LSU Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (situation still unsettled)...

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Re: LSU Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (Per Baton Rouge Advocate)

LSU would be stupid to fire Miles. Like Nebraska firing Solich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bingo! There are those who can't accept playing second in a conference, or division, even though they can't change the order other than a temporal cycle.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

LSU would be stupid to fire Miles. Like Nebraska firing Solich.
Worse - or stupider - move. Coursin' who can say that the 'Whos BOT ain't already entered into discussion with Okie Lite's Gundy about one Cowboy coach replacing another?...

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers

I don't care what the article says - LSU isn't paying a $15 million dollar buyout to Les and + paying the buyout for his assistant coaches. It's not happening. LSU would have to pay $2M/year for EIGHT years for the total buyout + the salary of the new head coach and his staff + a potential buyout of the coach they want to hire if he has a buyout clause. I'm not abreast of the current financials of LSU so maybe my assumption is wrong but it just seems very unlikely LSU go through with it..
This kind of thing can ruin a university financially. It can be monetary suicide.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

I will never understand why Alabama is pilloried for having 'unrealistic expectations' of a football coach and LSU gets a free pass. Look at the following:

LSU COACHES
Charles McClendon 1979
Bo Rein (killed in plane crash, never coached a game)
Jerry Stovall 1980-83
Bill Arnsparger 1984-86
Mike Archer 1987-90
Curley Hallman 1991-94
Gerry DiNardo 1995-99
Nick Saban 2000-04
Les Miles 2005-15

Eight head coaches, one never coached a game, 2 national championships, ten losing seasons (none since 1999)

ALABAMA COACHES
Paul Bryant 1979-82
Ray Perkins 1983-86
Bill Curry 1987-89
Gene Stallings 1990-96
Mike DuBose 1997-2000
Dennis Franchione 2001-2002
Mike Price (never coached a game)
Mike Shula 2003-2006
Nick Saban 2007-2015

Nine head coaches, one never coached a game, 5 national championships, six losing seasons (none since 2006). No, Kines filling in one game does not count.

So in the same basic time frame, we've had ONE more coach than LSU did. And THREE of those coaches - Perkins, Curry, and Franchione - all left at the ZENITH of their popularity for other jobs. Keep in mind that Bill Arnsparger did the same thing - the guy won 2 SEC titles (technically) in 3 years and bolted for the Florida AD job back when that was not what it is now.

Yet our reputation nationally has long been that we chew coaches up and spit them out and have 'unrealistic expectations' and LSU doesn't get even 1/10 the criticism yet is far better described by those words than we are. Of all the coaches we've gone through only THREE - DuBose, Price, and Shula - were fired. DuBose technically resigned but he was gonna get canned anyway. Price gave the school no choice, and Shula's three losing seasons in four years sealed the deal for him.

LSU fired Stovall just one year after he was Coach of the Year in an internal struggle and hired - hard as it seems to believe now - a guy with a 7-23 record to replace him (Arnsparger). Archer (like DuBose) resigned but was gonna be fired, so let's call it a firing. They fired Curley Hallman after only four years (most likely due to his DuBose level incompetence in the 1994 Auburn game - if you don't know what I'm talking about, look it up because it's insane). And they fired DiNardo. LSU hired and fired FIVE coaches between 1979-1999, lost another to death, and watched another one get the Hell out of Dodge on the fastest train he could find.

And now it's Les Miles on the hot seat (if the BR Advocate is to be believed).

WHO is it with unrealistic expectations again?

(During the same time frame, Auburn has fired Doug Barfield, watched Pat Dye resign rather than be fired, ditto Terry Bowden and Tommy Tuberville, fired their only national championship winning coach of the last half century less than two years after he won the title........Auburn has, in essence, fired FIVE coaches in the same time frame.

Again - who has unrealistic expectations?)
Never knew curry had a zenith LOL

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Les-Miles-coaching-for-his-job-according-to-report-41171263

In a college football season that has yielded some unique and bizarre firings, resignations, and terminations, we could be headed for a move that would top them all. According to Scott Rabalais of The Advocate, LSU boosters are organizing to oust head coach Les Miles if the final two games of the Tigers' season go badly.

Coming off consecutive losses to Alabama and Arkansas, LSU still has Ole Miss and Texas A&M left to play in its regular season. Two weeks ago, LSU had just been crowned the No. 2 team in the country and Leonard Fournette was the Heisman frontrunner. Now, LSU fans want him gone. What a world.

All I can say to LSU is, "Remember Curley Hallman?"

Yep.
If they pull the trigger, they should be aware that when the dust settles, they may be looking at Orgeron as their remaining option.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

Never knew curry had a zenith LOL
If you were drawing it up by the X's and O's, his zenith would be his backside. Former center over the ball and all...Oh, wait a minute, you mean his zenith at 'Bama? Ah, see "If you were drawing it up by the X's and O's..."

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)

And Rush, we beat Coach Saban 31-0 in the latter part of his 2nd season at LSU, a loss I bet he still remembers til this day. If Coach Saban was still at LSU, Bama now, post probation with whoever Is coach, we would still split wins and losses. Because we are Bama and they are LSU! With Coach Saban, if course we fair much better.

I made this back in the day
I'm somewhere in the way upper right of the stands in this graphic on my 21st birthday.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Maybe LSU and Georgia can flip flop coaches for a season or two and see if the situation improves or worsens either way.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Coach Hallman. I remember him well. In a game with Auburn he had a three TD lead, I think, and instead of running out the clock he kept passing and getting intercepted. LSU lost the game and his famous defense against the critics was "If I had it to do over I would do the same thing." I knew when he said that he was goner.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Coach Hallman. I remember him well. In a game with Auburn he had a three TD lead, I think, and instead of running out the clock he kept passing and getting intercepted. LSU lost the game and his famous defense against the critics was "If I had it to do over I would do the same thing." I knew when he said that he was goner.
Yep, he ruined Jamie Howard.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

(channeling my inner selma)

the barn did not score a single offensive point in that game. they returned 4 interceptions for TDs and had a FG in the game early. they beat the whos 31-27.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

the barn did not score a single offensive point in that game. they returned 4 interceptions for TDs and had a FG in the game early. they beat the whos 31-27.
Your Inner Selma. I laughed till I hurt.

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al

All they need to do is look at Auburn. They replaced a National Championship coach (you can't take that away from Chizik), and thought they were replacing him with a guy that would win big. Doesn't look like that is working out for them.

Miles is a very good coach. Unfortunately, he is in the same division with Saban.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Just for the fun of it, lets pretend Lester Miles gets promoted to the new AD. Who would he hire to replace himself, and why?

Rich Rodriguez. He stole my dream job and now I get my revenge.

All they need to do is look at Auburn. They replaced a National Championship coach (you can't take that away from Chizik), and thought they were replacing him with a guy that would win big. Doesn't look like that is working out for them.

Miles is a very good coach. Unfortunately, he is in the same division with Saban.
That's his only problem, but a big problem it is.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i think selma would know that a fg is an offensive point

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

People can say what they want about ole Les, but let me say this....
The first thing a coach nowadays has to be able to do is recruit players.
They won't get anyone better than Les. They are loaded with talent every year.
I had a feeling they'd struggle with Arkansas. One, they were badly beaten up from their game with us, and, two, there's no possible way for them to have been fired up.
If LSU has any sense at all they'll leave Les alone.
That means there's a very good possibility that they won't leave Les alone LOL :)

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

If I were Les I would have a very low tolerance level for stuff like this coming from the LSU fans. I heard snippets of an interview with him today, he was still pandering to those grumping about him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.