LSU Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (situation still unsettled)...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Les-Miles-coaching-for-his-job-according-to-report-41171263

In a college football season that has yielded some unique and bizarre firings, resignations, and terminations, we could be headed for a move that would top them all. According to Scott Rabalais of The Advocate, LSU boosters are organizing to oust head coach Les Miles if the final two games of the Tigers' season go badly.

Coming off consecutive losses to Alabama and Arkansas, LSU still has Ole Miss and Texas A&M left to play in its regular season. Two weeks ago, LSU had just been crowned the No. 2 team in the country and Leonard Fournette was the Heisman frontrunner. Now, LSU fans want him gone. What a world.

All I can say to LSU is, "Remember Curley Hallman?"

Yep.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Re: LSU Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (Per Baton Rouge Advocate)

They can do a lot worse than Les. With out his character of being a character we really might start to completely dominate recruiting in bottom of the boot.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

Derick Dooley is available. :)

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL

If this comes to pass, every SEC West coach who was at his school prior to Saban's arrival at Bama would be gone. I LOVE the process!!!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
LSU Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (Per Baton Rouge Advocate)

I don't care what the article says - LSU isn't paying a $15 million dollar buyout to Les and + paying the buyout for his assistant coaches. It's not happening. LSU would have to pay $2M/year for EIGHT years for the total buyout + the salary of the new head coach and his staff + a potential buyout of the coach they want to hire if he has a buyout clause. I'm not abreast of the current financials of LSU so maybe my assumption is wrong but it just seems very unlikely LSU go through with it..

Last edited:

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007

Yep...like I said in an earlier post, LSU fans should be wary of this. Say what you will about Leslie, but he is a dang good football coach. He is in the unenviable position of dealing with one Nick Saban - whose processing of teams and coaches is absolute, and uncompromising.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Good ole media. No way they they sack Les Miles with a bad season, no way, even if he losses the rest! Look at at his recruiting classes, his personality and what he has accomplished compared to every coach other than Saban. Foolish article and why I dislike most media. It's headline fodder for fools.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I will never understand why Alabama is pilloried for having 'unrealistic expectations' of a football coach and LSU gets a free pass. Look at the following:

LSU COACHES
Charles McClendon 1979
Bo Rein (killed in plane crash, never coached a game)
Jerry Stovall 1980-83
Bill Arnsparger 1984-86
Mike Archer 1987-90
Curley Hallman 1991-94
Gerry DiNardo 1995-99
Nick Saban 2000-04
Les Miles 2005-15

Eight head coaches, one never coached a game, 2 national championships, ten losing seasons (none since 1999)

ALABAMA COACHES
Paul Bryant 1979-82
Ray Perkins 1983-86
Bill Curry 1987-89
Gene Stallings 1990-96
Mike DuBose 1997-2000
Dennis Franchione 2001-2002
Mike Price (never coached a game)
Mike Shula 2003-2006
Nick Saban 2007-2015

Nine head coaches, one never coached a game, 5 national championships, six losing seasons (none since 2006). No, Kines filling in one game does not count.

So in the same basic time frame, we've had ONE more coach than LSU did. And THREE of those coaches - Perkins, Curry, and Franchione - all left at the ZENITH of their popularity for other jobs. Keep in mind that Bill Arnsparger did the same thing - the guy won 2 SEC titles (technically) in 3 years and bolted for the Florida AD job back when that was not what it is now.

Yet our reputation nationally has long been that we chew coaches up and spit them out and have 'unrealistic expectations' and LSU doesn't get even 1/10 the criticism yet is far better described by those words than we are. Of all the coaches we've gone through only THREE - DuBose, Price, and Shula - were fired. DuBose technically resigned but he was gonna get canned anyway. Price gave the school no choice, and Shula's three losing seasons in four years sealed the deal for him.

