had 4 or 5 ints.. instead of 10...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
1. He still is a little slow to pull the trigger at times. As mentioned, he'll let the rush get to him and, because he paused, he won't have the room to step into the throw.

2. His accuracy is still a little suspect at times. Not really sure this is something that can be fixed at this point though.

3. His biggest room for improvement is having the confidence to hit some deep seem routes and crossing patterns. I think if we are going to go deep into the playoffs we'll need more passing than our screens and slants.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
3. His biggest room for improvement is having the confidence to hit some deep seem routes and crossing patterns. I think if we are going to go deep into the playoffs we'll need more passing than our screens and slants.
This X 5. We either aren't calling these patterns as frequently or Jake is checking down so quickly that he's barely scanning the field.

We will physically overpower our next three opponents. But we have to become more balanced on offense to play to the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

briancm

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2003
Sheffield, AL USA
It's a shame he only started one year. We will never know if he could have put it all together after the experience he has gained this year to be something special next year. Have to give him credit for trying. He is not a terrible QB, just not polished. Hope he does very well from here on out. Pulling for you Jake, get er done. RTR.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
Feel like he still has a problem with defensive reads and coach Kiffins face shows it sometimes. Better reads would bring better consistency, fixing that comes with game experience and film I suppose. I do feel like from game 1 to now he is a much improved QB. He has shown an ability to will that 1st down with his feet and that has prolly been the biggest surprise for me.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Black is out for the year, Foster is out for the year, Drake is injured and Sims is still not 100% apparently. This for an already inexperienced receiver position.

Unfortunately, unless Sims and Drake are 100% in the relatively near future, I don't think we'll see a whole lot of improvement. Despite some good showings the offensive line is still one of the least experienced in the SEC, and a few of the guys he'd like to be throwing to are not on the field.

He's more than done that. If you look at the MSU game he was throwing the ball away.
Learn to throw the ball away instead of taking 10 yard losses.
He's progressed pretty well for me. It's not a matter of the OL giving him time. Every time they've given him the time he hurts the opponents' defense. I think if anything he needs to make a quicker read.

I don't think his last INT was his fault. OL didn't allow the play to develop. That's just me though.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Accuracy on the slants. He tries to wind up and Freddie Kitchens that ball in there, and it's usually behind them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Knowing when to get rid of the ball. He still holds on to the ball too long. Not sure if this is because he is slow in his reads or the O-line play.

Resorting to running too soon. It feels like since the Ole Miss or UGA game (where he had several key runs) he's been a little to quick to try and scramble when pressure comes. As others have said, I'd like to see him step up in the pocket more when the pressure comes.

He needs to take more deep shots down the field. This is probably a combination of play-calling, pass protection and him needing to step up in the pocket to buy a few extra seconds on deep routes. It worries me that our passing game has become very dink and dunk, like early season UGA.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Black is out for the year, Foster is out for the year, Drake is injured and Sims is still not 100% apparently. This for an already inexperienced receiver position.

Unfortunately, unless Sims and Drake are 100% in the relatively near future, I don't think we'll see a whole lot of improvement. Despite some good showings the offensive line is still one of the least experienced in the SEC, and a few of the guys he'd like to be throwing to are not on the field.
Youth at WR and a first year starter was always the reoccurring theme of the preseason question marks...and you're right a fit of bad luck with the WR position has acerbated the issues. Thats why I stuck with something that is fixable and not a hard read or route on the WRs...these guys we do have on the field are good athletes, so if Coker could get a bit better on those wide short throws then Kiffin would probably feel better about giving the en vogue RPO w/ a bubble action to Coker.

I'm also kinda thinking within the constructs of what we do well offensively: Henry is dominant, Coker is a runner you have to respect at QB, so RPO screens to the WR is a nice triple-option that can attack the constraints of a defense looking at Henry.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I think we will see a lot of the passing game Saturday if it effects this games score or not. We have such gifted receivers that can get open, and block! I want to see Mullaney get back in action. The end of the Tennessee game is a situation we will see again, and Coker hitting those passes was encouraging. I think Stewart and Ridley is the best duo yet under coach Saban. They both can get open.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
IMO all he needs to do is keep going in there. I think he has done very well given his circumstances and every week is another week of experience. He's not perfect, but I'm not worried about Jake Coker being the primary reason causing a loss.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think we will see a lot of the passing game Saturday if it effects this games score or not. We have such gifted receivers that can get open, and block! I want to see Mullaney get back in action. The end of the Tennessee game is a situation we will see again, and Coker hitting those passes was encouraging. I think Stewart and Ridley is the best duo yet under coach Saban. They both can get open.
2014 Cooper+White, 2012-2013 Cooper+Norwood, and 2009-2010 Julio+Maze still exist.

califbamafan

1st Team
Nov 7, 2005
Rialto, Calif
I would like to see him fake to Henry an keep the ball on some 3rd and short plays. I have noticed on those type of plays the defense keys on Henry this leaves an opening for Coker to gain good yardage.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
If the OL can not block this week then everyone will finally realize most of the problems on offense this year.....

I have complained about Coker, I have complained about Kiffin, I have complained about so many negative plays. The one constant in all of this has been the inconsistent OL play.....when all 5 OL and TE do their job the plays gain yardage.....when at least one OL/TE busts his assignment it is a negative play most of the time unless Coker or Henry make an exceptional play out of nothing. Most of the time if you watch the game, almost every play an O Lineman misses a block or multiple OL/TE miss their assignment. And they miss it badly and the play has less than 3 seconds to develop....watch the film. And I know its hard for 6 to block 8-9, but until the OL can pass block don't expect much from the passing game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.