LSU Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (situation still unsettled)...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Re: L5U Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (Per Baton Rouge Advocate)

Selma, I also thought Ole Miss firing Cutcliffe after one subpar season was moronic, especially when they hired Oregeron to replace him. I know they had a couple of nice seasons with Nutt, and now a couple of nice seasons with Freeze. But Cutcliffe has proven at Duke that he is a really good HC.

Miles has always seemed like a genuinely good person and they have completely bungled this and I believe it will come back to bite them hard later on. And I hope it does.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

Off the top of my head (and granted, I don't usually follow other conferences to the extent I follow the SEC), I can only think of two beheadings of coaches that come close to this insanity in Baton Rouge. And even in those cases, the situation was not handled anywhere nearly as badly as this.
Three, then, if you include the SEC and a gentleman who resided in your town during the late 70s-early 80s "in exile" from the coaching ranks and who currently happens to be the athletic director at his alma mater. Remember the moving van sent to Bill Battle's house as UcheaT's way of saying Johhny Majors couldn't get there from Pitt too soon? There was speculation back then that Majors' family had helped expedite Battle's "moving on" - and taking his winning percentage of somewhere in the ballpark of .800 with him because he too couldn't beat you know who. The rest is history but his record at UcheaT is history, or at least posterity, as Bill Battle never coached another game...

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

I'm just still astounded by all of this. They've forgotten their very mediocre history, and have expectations that aren't reasonable.

Now if they had painted the narrative that they think it's time for a new voice (akin to the Richt situation), then you can at least make it somewhat understandable. To frame this, by all accounts, as some sort of underperformance is completely asinine.

I don't know if you could find a better fit at LSU. This could end up an unmitigated disaster on the bayou. I know I should feel good about this, because it creates perfect chaos to take advantage of, but I don't.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Selma, great post above, but if you could take off your Crimson glasses for just a moment, how would you rate how Bama handle the execution of Bill Curry?

If I recall, his two biggests sins were he couldn't beat Auburn and he wasn't one of Bear's boys.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

BamaMoon, I know you asked Selma, but I would point out that Curry left of his own accord. Pressure may have been high, but he was not fired.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

OK....
So, raise your hands.....how many of you honestly think, if CNS lost 5 straight to the barn, and suffered through two seasons like the who's last year and this year, he would really keep his job? Let me know who you are, please. 10/3, 10/3, 8/5 and this year - sorry, you are not going to be the highest paid coach in the country with that record. It is what it is.
And Matt? Go down to BR and tell them their expectations are unreasonable - knock yourself out. Even though they only won 3 NC's (and 14 SEC championships and 8 west titles), a .649 winning percentage is something they have every right to want to see improved, and at .714 from 2012 to now (likely lower by Jan 1), it's not going to improve quickly at that rate.
They have every right to want to win, and they have every right to DEMAND the best coach in the country, especially when he is the highest paid. Last time I checked, the highest paid in any field is usually the best. LM is NOT the best coach in the country (his record and his talent bear that out), and should they choose to replace him, it's only a question of whether they get a better coach, and one thing I do know: there ain't a soul on this board (or anywhere else) who, not knowing who they will hire, can say that it will definitely be a step down. Winning two thirds of your games, at LSU with their talent, seems to me a feat that could be accomplished by more than a handful of coaches right now.
Is it right they want to fire LM? "Right" doesn't enter into it, unless it's in the context of "what are you doing for me RIGHT now?" And that - winning - is what it's all about, and I can tell you from first hand experience people in Louisiana (southern part from my experience) hate losing, hate losing to Bama especially, and they are not "good" losers.
Meanwhile....water is still wet, millions of people are out spending billions of dollars, and I'm getting hungry...

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

Selma, great post above, but if you could take off your Crimson glasses for just a moment, how would you rate how Bama handle the execution of Bill Curry?

If I recall, his two biggests sins were he couldn't beat Auburn and he wasn't one of Bear's boys.
Exactly what Engineer said, Bill Curry left on his own accord. If I'm not mistake he had a contract extension and pay raise on the table that he left to go to UK. I think he was like fRan in that he could not take the pressure of being the Bama coach.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Bill Curry's mouth did him in.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

OK....
So, raise your hands.....how many of you honestly think, if CNS lost 5 straight to the barn, and suffered through two seasons like the who's last year and this year, he would really keep his job? Let me know who you are, please. 10/3, 10/3, 8/5 and this year - sorry, you are not going to be the highest paid coach in the country with that record. It is what it is.
And Matt? Go down to BR and tell them their expectations are unreasonable - knock yourself out. Even though they only won 3 NC's (and 14 SEC championships and 8 west titles), a .649 winning percentage is something they have every right to want to see improved, and at .714 from 2012 to now (likely lower by Jan 1), it's not going to improve quickly at that rate.
They have every right to want to win, and they have every right to DEMAND the best coach in the country, especially when he is the highest paid. Last time I checked, the highest paid in any field is usually the best. LM is NOT the best coach in the country (his record and his talent bear that out), and should they choose to replace him, it's only a question of whether they get a better coach, and one thing I do know: there ain't a soul on this board (or anywhere else) who, not knowing who they will hire, can say that it will definitely be a step down. Winning two thirds of your games, at LSU with their talent, seems to me a feat that could be accomplished by more than a handful of coaches right now.
Is it right they want to fire LM? "Right" doesn't enter into it, unless it's in the context of "what are you doing for me RIGHT now?" And that - winning - is what it's all about, and I can tell you from first hand experience people in Louisiana (southern part from my experience) hate losing, hate losing to Bama especially, and they are not "good" losers.
Meanwhile....water is still wet, millions of people are out spending billions of dollars, and I'm getting hungry...
I don't begrudge them the "right" to step back and ask "can we do better?" Yes, all schools can do that. The problem is, over their history, the answer is a resounding No. They got lucky in hiring Nick Saban. No one knew at the time he would be the greatest coach of this era. Les Miles isn't Nick Saban, post-LSU, but he's right up there with Nick Saban pre-Alabama. So all this really boils down to is the same petty jealousy that has ruled them ever since he left Miami for Tuscaloosa.

