Link: 'Big 10/SEC' interleague play per bret bielema

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I like Bielema's plan but it would be hard to coordinate. Richt makes a very good point about the FCS schools needing the "money" game to keep their programs going.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
...Bielema's concept would consist of ranking all 14 teams in both conferences during the preseason and matching them with their respective non-conference counterpart for a game that season.

"Let the best of the best play each other, and maybe the lower ones play each other week-in and week-out," Bielema said on Wednesday's SEC coaches teleconference....
So, in other words, Arky would never be playing an OSU or Michigan St. I think Brett feels like he'd have a better chance of picking up a win against whoever his corresponding middle-of-the-pack Big 10 opponent would be than playing a top-shelf team like Toledo. But, win or lose, he still gets to pound his chest and say, "Hey, we played a Big 10 Team!"

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Here I was thinking Alabama played one of the best Big 10 teams this year.

But the idea really is dreadful. If he can get the top SEC teams and the top Big 10 teams to play each other, who is likely to benefit the most? The teams in the middle tier.

A team is only going to move up so far with a win, but they can fall pretty far with a loss.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
So Alabama has to play one of the best coaches and programs in the nation every year and Arkansas gets to play Minnesota?

Sounds like a great plan for ya Bert.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
We played Wisconsin this year.
I say...let schools do their own scheduling.
Arkansas doesn't have an annual rivalry with an out of conference team. I doubt those teams would go for this idea.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
We played Wisconsin this year.
I say...let schools do their own scheduling.
Arkansas doesn't have an annual rivalry with an out of conference team. I doubt those teams would go for this idea.
The new thing to do is to pick fights for other teams and other conferences.

Of course we can do it to. I think Ohio State should have to play Oklahoma and Florida State every year. It just sounds like a good idea to me and would make up for their otherwise soft schedule.

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Who would the barn play? Is there a Big10 team with a Heisman caliber QB picked to win the conference? That would not be fair to the barn because they really should be paired with a 5 or 6 win team.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
So we would end up playing Ohio St. or Michigan every year on top of our SEC schedule that is already handicapped with opponent bye weeks, No Thanks.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Not attacking, but who cares about those programs.
It's healthy for the entire infrastructure that we share a little wealth with them imo. It's a long season, and no matter what coach says, we can use this game to tweak and work on our intermediate passing game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't give a darn about floating FCS programs. Pure and simple. I'm only critical of this mainly because I think Bert is just trying to landmine his competitors while he draws Minnesota and Indiana.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I don't agree with this exact idea, but I do enjoy the premise.

I think every power 5 conference should require their teams to play at least 1 power 5 conference opponent.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Not attacking, but who cares about those programs.
I don't care about those programs, but I do care about Alabama. They can use the rest, this is the second year in a row that Alabama has (by far) the toughest schedule of the contenders. There's no need for anything that automatically makes it more difficult.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
Actually, it might be an decent idea. Do it on opening day and have it be a neutral site game. It would have to be that because if you switch opponents for the next year, it wouldn't be fair to the teams that were on the road the first year. They might have to have a different opponent making a return visit to their place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.