LSU Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (situation still unsettled)...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: L5U Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (Per Baton Rouge Advocate)

Yes, I think Chip Kelly to Southern Cal is pretty dang likely. It's hard to call the SEC openings because Richt and Miles employment status for 2016 loom large on how that falls out. The SEC ADs are mostly going to hire from the pool of coaches in the Southern region or strong ties to the region, so who gets who depends on the openings. For example, I'd think that Kirby Smart would hold off on South Carolina to see if he could get a job at his alma mater, Georgia.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Yes, I think Chip Kelly to Southern Cal is pretty dang likely. It's hard to call the SEC openings because Richt and Miles employment status for 2016 loom large on how that falls out. The SEC ADs are mostly going to hire from the pool of coaches in the Southern region or strong ties to the region, so who gets who depends on the openings. For example, I'd think that Kirby Smart would hold off on South Carolina to see if he could get a job at his alma mater, Georgia.
Chip Kelly and Pat Haden would make the SoCal version of The Odd Couple. Kelly could be Oscar Madison and Haden could be Felix Unger.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

The way the Eagles looked yesterday they needed Quincy more than Oscar.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

So that's at least 2 coaches forced out of the SEC because of CNS dominance. Who thinks he ends up in Nebraska?

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Did you see them serve up a win to Iowa yesterday?
The fade on fourth and one absolutely blew my mind. Down by 11 with over seven minutes to go you have to take the points there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

The fade on fourth and one absolutely blew my mind. Down by 11 with over seven minutes to go you have to take the points there.
I don't disagree with the decision to go for a 1st down there. They were down at the 20 yard line and their offense was really struggling. They had no reason to expect that they would get that close again with 5 minutes to go in the game. And they had one yard to gain for the first down. So roll the dice and try to pick up the yard.

What boggles the mind is the decision to throw that pass to the corner of the end zone instead of playing for the first down. You turn a great opportunity into a Hail Mary with a QB who was more keen on throwing the ball to Iowa players than Huskers against a defense that was getting pressure on the QB without blitzing.

Did Riley really believe that Iowa would sell out to stop the run in that situation? If so, he wasn't paying attention to what was happening in the game at all. Iowa didn't need to sell out to stop the run. The clock was in their favor. They just needed to keep playing good defense and let Nebraska make mistakes - and Nebraska didn't disappoint.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

LSU just made a huge mistake. They'll be hard pressed to find a coach that can do as well as Les has done in his tenure there.
Les, otoh, will soon have his phone ringing off the hook from schools that have just fired far less productive coaches, and maybe from some who are thinking about it..

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

I don't disagree with the decision to go for a 1st down there. They were down at the 20 yard line and their offense was really struggling. They had no reason to expect that they would get that close again with 5 minutes to go in the game. And they had one yard to gain for the first down. So roll the dice and try to pick up the yard.

What boggles the mind is the decision to throw that pass to the corner of the end zone instead of playing for the first down. You turn a great opportunity into a Hail Mary with a QB who was more keen on throwing the ball to Iowa players than Huskers against a defense that was getting pressure on the QB without blitzing.

Did Riley really believe that Iowa would sell out to stop the run in that situation? If so, he wasn't paying attention to what was happening in the game at all. Iowa didn't need to sell out to stop the run. The clock was in their favor. They just needed to keep playing good defense and let Nebraska make mistakes - and Nebraska didn't disappoint.
Agree...could not believe they didn't take the 1st down and keep moving. OTOH, I was impressed with Iowa...not the greatest group of athletes, but they play together really, really well. I love it that their bread and butter play is tailback off tackle. Sounds like another team I know...

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011

Wonder if they get Jimbo?

He would improve their offense, make it more diverse and probably develop a QB.
Probably lose some of their smash mouth toughness though.

Can Jimbo beat Saban anymore than Miles? Heck, they may end up like Georgia, 10 wins and a good offense, but still can't get over the hump.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Wonder if they get Jimbo?

He would improve their offense, make it more diverse and probably develop a QB.
Probably lose some of their smash mouth toughness though.

Can Jimbo beat Saban anymore than Miles? Heck, they may end up like Georgia, 10 wins and a good offense, but still can't get over the hump.
Yeah, go ahead and hire Jimbo. Just go ahead and hire a parole officer for the athletic department too.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA

Does LSU have a good law school?
Do a lot of their alumni do pro bono work on behalf of the athletic department?

If Jimbo comes back to the bayou, the answer to both of those questions had better be a resounding yes.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Does LSU have a good law school?
Do a lot of their alumni do pro bono work on behalf of the athletic department?

If Jimbo comes back to the bayou, the answer to both of those questions had better be a resounding yes.
http://www.law.lsu.edu/news/2015/03...e-of-changing-legal-market-budget-reductions/

The LSU Law Center remained in the top 100 law schools in the nation in the 2016 U.S. News rankings released today. The school ranked #94 among the nation’s public and private law schools. The #94 ranking is down from the previous year in which the Law Center ranked #72, the highest ranking in Law Center history.

Some 198 accredited law schools in the nation are reviewed by the U.S. News magazine. LSU Law is one of only nine public law schools from Texas to Florida, and only one of four law schools in Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi, public or private, ranked in the Top 100. LSU Law entered the U.S. News Top 100 for the first time in 2004.

=================

Using the Les Miles precedent, don't they need to fire the head of the law school for them: a) being below Alabama; and b) dropping in the rankings?

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN

Sorry, but before CNS and CLM, who was LSU again? What has been CLM's record? Methinks they really don't recognize where they've been and where they could be. They haven't exactly been a traditional football powerhouse and two coaches have turned them into an SEC contender most years.

I think ditching Miles is a huge mistake.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Sorry, but before CNS and CLM, who was LSU again? What has been CLM's record? Methinks they really don't recognize where they've been and where they could be. They haven't exactly been a traditional football powerhouse and two coaches have turned them into an SEC contender most years.

I think ditching Miles is a huge mistake.
They have to hit a grand slam or they look bad imo. And either way, the treatment of Miles will be looked back upon with shame.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.