LSU Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (situation still unsettled)...

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Re: LSU Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (Per Baton Rouge Advocate)

i like Mullen a lot. But the point should be made that his recent coaching performance has featured the best QB the school has ever had, maybe its best player period.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

i like Mullen a lot. But the point should be made that his recent coaching performance has featured the best QB the school has ever had, maybe its best player period.
If this were Mullen's second or third year I would consider that. But in his sixth year the QB is an asset since Mullen recruited him.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I hope LSU does get rid of Les, but only so that they won't be as much of a problem for Alabama in the future. Yes, I think Les has run out of a lot of the Saban momentum, but he's proven to be a great recruiter and a solid coach. He might have inherited a sports car, but he didn't wreck it either. If not for Saban himself, he would have had two national championships, at least.

I think the odds of LSU finding a better replacement are about as good as the odds of Alabama finding a better replacement for Saban after he leaves. It's just not very likely. Les has had the second best SEC program during Saban's time at Alabama. That means something.

Also, with the high profile job openings, sure there might be a couple coaches big name coaches landing jobs in the college ranks, but I'm not sure LSU is really going to be at the top of the list. There could be real chaos in the coaching ranks and I'm not so sure LSU would want to be in the middle of the chaos trying to land an elite coach.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

I think Mullen would be an excellent choice but I think Jimbo Fisher is their first target.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

I keep thinking about the #2 in the country college football ranking they recently had - with no losses - and leading the SEC. That was what - 3 weeks ago?

For me this is all madness.

Needs to be said again - they're off their rocker if they can Coach Miles.

And one more thing - he gives the school more than a won-loss record. The man is fun to watch and a man of integrity. Those coaches don't just grow on trees.

Madness.......

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Why would Jimbo Fisher leave his cush two tough games a year gig at FSU and go into the grind of the SEC when we now have a four-team playoff? It might have made sense a few years ago but an unbeaten in a Power 5 is going to get selected esp when you play Florida as an OOC every single year.

This would the un-Urban Meyer if he did it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I keep thinking about the #2 in the country college football ranking they recently had - with no losses - and leading the SEC. That was what - 3 weeks ago?

And one more thing - he gives the school more than a won-loss record. The man is fun to watch and a man of integrity. Those coaches don't just grow on trees.

Madness.......
I agree.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

If I were Miles I'd be royally sick of the LSU fan base. For a fifteen million dollar buyout, I could even live with the humiliation of being fired. In fact, I might be goading them into it by now.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I think Mullen would be an excellent choice but I think Jimbo Fisher is their first target.
Which begs the question: Outside of backing up a Brinks truck in front of Jimbo's house, what would be the lure in going to LSU? What is it that he can do at LSU that he can't at FSU? He's only 2 years removed from a National Championship. He plays in a Power 5 conference that is probably easier to win in than the SEC, especially the SEC West.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't see why Jimbo would leave FSU.

The Corn Dogs would be stupid to dump Les.

Proxigean Tide

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
Dover, DE

Madness.......

I agree.

I definitely agree.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012

I just don't get all this talk that LSU would be crazy to fire Les. The results just do not match the talent he has had over there. Sure he's fun to watch and a great interview but at some point you need results on the field. If the shoe were on the other foot would Bama fans be willing to put up with it any longer? Not me... Now that being said I do hope they keep him around for a long time!

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I just don't get all this talk that LSU would be crazy to fire Les. The results just do not match the talent he has had over there. Sure he's fun to watch and a great interview but at some point you need results on the field. If the shoe were on the other foot would Bama fans be willing to put up with it any longer? Not me... Now that being said I do hope they keep him around for a long time!
2 reasons

LSU is not Alabama
Who would they get that would do a better job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidegrandpa

All-American

Bear had a rough stretch, worse than Les's
1967 8-2-1
1968 8-3
1969 6-5
1970 6-5-1

Had pretty good talent too

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

Did you see how many underclassmen he lost the last two years? Think how that effects your depth and leadership. Maybe he recruits and develops to well to soon? He has a track record of putting guys in the NFL maybe to his own detriment. He needs to convince some of those 3rd round draft picks to come back, easy to say when its not money I am giving up.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

I hope LSU does get rid of Les, but only so that they won't be as much of a problem for Alabama in the future. Yes, I think Les has run out of a lot of the Saban momentum, but he's proven to be a great recruiter and a solid coach. He might have inherited a sports car, but he didn't wreck it either. If not for Saban himself, he would have had two national championships, at least.

I think the odds of LSU finding a better replacement are about as good as the odds of Alabama finding a better replacement for Saban after he leaves. It's just not very likely. Les has had the second best SEC program during Saban's time at Alabama. That means something.

Also, with the high profile job openings, sure there might be a couple coaches big name coaches landing jobs in the college ranks, but I'm not sure LSU is really going to be at the top of the list. There could be real chaos in the coaching ranks and I'm not so sure LSU would want to be in the middle of the chaos trying to land an elite coach.
Going with that analogy...he has put it in the ditch more than once, runs it out of gas frequently and has gotten more than a couple of tickets.
As for being second best in the SEC...at a time when the lizards, the vols and the barn were all experiencing down years, it's still somewhat of an accomplishment; but Mr. Freeze has taken that position, and others (like Bulimic) are nipping at his heels.
If he was the coach at Bama we wouldn't be having this discussion; people are letting their personal feelings for him get in the way of "what he's done lately" and, like it or not, that's the environment he works and lives in.
It seems some don't think the who's have the right to have a coach who will have them in the discussion every year (last year they weren't in it at all). and at least have their team in the hunt until the last game of the season. They want what Bama has.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Which begs the question: Outside of backing up a Brinks truck in front of Jimbo's house, what would be the lure in going to LSU? What is it that he can do at LSU that he can't at FSU? He's only 2 years removed from a National Championship. He plays in a Power 5 conference that is probably easier to win in than the SEC, especially the SEC West.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't see why Jimbo would leave FSU.

The Corn Dogs would be stupid to dump Les.
To come to the SEC West from an already top 20 school would take a big ego, IMO. Jimbo would have to be having problems at FSU to come West.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Who would they get that would do a better job?
This is where I keep ending up - tennessee should serve as a cautionary tale to any school considering firing a proven head coach. I'm not saying it's never the right thing to do, and yes, Les has hit a rough patch, so to speak - but there are no proven alternatives.

Some say Jimbo Fisher - would you trade Les for Jimbo? He's as dirty as it gets...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.