LSU Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (situation still unsettled)...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: LSU Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (Per Baton Rouge Advocate)

(channeling my inner selma)

the barn did not score a single offensive point in that game. they returned 4 interceptions for TDs and had a FG in the game early. they beat the whos 31-27.
You're very close - it was 30-26. Auburn had three field goals and were trailing in the fourth quarter, 23-9. In the fourth quarter alone, Jamie Howard threw five interceptions, three of them returned for touchdowns. In fact, Auburn only had one first down in the entire second half.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Btw - you all remember Ohio State QB Art Schlister ("The Gambler" playing in the background as I post)?

On that bizarre day, Art bet a triple play something or other (I'm obviously not a gambler) that required him to bet 3 games. He had already hit the first two and LSU, whom he picked, was leading Auburn. If he had won, Art would have walked away with $32,000. A buddy was watching the game and went over early in the fourth to celebrate with him. By the end of the game, poor Art was slamming his head against the coffee table and said later if he was ever gonna commit suicide it would have been then.

(He's still in the Iron Hotel).

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama

I can't believe I'm actually going to type this, but there was a rational LSWho caller into the Finebaum show today (I know, I know....). The guy seemed to be a Les fan, sorta, but brought up a point I've never considered. He pointed out the coaching trees that sprouted from great coaches like Coach Bryant, Coach Saban, Bo Schembechler, and Urban Meyer. He couldn't name any head coaches that sprouted from a Les Miles tree. I couldn't either. Made me want to throw it out to you guys, and see what you come up with.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

You're very close - it was 30-26. Auburn had three field goals and were trailing in the fourth quarter, 23-9. In the fourth quarter alone, Jamie Howard threw five interceptions, three of them returned for touchdowns. In fact, Auburn only had one first down in the entire second half.

i would ask you if you are sure, but i already know the answer.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Just for the fun of it, lets pretend Lester Miles gets promoted to the new AD. Who would he hire to replace himself, and why?

Rich Rodriguez. He stole my dream job and now I get my revenge.
Rich also screwed him over by not taking the Bama job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004

I do not see Les beating getting LSU past CNS, or CJM in the near future. I guess it comes down to, do you want to win 10 games a year, or roll the dice and try to be the best. I would roll the dice.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I can't believe I'm actually going to type this, but there was a rational LSWho caller into the Finebaum show today (I know, I know....). The guy seemed to be a Les fan, sorta, but brought up a point I've never considered. He pointed out the coaching trees that sprouted from great coaches like Coach Bryant, Coach Saban, Bo Schembechler, and Urban Meyer. He couldn't name any head coaches that sprouted from a Les Miles tree. I couldn't either. Made me want to throw it out to you guys, and see what you come up with.
That's a interesting point. Hrmm...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Below is a list of assistant coaches under Miles who, since coaching on Miles' staff, have become head coaches
  • Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State (2005–present) - Miles' offensive coordinator at Oklahoma State from 2001-2004
  • Jimbo Fisher, Florida State (2010–present) - Miles' offensive coordinator at LSU from 2005-2006
  • Bo Pelini, Nebraska (2008–2014), Youngstown State (2015–present) - Miles' defensive coordinator at LSU from 2005-2007
  • Larry Porter, Memphis (2010-2011) - Miles' running backs coach at Oklahoma State and LSU from 2002-2009. Porter currently serves as running backs coach at North Carolina under head coach Larry Fedora, a Mike Gundy protege (Fedora served as Gundy's offensive coordinator from 2005-2007)
  • Bradley Dale Peveto, Northwestern State (2009-2012) - Defensive assistant under miles from 2005-2008, currently serving under Miles again as special teams coordinator for the Tigers.
  • Todd Monken, Southern Mississippi (2012–present) - Wide receivers coach and pass game coordinator under Miles at Oklahoma State and LSU from 2002-2006.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Ever heard of Oklahoma State? I think they've had a pretty good program for a couple of years now.
Let's see who Les has developed....
Les Miles himself
Larry Fedora at North Carolina
Todd Monken at Southern Miss
Mike Gundy at Oklahoma State

I'm not gonna dig into the stats, but two of the coaches named have a chance to make the final four, and neither of them are Miles.
Todd Monken has possibly done the most incredible rebuilding job in all of college football at Southern Miss, and is on the radar of ten major coaching positions.
Coach Miles is way way better at developing coaches than most think.
sip

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

Just not understanding the rationale behind this ... especially now. With all of the coaching changes/retirements going on the candidate pool is going to be incredibly thin with high-caliber names. And to be honest, there are only a few in the Power 5 conferences that are successful that may be willing to leave where they are. The HC at North Carolina maybe ... the HC at Temple maybe, Mike Leach maybe ... but honestly, and no disrespect ... are any of those names that you would want for LSU or Georgia? The HCs at Memphis and Houston may be better fits but again ... both of those are taking chances. HC JM at Florida was just a perfect situation, the east was arguably down and UF still had decent talent. They very well may lose against FSU and us but compared to last year, the record will still be better which in turn will make him look better. But what happens over time when he loses the recruiting battle for top in-state talent to FSU, Miami, Bama, LSU and ect ...

Back on the subject, I would at least give both guys one more year. JMO.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

Les Miles' resume is far superior to that of many of the other coaches named in the current carousel. LSU isn't about to fire him unless he starts ending up with losing seasons. Imo if Les leaves LSU it will be by his own choice, and on his own terms..

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

I don't think you can compare this situation to the UGA/Richt situation.

Richt being at UGA the last 6 years has coincided with the basic deaths of UF and UTe. He should have put together at least 4 SEC east titles the last 6 years imo.

Les over the last 6 years has had to deal with UA being dominant, the every other year good Barn team, the Johnny Manziel era, and the Mississippi schools becoming relevant. That's a much tougher row to ho.

If they get rid of him, someone will likely snatch him up quickly and he'll recruit his pants off and make that team better. Who is LSU putting in his place that lights a fire under the fan base or recruits?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC

I would say this isnt the year to fire a coach. So many open jobs and so few coaches that worthwhile to go after. Thats why I think South Carolina picked a bad year for Spurrier to leave. I feel they may get stuck with Shawn Elliot, instead of a big name coach.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

I would say this isnt the year to fire a coach. So many open jobs and so few coaches that worthwhile to go after. Thats why I think South Carolina picked a bad year for Spurrier to leave. I feel they may get stuck with Shawn Elliot, instead of a big name coach.
Shawn Elliott may not be that bad at being a head coach. Comes to mind all the nay sayers on Dabo Swinney. Dabo was just a good fit for Clemson at the right time. Maybe Elliott as a HC will bring renewed energy to the Game cocks.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC

Living in Gamecock country, I can honestly say most do not want Elliot, they want a big name coach. I dont think that happens.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

I hope this is not the case. Given Bama's won five in a row I hope he stays there a long time :biggrin2:.

Finebaum and Spears had great point yesterday. In 2010 and 2011, Les had the opportunity gain the upper hand against Saban and Bama but didnt. They beat Bama in 2010. Won the "game of the century" in 2011 and had an opportunity to win a NC over Bama at the end of the year. Then he would have had a home game the next year in BR (almost pulled the upset there too- Thank you AJ and TJ for not letting that happen). That would have given him four in row in a three year span with another SEC title & BCS NC under his belt. As has been noted on this board several times, the NC game turned this series for Bama and Coach Saban. If they had won the 2011 NC you couldve argued LSU had one of the best teams in the BCS era. It seems that Les has not recovered from losing that game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.