How does one define domestic terrorism?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I was referring to the okc bombing and terry Nichols being apart of the sovereign citizen movement . The whole point was to say what is the difference between these Muslim immigrants that could be terrorists and sovereign citizens that could be terrorists but yet we treat them as the weird uncle type people but the refugees as extremists.

As for your definition it's hard to define them because of each individual's interpretation of the term domestic terrorist. You have Eco terrorists being labeled extreme activists, and shootings being labeled workplace violence.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The left defines it as - any Republican movement that has a voice and a platform. Especially The Tea Party.

Is true Domestic Terrorism really an issue most folks worry about? I'd bet on most polling it would be very low. Foreign terrorism on the other hand would be #1 or #2.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'd define it as violent acts, with the potential to cause death or serious injury to large numbers of people, perpetrated by U.S. citizens or legal permanent resident non-citizens, carried out on US soil against people with whom the assailant has had little to no meaningful personal contact.

Takes workplace violence out of the scope, because that's usually someone who perceives himself as taking revenge for personal slights. Doesn't mean the slights were real, just that the perp perceived them as such.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
I agree with 4Q Basket Case. IMO, anyone that is trying to kill innocent people, mainly because the do not believe in Islam is a terrorist. They can be an American citizen or not American. We have people who do not agree with our government on many issues but I do not think we will have as many acts of violence against innocent people as we have and will continue to have by ISIS.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
It seems, from my perspective anyway, that most US domestic terrorism is usually driven by a belief that the government has exceeded its boundaries set forth by the Constitution and is infringing on personal liberties.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Aside from the obvious ones like McVeigh, etc., who had political motivation - and I would, like 4Q above exclude workplace and obviously insane shootings - I would nominate the Mormon separatists in the southwest. The way they subjugate women and their families, barely above slavery, and their willingness to use violence to protect their way of life fit what would be my definition...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Aside from the obvious ones like McVeigh, etc., who had political motivation - and I would, like 4Q above exclude workplace and obviously insane shootings - I would nominate the Mormon separatists in the southwest. The way they subjugate women and their families, barely above slavery, and their willingness to use violence to protect their way of life fit what would be my definition...
That and the arranged child marriages to men old enough to be their fathers is beyond sickening.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That entire Warren Jeff's clan is scary but if you know your history they aren't too far off from what Joseph Smith himself did
Not at all. Also, not that far off the way that Muslims in "traditional" societies run their lives and families. They're both drawing their practices from a couple of thousands of years ago...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
To avoid confusion I think we should use the FBI definition.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/terrorism/terrorism-definition

Definitions of Terrorism in the U.S. Code​
18 U.S.C. § 2331 defines "international terrorism" and "domestic terrorism" for purposes of Chapter 113B of the Code, entitled "Terrorism”:
"International terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:

• Involve violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
  • Appear to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
  • Occur primarily outside the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S., or transcend national boundaries in terms of the means by which they are accomplished, the persons they appear intended to intimidate or coerce, or the locale in which their perpetrators operate or seek asylum.*
"Domestic terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:

• Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
  • Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and
  • Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.
18 U.S.C. § 2332b defines the term "federal crime of terrorism" as an offense that:

• Is calculated to influence or affect the conduct of government by intimidation or coercion, or to retaliate against government conduct; and
  • Is a violation of one of several listed statutes, including § 930(c) (relating to killing or attempted killing during an attack on a federal facility with a dangerous weapon); and § 1114 (relating to killing or attempted killing of officers and employees of the U.S.).
* FISA defines "international terrorism" in a nearly identical way, replacing "primarily" outside the U.S. with "totally" outside the U.S. 50 U.S.C. § 1801(c).

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
The left defines it as - any Republican movement that has a voice and a platform. Especially The Tea Party.

Is true Domestic Terrorism really an issue most folks worry about? I'd bet on most polling it would be very low. Foreign terrorism on the other hand would be #1 or #2.
seems to be the number one threat according to law enforcement officers:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

I agree with you Cajun. Most people are more worried about foreign terrorism. But domestic terrorism is twice as deadly in the US.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/u...es-perceptions-of-top-terror-threat.html?_r=0

But the breakdown of extremist ideologies behind those attacks may come as a surprise. Since Sept. 11, 2001, nearly twice as many people have been killed by white supremacists, antigovernment fanatics and other non-Muslim extremists than by radical Muslims: 48 have been killed by extremists who are not Muslim, including the recent mass killing in Charleston, S.C., compared with 26 by self-proclaimed jihadists, according to a count by New America, a Washington research center.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
If u own a confederate flag you might be a domestic terrorist. Blue font.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.