LSU fired Stovall just one year after he was Coach of the Year in an internal struggle and hired - hard as it seems to believe now - a guy with a 7-23 record to replace him (Arnsparger). Archer (like DuBose) resigned but was gonna be fired, so let's call it a firing. They fired Curley Hallman after only four years (most likely due to his DuBose level incompetence in the 1994 Auburn game - if you don't know what I'm talking about, look it up because it's insane). And they fired DiNardo. LSU hired and fired FIVE coaches between 1979-1999, lost another to death, and watched another one get the Hell out of Dodge on the fastest train he could find.

And now it's Les Miles on the hot seat (if the BR Advocate is to be believed).

WHO is it with unrealistic expectations again?

(During the same time frame, Auburn has fired Doug Barfield, watched Pat Dye resign rather than be fired, ditto Terry Bowden and Tommy Tuberville, fired their only national championship winning coach of the last half century less than two years after he won the title........Auburn has, in essence, fired FIVE coaches in the same time frame.

Again - who has unrealistic expectations?)

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

No telling what LSU would be today if Bo Rein had not died in that crash. He would have been there a while imo.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Good ole media. No way they they sack Les Miles with a bad season, no way, even if he losses the rest! Look at at his recruiting classes, his personality and what he has accomplished compared to every coach other than Saban. Foolish article and why I dislike most media. It's headline fodder for fools.
X2

If it weren't for CNS doing what he's doing here, LSU fans would recognize that Les has given them BY FAR the most successful decade in program history. He 110 - 31 (.780%) to date since 2005, and has won 2 SEC Championships and a NC.

LSU fans have forgotten that they are program were a program that barely over a .600% winning percentage with a losing record in bowl games until Miles took over. They feel like because of Louisiana talent alone that they should be the championship game every year, even though history says otherwise.

But hey, go ahead and can Les. I'm sure he'll have a lot trouble packing his stuff because of all the phone calls he'd be answering from schools that would love to have him.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.

I will never understand why Alabama is pilloried for having 'unrealistic expectations' of a football coach and LSU gets a free pass. Look at the following:

LSU COACHES
Charles McClendon 1979
Bo Rein (killed in plane crash, never coached a game)
Jerry Stovall 1980-83
Bill Arnsparger 1984-86
Mike Archer 1987-90
Curley Hallman 1991-94
Gerry DiNardo 1995-99
Nick Saban 2000-04
Les Miles 2005-15

Eight head coaches, one never coached a game, 2 national championships, ten losing seasons (none since 1999)

ALABAMA COACHES
Paul Bryant 1979-82
Ray Perkins 1983-86
Bill Curry 1987-89
Gene Stallings 1990-96
Mike DuBose 1997-2000
Dennis Franchione 2001-2002
Mike Price (never coached a game)
Mike Shula 2003-2006
Nick Saban 2007-2015

Nine head coaches, one never coached a game, 5 national championships, six losing seasons (none since 2006). No, Kines filling in one game does not count.

So in the same basic time frame, we've had ONE more coach than LSU did. And THREE of those coaches - Perkins, Curry, and Franchione - all left at the ZENITH of their popularity for other jobs. Keep in mind that Bill Arnsparger did the same thing - the guy won 2 SEC titles (technically) in 3 years and bolted for the Florida AD job back when that was not what it is now.

Yet our reputation nationally has long been that we chew coaches up and spit them out and have 'unrealistic expectations' and LSU doesn't get even 1/10 the criticism yet is far better described by those words than we are. Of all the coaches we've gone through only THREE - DuBose, Price, and Shula - were fired. DuBose technically resigned but he was gonna get canned anyway. Price gave the school no choice, and Shula's three losing seasons in four years sealed the deal for him.

LSU fired Stovall just one year after he was Coach of the Year in an internal struggle and hired - hard as it seems to believe now - a guy with a 7-23 record to replace him (Arnsparger). Archer (like DuBose) resigned but was gonna be fired, so let's call it a firing. They fired Curley Hallman after only four years (most likely due to his DuBose level incompetence in the 1994 Auburn game - if you don't know what I'm talking about, look it up because it's insane). And they fired DiNardo. LSU hired and fired FIVE coaches between 1979-1999, lost another to death, and watched another one get the Hell out of Dodge on the fastest train he could find.

