LSU Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (situation still unsettled)...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Re: L5U Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (Per Baton Rouge Advocate)

If Mark Richt is always on the hot seat how do you feel Les would not be? Richt is 74% and always "getting fired". Les is 78% and always "getting fired". Seems about the same problem in either place.
but les can occasionally win the big game, something that richt has trouble with.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

The crazy thing is I don't see any difference in Coach Saban's philosophy on offense. Since McElwain came on board, conceptually, it's no different today. We've added in what I would call wrinkles here and there (pistol, wildcat, some QB read draws, hurry up) but we are still a power running team with a downfield play action passing game built to make explosive plays.

Coach Saban's adjustments have been nothing in the realm of Coach Bryant switching from the pro set to the wishbone, IMO. He's really just tweaked things on offense (and defense).

But I do agree it seems Les hasn't even been able to do that.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

If Mark Richt is always on the hot seat how do you feel Les would not be? Richt is 74% and always "getting fired". Les is 78% and always "getting fired". Seems about the same problem in either place.
Les coaches in a FAR tougher division that Richt. The SECE has been terrible since Ruban left and Richt STILL can't win.

Les would dominate the East, unless CJM can sustain what he's started.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com

Maybe you don't consider LSU an elite program, but that is an elite coach's salary. If they want to go back to making $500,000k a year or so, maybe they can have more leeway.
You are right that its an elite coaches salary, but I do not, and have never considered LSU an elite program. Again, Coach Saban had them playing among the elites and Coach Miles sort of had a continuation, if you will, but if you put together a historical list of elite programs, at top-10 sort of...LSU doesn't make the cut.
There are other colleges that are paying 7 figure salaries that would love to have the potential of a 10-3 season. Not gonna get into a ....in' contest but I think LSU has had many great moments, teams, & players...a great program yes, elite no.
But I do emphatically agree with you on your last point, if you are gonna pay $500,000 a year, you do get more leeway...so the boosters in Baton Rouge don't feel as though they're getting their money's worth...I can understand that one...I may disagree with them, but its not my money:)

Last edited:

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

And that's why he'd fit in well there, LOL

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Winning 10 games isn't what it used to be, but anybody want to guess how many times LSU has won 10 games in their football history????

Before 2000?
Since 2000?

Since 2000, about the time they hire one CNS, they've won 10 games 9 times.

Before that??? Just 5 times did they win 10 games.

Basically, almost all their success, except their 1958 NC, has come in the 2000's.

They are the SEC's version of UF in the 1990's...never done a thing until a generational coach shows up.

They believe they are football royalty, when in fact, they are not.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Is it just me or it seems he is saying screw it, let them do what they want to do. Not much passion from him. So I wonder if its a done deal he is gone.
What do you expect him to do, beg for his job? And he's right, they're gonna do what thy want, he has zero say in it.

tidegrandpa

All-American

Winning 10 games isn't what it used to be, but anybody want to guess how many times LSU has won 10 games in their football history????

Before 2000?
Since 2000?

Basically, almost all their success, except their 1958 NC, has come in the 2000's.

They are the SEC's version of UF in the 1990's...never done a thing until a generational coach shows up.

You need to 'dance with who brung ya', LSU is on third base and wants to fire the guy who hit the triple.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Before 2000?
Since 2000?

It's a lot easier to win 10 games with a 13 or 14 game schedule, than it is with an 11 or 12 game schedule; going back before 92, you're comparing apples to oranges.
All I'm saying is, 10 wins ain't what it was 25-30 years ago, percentage wise.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

It's a lot easier to win 10 games with a 13 or 14 game schedule, than it is with an 11 or 12 game schedule; going back before 92, you're comparing apples to oranges.
You're missing the point, their success is basically a product of the CNS and post CNS years.

I acknowledged your point about the 10 win seasons ("winning 10 games isn't what it used to be").

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

It's never a done deal until it's announced, but it's as close to a done deal as it could be.
LSU has already torpedoed their #1 recruiting class with talk of firing Les Miles. 4 and 5 star guys want a situation where the man recruits them and is there while they are. Not in a lame duck status... Enough damage is done that even if they don't fire Les, he's likely to leave anyway.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Here's the thing, I can, will, and have said Les Miles isn't that special. I've said he just didn't wreck the sports car. But, there's a lot to that. People talk about talent and all of that, but he's been a fantastic recruiter. We commented before that anyone can recruit for Texas, recruits just line up to play for them, etc...

Yet, Strong over at Texas has the #52 recruiting class. 52! Sure he may be a better coach that Mack Brown, that's possible, but how well can a guy do when he's struggling to get a 3 star class average? Can other coaches do better at LSU than Les Miles? May be, probably... but no one can take it for granted that another coach is going to have a bunch of top 5 recruiting classes. I'll be glad if he's gone.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

I think LSU is making a mistake, but Miles is a good coach and will land somewhere major. He may be unconventional, but that is what sets him apart from others in my opinion. The grass may be sweeter somewhere else Coach Miles!
SEC Media days next year won't be the same w/o Les Miles and Steve Spurrier. Writers better bring 'NO DOZE'.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Here's the thing, I can, will, and have said Les Miles isn't that special. I've said he just didn't wreck the sports car. But, there's a lot to that. People talk about talent and all of that, but he's been a fantastic recruiter. We commented before that anyone can recruit for Texas, recruits just line up to play for them, etc...

Yet, Strong over at Texas has the #52 recruiting class. 52! Sure he may be a better coach that Mack Brown, that's possible, but how well can a guy do when he's struggling to get a 3 star class average? Can other coaches do better at LSU than Les Miles? May be, probably... but no one can take it for granted that another coach is going to have a bunch of top 5 recruiting classes. I'll be glad if he's gone.
No one puts players in the NFL like Alabama, LSU, and Florida State these days. He's lost his mojo against Alabama. (And since that is basically their season, when they lose to us, it kills them the rest of the year from a motivational standpoint). It's not his fault that he is inexorably linked to Nick Saban. It is, what it is.

tidegrandpa

All-American

Ask Texas, Auburn, A&M, Notre Dame how easy a 10 win season is, I understand percentages but a 10 win season is still a success. Look at the money these schools put into their efforts vs. results.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

That they are putting this off until after the aTm games tells me there is turmoil and two factions at work here. What is so special about one game? What if they beat them, which I bet they will, the players like him. What then?

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN

That they are putting this off until after the aTm games tells me there is turmoil and two factions at work here. What is so special about one game? What if they beat them, which I bet they will, the players like him. What then?
I read somewhere his buyout is $15M, but that drops to $12M in December. If that's true, it makes sense.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

I read somewhere his buyout is $15M, but that drops to $12M in December. If that's true, it makes sense.
Not until January, by which time several coaching vacancies will have been filled.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Miles phrasing and the look on his face are not at all positive. And Alleva's silence is deafening. I think it's a horrible move on the Corndogs' part, but I also think Les is a dead man walking.

Saban isn't coming back. Meyer isn't coming at all. Can't imagine why Fisher would. So who do they get? I can think of only Chip Kelly, who has a fundamentally different philosophy from the LSU tradition -- and we know from painful experience how that works.

I think they're about to drive a Lamborghini off a cliff because it isn't a Bugatti Veyron. They are going to regret this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.