LSU Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (situation still unsettled)...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: LSU Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (Per Baton Rouge Advocate)

I mean yeah, Mullen has been good for Miss State, and Miss State isn't exactly the talent draw that LSU is. But when was the last time Mullen beat Alabama? Or was even legitimately competitive? "5 more minutes" doesn't count. What is Mullen's record against Miles?
Hardly fair comparing Mullen to Saban, who is a far better coach with loads more experience and far better talent than MSU will ever have...

Really, same with Mullen vs Miles - Miles may not bet the better coach, but he's far more experienced and at a school where recruiting top-shelf talent is far easier.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

I mean yeah, Mullen has been good for Miss State, and Miss State isn't exactly the talent draw that LSU is. But when was the last time Mullen beat Alabama? Or was even legitimately competitive? "5 more minutes" doesn't count. What is Mullen's record against Miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With the LA recruiting hotbed, and LSU support just about any coach should be able to do better there than they are at their current job. In fact if, I am not mistaken, Saban went there because he felt he could win a NC because of just that.

Trying to compare what Mullen has done at Miss State just doesn't compute. He has turned them into a very competitive program. Miles inherited one and didn't blow it. It would be interesting to see what Mullen would do. He seems to like it where he is.

Edit to add:

Hardly fair comparing Mullen to Saban, who is a far better coach with loads more experience and far better talent than MSU will ever have...

Really, same with Mullen vs Miles - Miles may not bet the better coach, but he's far more experienced and at a school where recruiting top-shelf talent is far easier.
What he said :)

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

I like Les Miles and I think LSU should keep him around for at least one more year although I do think a change at OC should be required. Having said that, I never liked other fanbases telling what we should do so this is an LSU decision. If they do decide it's time to part ways then so be it. I haven't read the entire thread so if this name hasn't been mentioned I will bring it up now, Larry Fedora.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

The problem I see with comparing Mullen to Miles, or really anyone with Miles is one can not assume that another coach can recruit like he has. He's been a fantastic recruiter, so there might be other legitimately better coaches, but if they don't recruit as well then what does LSU gain?

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

LSU is being very stupid. Who are they going to get? Jimbo? Really?!

USCw, Va Tech, and Miami should all three be getting the Checkbook ready to make Bids for Les. I could see him doing really well at USC if he hires a good OC.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
LSU Coach Les Miles May Be Coaching For His Job (Per Baton Rouge Advocate)

My point was simply that I don't see the sense in going after a coach who is already competing against Saban and never won a single game against him, or really even kept it close. The talent that MSU can draw obviously plays a significant part. I think Mullen is a good coach, but do we honestly think the results would be different for either him or LSU if he moved over to Baton Rouge? Would he suddenly transform into Urban Meyer? I mean even Hugh Freeze has had more success at Ole Miss over the last 3yrs, shady recruiting aside.

And comparing to Saban is the whole point of LSU's dissatisfaction, is it not?

Personally I think Myllen retires at MSU unless Texas or the Trojans come calling.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

My point was simply that I don't see the sense in going after a coach who is already competing against Saban and never won a single game against him, or really even kept it close.
If that's your standard, you won't find a lot of coaches that meet it.

Again, I think L5U is crazy if they remove Les, but I think a good choice would be Mullen. L5U isn't going to hire a championship winning coach (that doesn't have some serious issues, a la Meyer or Fisher), so every option will have some risk.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Again, I think L5U is crazy if they remove Les, but I think a good choice would be Mullen. L5U isn't going to hire a championship winning coach (that doesn't have some serious issues, a la Meyer or Fisher), so every option will have some risk.
Les' down fall has been his offense. Therefore, we should expect LSU to hire an offensive minded coach. Mullen would be a good choice because he has the name recognition in the Southeast already. If he brought Manny Diaz with him, he would have a very solid defense.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Les' down fall has been his offense. Therefore, we should expect LSU to hire an offensive minded coach. Mullen would be a good choice because he has the name recognition in the Southeast already. If he brought Manny Diaz with him, he would have a very solid defense.
Oh, Mullen with LSU talent, his Offensive knowledge and manny Diaz... Thats dangerous... but then again, I don't know.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

I completely agree with you and about that standard. I think LSU is stupid to consider firing Miles. And Mullen is as good a choice as any I suppose.

I was just trying to look at it from LSU's perspective. They are the ones itching to fire a successful coach for not being Nick Saban. If that is their criteria, I think they look outside the conference, not at a coach in the same division. If only for the perception that he will be successful against Saban. Mullen is a known quality in that department. :)

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012

My point was simply that I don't see the sense in going after a coach who is already competing against Saban and never won a single game against him, or really even kept it close. The talent that MSU can draw obviously plays a significant part. I think Mullen is a good coach, but do we honestly think the results would be different for either him or LSU if he moved over to Baton Rouge? Would he suddenly transform into Urban Meyer? I mean even Hugh Freeze has had more success at Ole Miss over the last 3yrs, shady recruiting aside.

And comparing to Saban is the whole point of LSU's dissatisfaction, is it not?

Personally I think Myllen retires at MSU unless Texas or the Trojans come calling.

Mullen can't compete with Bama or LSU consistently at Miss St but what he has accomplished there is pretty darned good. If he were to go to LSU and recruit the way Les has I think he could have better results. He's had more success recruiting and winning games at Miss St than any time that I can remember in my lifetime.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL

Like Texas and Miami years before, LSU has been knocked off its foundation by Bama. It takes about ten years to come back.

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012

Here's a scary thought CLK to LSU...All that talent under his offensive scheme.

tidegrandpa

All-American

Didn't Mack can Diaz mid season after BYU hung a bunch on them ?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I find it nearly impossible to believe this is Iron Bowl week.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I'd be shocked if CLK ended up in Stick red. CLK is likely leaving, but I suspect it will be to a lesser program who needs a splashy hire and is willing to take the chance.

I am guessing LSU has already cut a deal if they are getting rid of Les. If they haven't, they are stupid, stupid, stupid. My guess is Jimbo wants a change of scenery. FSU's athletic dept is broke and with the history of what happened in his personal life, my bet is he wants out of Tallahassee. I think he is a much better coach than CLK and would be a bigger threat to us than Kiffin.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

I will not understand this movie if LSU pulls the trigger, it just doesn't make sense. I understand the world has changed and team fire coaches left and right but, anyone they hire will be a step down IMO.

All this makes me wonder, if Saban had a string of 4 loss seasons, would the Bama fan base turn on him? I would hope not, he's earned enough to be able to go out on his terms even if he has some rough seasons.

LSU is crazy if they make this move, they'll end up like early 2000 Bama and probably go through 2 or 3 coaches before they find the right one again.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

...My guess is Jimbo wants a change of scenery. FSU's athletic dept is broke and with the history of what happened in his personal life, my bet is he wants out of Tallahassee...
This is my guess, too. It's the only only thing that makes sense, assuming the people a LSU aren't dumber than a bag of hammers. I think they may have a tentative agreement with JF. Does anybody know what his buyout situation is? Sorry if it's already been covered.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.