And now it's Les Miles on the hot seat (if the BR Advocate is to be believed).

WHO is it with unrealistic expectations again?

(During the same time frame, Auburn has fired Doug Barfield, watched Pat Dye resign rather than be fired, ditto Terry Bowden and Tommy Tuberville, fired their only national championship winning coach of the last half century less than two years after he won the title........Auburn has, in essence, fired FIVE coaches in the same time frame.

Again - who has unrealistic expectations?)
Selma, you know it as well as I do , we have owned LSU since CPB, they have won a few but LSU has always been second to Bama. I can pull all the stats back until 1957 when CPB became our head coach and even with the 10 years of famine we had Bama is who we are.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Coach Miles is an elite HC that's done a pretty damn good job following Coach Saban at LSU..I think he needs to get rid of Coach Steele & hire him a better DC..And hire a QB Coach that can actually coach up those QB's he's brought in..I think with the right coaching staff that can maximize the talent he brings in consistently every year, LSU can & would be in the NC talk every year at the end of the year, just allow him too bring in the right coaches LSU would right their ship..LSU would be foolish to get get of Coach Miles I think..Georgia on the other hand should tell Richt to hit the road..JMO

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.

How about Chavis back as DC, and get Cheezick as OC and Paul Finebauma as special teams

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Selma, you know it as well as I do , we have owned LSU since CPB, they have won a few but LSU has always been second to Bama. I can pull all the stats back until 1957 when CPB became our head coach and even with the 10 years of famine we had Bama is who we are.
And Rush, we beat Coach Saban 31-0 in the latter part of his 2nd season at LSU, a loss I bet he still remembers til this day. If Coach Saban was still at LSU, Bama now, post probation with who ever as coach, would still split wins and losses. We are Bama and they are LSU! With Coach Saban, of course we fare much better.

I made this back in the day

Last edited:

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006

Coach Miles is an elite HC that's done a pretty damn good job following Coach Saban at LSU..I think he needs to get rid of Coach Steele & hire him a better DC..And hire a QB Coach that can actually coach up those QB's he's brought in..I think with the right coaching staff that can maximize the talent he brings in consistently every year, LSU can & would be in the NC talk every year at the end of the year, just allow him too bring in the right coaches LSU would right their ship..LSU would be foolish to get get of Coach Miles I think..Georgia on the other hand should tell Richt to hit the road..JMO
I said the same thing earlier. Hiring Kevin Steele as DC was a head scratcher at best.....he needs a redo on that hire. And his QB evaluations/QB coaching needs a serious upgrade as well.

I am not sure who they think is better than ol Lester out there. Because Saban is not coming back.

Maybe LSU and UGA could just make a HC trade, since both fan bases need a new face leading their teams it seems.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I don't care what the article says - LSU isn't paying a $15 million dollar buyout to Les and + paying the buyout for his assistant coaches. It's not happening. LSU would have to pay $2M/year for EIGHT years for the total buyout + the salary of the new head coach and his staff + a potential buyout of the coach they want to hire if he has a buyout clause. I'm not abreast of the current financials of LSU so maybe my assumption is wrong but it just seems very unlikely LSU go through with it..
If Miles gets another job, his salary would (I assume) reduce his buyout amount.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

I said the same thing earlier. Hiring Kevin Steele as DC was a head scratcher at best.....he needs a redo on that hire. And his QB evaluations/QB coaching needs a serious upgrade as well.

I am not sure who they think is better than ol Lester out there. Because Saban is not coming back.

Maybe LSU and UGA could just make a HC trade, since both fan bases need a new face leading their teams it seems.
It seems the common denominator here (LSU and Georgia) is they can't be Alabama. Les would have won at least one more (probably two) and Georgia would have had that one in 2012.

So ..... the sooner they realize they are NOT Alabama the better for them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.