LSU Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (situation still unsettled)...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Re: L5U Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (Per Baton Rouge Advocate)

"There is 0% chance of him returning." That comes from someone in the know at LSU. He is gone and that is a sad thing. Les go the same thing taht Charlie Mac got, becuase he couldn't beat Alabama.....the door.
Bill Curry comes to mind. 7-5, 9-3 & 10-2 and we fired him because he didn't beat Auburn in his three year tenure.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Chris Low @ClowESPN
I asked Bob Stoops about Les Miles reportedly being fired at LSU, and Stoops said, "Sometimes you need to be careful what you ask for."

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Except that we didn't fire him--he bolted. Furthermore, he dragged the process out just to make us look bad.
It seems I was one of the few who liked Curry pretty well while he was in T-town. I did see progress every year and liked it. Losing to AU stinks, especially with all of the events surrounding the 1989 game, but AU had dang good teams then. You are correct, though. If I recall correctly, we offered him an extension and a raise even though there were rumblings that some of the power brokers did not like him. In fact, I transferred to Bama from a junior college in January of 1990, and on my first night on campus for orientation, I walked over to the steps of Coleman Coliseum and watched the rally to keep Coach Curry. There wasn't a huge turnout, but it was also between semesters, so very few people were on campus. Ah, memories, it seems like just yesterday. Anyway, he went to UK; we got Stallings, who lost his first three games; we won a national title three seasons later; and, irony of irony, some said Stallings won the title with Curry's players. Hahaha, life is funny.
Edit- Staying on task, good luck with your decision LSU.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

This is fantastic and will be a mistake if they let Miles go.

Regarding Coach Saban, it is pretty amazing the perception has gone from "the process is over and the game has passed him by" after the Ole Sis game to these type articles. A sign of the times in both cases and it just absolutely makes no sense.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I see some hesitation from LSU. It might be too late though, even if they realize they can't land Jimbo or something. For the record, Jimbo is the only guy out there that seems like he might not miss a beat. He's both proven he can recruit at a high level, and that his team can compete at a high level (though not in the SEC...). Mullen or Briles though? The real question is can they recruit at the level LSU is accustomed to?

They have a top recruiter now, and good on-field results. The safe bet is keep him, the more unlikely thing to occur is that they find someone who actually knows the magic formula to besting Saban. In either case, comparing this situation to Curry at Alabama and Tubby at Kentucky ignores the rather obvious fact that Alabama is the top SEC football program and Kentucky is the top SEC basketball program (and respectively one of, if not the best program in the country). LSU isn't...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

It seems I was one of the few who liked Curry pretty well while he was in T-town. I did see progress every year and liked it. Losing to AU stinks, especially with all of the events surrounding the 1989 game, but AU had dang good teams then. You are correct, though. If I recall correctly, we offered him an extension and a raise even though there were rumblings that some of the power brokers did not like him. In fact, I transferred to Bama from a junior college in January of 1990, and on my first night on campus for orientation, I walked over to the steps of Coleman Coliseum and watched the rally to keep Coach Curry. There wasn't a huge turnout, but it was also between semesters, so very few people were on campus. Ah, memories, it seems like just yesterday. Anyway, he went to UK; we got Stallings, who lost his first three games; we won a national title three seasons later; and, irony of irony, some said Stallings won the title with Curry's players. Hahaha, life is funny.
Edit- Staying on task, good luck with your decision LSU.
I liked Curry as well and thought he did an excellent job. But the moment he even started talking to Kentucky I was over it. At that point I thought, "He can't handle the expectations that go with being Bama's head coach".

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

I liked Curry as well and thought he did an excellent job. But the moment he even started talking to Kentucky I was over it. At that point I thought, "He can't handle the expectations that go with being Bama's head coach".
Exactly. The moment he agreed to interview at KY he was done at Alabama, but he dragged the process out for another week just to make us look bad.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com

The only thing that makes ANY sense is that Jimbo wants out of FSU and has secretly agreeg to take the job if they buy out Miles. It makes sense. FSU is messed up and so is his tenure there and his marriage. Could be dying for a fresh start. LSU is one of the three top spots in the SEC for recruiting and he would get to go up against the aging lion, Saban, for king of the conference and by extension, College Football. Got the popcorn in the microwave...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

So would Richt consider the FSU job if it came open? He was on Bowden's staff 1994-2000.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

So would Richt consider the FSU job if it came open? He was on Bowden's staff 1994-2000.
I think it's just as likely that Richt steps away from the game and does something else. He doesn't have the resume or the coaching chops to sate the nut jobs in Leon County.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

I think it's just as likely that Richt steps away from the game and does something else. He doesn't have the resume or the coaching chops to sate the nut jobs in Leon County.
This is Bob Davie's third year at New Mexico and they are going bowling. N Mexico has an all time win record of 43%. Davie is set for life there, they will be in MWC heaven going bowing every year. Miles and Richt can take the buy out, go to a lesser conference where their fame and recruiting will take losers to bowls and live out the next few years in peace and quiet while going out a winner.

Imagine Les Miles at Louisiana-Monroe or ULL. Both these are losing now and Miles would no doubt rule the Sun Belt. Imagine Richt at Georgia State or Troy.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

I agree, and i remember wondering back then if people's attitudes suddenly changed about him because no REAL football coach would leave Bama for UK.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.