Link: NFL Scout on 'Bama's D-line: 'I've Never Seen One Team as Loaded'

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Start with this: In 10 games this season, Alabama has 38 sacks. That's already more than the Tide have had in any season in the past eight years. 'Bama also leads the SEC in run defense by almost 30 yards fewer than any other team is allowing. In total defense, 'Bama is yielding fewer than 212 yards per game in SEC play. That's almost 100 yards better than what the team did last season.

The biggest reason for that? The deepest and most talented collection of defensive linemen in college football. In fact, one veteran NFL scout who has been in the business almost two decades calls the Tide D-line group the best he's ever seen.

"I've never seen one team as loaded from seniors to freshmen as this team is," he said. "It's amazing. They're all huge and they all can move really well."

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I remember a year or two that we could not sack anyone without a full on blitz. The transformation is huge.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Our depth continues to amaze me. Kudos to CNS and staff for the vision and effort to recruit this group of talented D-Lineman.

I was talking to someone at work about this today. He was saying the D-Linemen that Bama has is ridiculous. I agree. I don't see how any O-line can stop them consistently. After the first quarter, or even the first series I know the OL has to be like does it ever end. I would get frustrated know that no matter who they put in they'll be as just as good as the last guy.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Our depth continues to amaze me. Kudos to CNS and staff for the vision and effort to recruit this group of talented D-Lineman.
Coach Buffoon at Arkansas made me laugh when he said they must have a machine making those guys because they all look the same, big and fast, and they just keep coming out mass produced.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..Even though it sucks that we will lose A'Shawn most likely & other talented players at the end of the season..What we have coming back is scary scary good..College football will be dealing with a D like this until Coach Saban retires, it's the media & fans fault for never shutting up saying the game passed Coach Saban by & his D couldn't handle these HUNH Offenses..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Saban has a template for DL now in this era of fastball offense: big, but not too big, yet still pretty fast and strong. And I've said it before and will say it again: Tosh Lupoi has done a heckuva job with maximizing the potential of the OLBs we've had on campus for awhile now. We're getting better edge pressure, so passers are having to step into the pocket where their OGs and center are getting bull rushed right into them. We weren't just beating MSU around the edge, we were collapsing the pocket on top of Prescott on about half of those sacks.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
In 2013-14 people thought the game had passed Coach Saban by......

But, once he figured out how to sub defensive packages in the game, it's been the key to everything. Now instead of running our DL ragged on a long drive, we are swapping in whole units every 2-3 plays if necessary.

That's allowed more recruits to play, and give our guys adequate rest. To me, that's been even bigger than anything else

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
In 2013-14 people thought the game had passed Coach Saban by......

But, once he figured out how to sub defensive packages in the game, it's been the key to everything. Now instead of running our DL ragged on a long drive, we are swapping in whole units every 2-3 plays if necessary.

That's allowed more recruits to play, and give our guys adequate rest. To me, that's been even bigger than anything else
hell, if you follow the game threads, there are still folks who suggest this every time the opposing team completes a pass

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
DL is great, no doubt, but let's acknowledge that the defensive backfield is also remarkably better this year too.

Moving Eddie Jackson to safety and the development of our young talent has transformed this group into being a weapon rather than a liability like we saw recently!

If we win a championship this year it will certainly be because of this defensive unit. I think the whole defense may end up being called the best ever in Bama history and this time it may be true!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
DL is great, no doubt, but let's acknowledge that the defensive backfield is also remarkably better this year too.

Moving Eddie Jackson to safety and the development of our young talent has transformed this group into being a weapon rather than a liability like we saw recently!

If we win a championship this year it will certainly be because of this defensive unit. I think the whole defense may end up being called the best ever in Bama history and this time it may be true!
I think the DBs are better because the line is shortening the time the opposing QB gets.....now they have to cover for 2-3-4 seconds instead of 8-10......that's a huge difference.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This DL is easily the best I've ever seen in CFB.
Funny looking back at how some in the summer mocked the idea this defense had the potential to be the best ever in Alabama history.

hell, if you follow the game threads, there are still folks who suggest this every time the opposing team completes a pass
Takes awhile for some to realize the narrative they've heard for years is bogus.

I think the DBs are better because the line is shortening the time the opposing QB gets.....now they have to cover for 2-3-4 seconds instead of 8-10......that's a huge difference.
The DL helps. No arguing that. However, there's a noticeable difference in the secondary when a QB gets the pass off.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.