Now, while it may be ok for them to want better, it is decidedly not ok to treat Les Miles in the fashion that they have. That's what is really bad about this situation, IMO, and it's what they will live to regret, also IMO. They could have fired him with dignity after the A&M game.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Curry never beat auburn at any of his HC stops.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

For starters, Bill Curry was not fired. Just like Ray Perkins, he left at his most popular point as Alabama head coach, having won the SEC and run up to 10-0 before losing in the first-ever Iron Bowl at Jordan-Hare. He was certainly under pressure, but he was by no means thrown to the wolves. There are some fans, of course, who were never going to give Curry a chance. But Curry did himself in with losses to Memphis in 1987 and the Ole Miss debacle (0 passing yards) in 1988. Keep in mind this was an Ole Miss team crippled by a devastating probation.

Curry drove back home from the New Orleans Sugar Bowl in 1990 and he and the missus decided to get out of Dodge.

Was he under pressure? Sure. What Alabama coach isn't?

But he wasn't forced out by any stretch of the imagination.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

Bill Curry had one good year at Bama. He never lost to Tennessee or Penn State(thanks to a great field goal block), but could never beat AU. I actually hated to see Curry leave for Kentucky after the 1989 season. Curry was never really liked by many fans, including many A-Club members.
I thought we were making a mistake by hiring a losing coach...Gene Stallings...to replace Curry. Shows what I know.

Bobby Bowden thought he had the Bama job in 1987, but it was given to Curry by President Joab Thomas...One of the dumbest decisions ever by Bama.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Lets talk about the Coordinators and assistants at LSU... How many will be offered by who ever the new guy is? If LSU gets a big name guy, he will likely bring a big part of his staff.

What about big name recruits? Will they commit if the coaches recruiting them leave?

Are there assistants at LSU we might want? We may loose several at the end of this season...
Are there big name recruits we might establish a better rapport with?
I see lots of upside near term for us...

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

If I am Coach Miles, at 62 I take the $15 million, meet with the players and coaches, not say a word to the media or the LSU administration, get in my car and leave.
When he drives away it should be to contact ESPN. He would be a natural as a color commentator.

IMO: Les will be seen as a good guy done wrong. A public Relations Night Mare for LSU.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005

When he drives away it should be to contact ESPN. He would be a natural as a color commentator.

IMO: Les will be seen as a good guy done wrong. A public Relations Night Mare for LSU.
Wait, you can't be talking about Miles.
He can't even string a sentence together....

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Wait, you can't be talking about Miles.
He can't even string a sentence together....
Les doesn't have to be glib. All he has to do is be better than Corso and company, eat a little grass out of each endzone and predict the winner.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com

If the PTB at LSU do get rid of CLM, then they will need to:

A. Hire a coach better than CLM.

B. Hire a coach better than CNS.

As for A., well maybe, we'll see...

As for B................HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...sorry, I got carried away...

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Hugh Freeze will only leave Ole Miss for a truly special job...I think Ole Miss is his dream job basically.
And while I believe you, not many coaches would claim that I don't think.

And on another matter, Bill Curry uses a brick to imply he was run off.

Third matter in the thread. On Miles leaving with the golden parachute, LSU should have handled this like Stallings, bit it seems like a booster leaked their laundry to the press, which tells me they are divided. They could have easily met with Miles, given him his cash, and let him resign with dignity. It will never be the same, they have embarrassed him to the point of sickening imo. Miles always defended others during times of trouble. Coaches take note of the way these things are handled.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Bill Curry had one good year at Bama. He never lost to Tennessee or Penn State(thanks to a great field goal block), but could never beat AU. I actually hated to see Curry leave for Kentucky after the 1989 season. Curry was never really liked by many fans, including many A-Club members.
I thought we were making a mistake by hiring a losing coach...Gene Stallings...to replace Curry. Shows what I know.

Bobby Bowden thought he had the Bama job in 1987, but it was given to Curry by President Joab Thomas...One of the dumbest decisions ever by Bama.
That was when JT was determined to turn UA into a mecca for academia (turns out you can have both!). Bowden thought he was coming to accept the job. Then, he found out that he was cooling his heels to sit for an "interview." He left, as he should have...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.