College Football Playoff Rankings tonight (update on page 2)

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Re: College Football Playoff Rankings tonight?

Prediction: Sooners jump all the way up to #5 in the playoff poll tonight.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Nope. A few of them play that weekend but not all.

What am I missing here? Isn't that the point of SOS?
Sure it is, but it's still a bummer that a major power's fate might rest in how good a traditional pushover might be from one year to the next.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

My take. Notice the liberal use of IMO :)

*snip*

6. Oklahoma State Win and in. Again, a matter of opinion. I think they slip in past Notre Dame if they win out.
Baylor
Oklahoma

7. Oklahoma Needs help. Got some needed help but needs more. IMO they are fighting ND for the last spot the fact that Texas is killing it for them is a funny cruel irony.
TCU
Oklahoma State KO
Very nice. My only disagreement, really only a cavil, is that I believe if Ok wins out they will jump ND. Their movement up the charts indicates they are getting some recognition. This is Our Lady's nightmare scenario.

BTW none of these teams worry me much. Have you seen Sagarin for Oh St? Their record against top-30 teams is 0-0. Ours is 7-1. We play and beat tough teams almost every single week. It will be interesting to see if Oh St wins out, and with proper deference to our friend Big10Tider, who we all love, I think the Bucks lose one.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

Woops, my bad. I meant next Tuesday, LOL

They'll beat TCU.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Really smart ranking by the committee. Why would they rank Big12 teams in the top 4 right now when they are about to butt heads against each outer for next two weeks? That's a very smart choice. Same goes for Iowa at #5.
I seem to remember the committee doing this last year. It is like they are positioning certain teams to validate their being picked. We all know Baylor/TCU did not belong. Was Wisconsin ranked up to validate an Ohio State win? I am not complaining. I think this is the way it should be. Put Iowa, Florida and a PAC 12 team high enough so that three conf champions are a lock for the final four. Suppose Alabama loses to Florida. You have OSU, Clemson, Oklahoma State and ND. Why even play a CCG?

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I seem to remember the committee doing this last year. It is like they are positioning certain teams to validate their being picked. We all know Baylor/TCU did not belong. Was Wisconsin ranked up to validate an Ohio State win? I am not complaining. I think this is the way it should be. Put Iowa, Florida and a PAC 12 team high enough so that three conf champions are a lock for the final four. Suppose Alabama loses to Florida. You have OSU, Clemson, Oklahoma State and ND. Why even play a CCG?
I believe the only way this happens is if Florida loses to Florida State then wins the SECCG. IMO they will get in if they win out. Oklahoma State or Notre Dame will still be fighting for the other position (If they also win out).

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
What??? Why would you not play a CCG?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I tend to believe that ND is in win and they're in mode with the committee. The Notre Dame brand plus that 22-24 loss to Clemson getting more love than OU/Okie Lite's quality wins.

Honestly, I think Clemson was clearly the superior team. They had a 21-3 lead entering the 4th quarter of a game played in a hurricane deluge and got way too conservative trying to avoid a weather-induced turnover. Play that game again in a dome and Clemson probably wins by 17+ points in my opinion.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Something to consider for the Big 12 teams: Baylor and TCU both have injuries at key positions.

Does a win over TCU look impressive without Boykin and Doctson 100%?

Does a win over Baylor look as spectacular with a true freshman at QB?

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Something to consider for the Big 12 teams: Baylor and TCU both have injuries at key positions.

Does a win over TCU look impressive without Boykin and Doctson 100%?

Does a win over Baylor look as spectacular with a true freshman at QB?
Yup, I feel pretty confident those are being taken into account. There was much ado about statements indicating injuries would be taken into account in relation to forgiving losses. This seems to be a more realistic way to account for them.
Neither of those teams are the same team without those key players.

However, I just don't see it making enough difference in the end to actually tip a scale with the possible exception of OK State/ND. Barring some real meltdowns IMO most of the paths are pretty clear. Oklahoma/ND still boils down to the mutual opponent.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Which matchups will get the biggest TV ratings is going to drive this more than SOS. Whats going to get a higher rating Bama vs ND or Bama vs Okie Lite. So unless the domers loose to Stanford they will be part of the mix. We just have to keep cooking with GAS.

RTR

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Which matchups will get the biggest TV ratings is going to drive this more than SOS. Whats going to get a higher rating Bama vs ND or Bama vs Okie Lite. So unless the domers loose to Stanford they will be part of the mix. We just have to keep cooking with GAS.

RTR
I disagree. I haven't seen any evidence of the committee being influenced by TV ratings. Until proven wrong, I choose to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.