Coach Saban Goes Off Today

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
"I don't even know what you asked me, but I just wanted to say that..."

Hahahahaha
That was the funniest part of his rant. I remember that game and Bama was gashed time after time. We won that game but it was certainly wasn't a stroll in the park! Thankfully, Charleston Southern does not use the spread option.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
"Y'all might be taking the week off but I'm not." What does that mean... if a reporter was taking the week off they wouldn't be there.

Would it be possible to make the point that the 2011 team was very good, won a national championship, and struggled with Georgia Southern without the extra layer of sarcasm? My guess is that he feels like if he says the same thing in a more civil manner, it won't fire up the team.

"Maybe you are too young to remember the (Georgia Southern) game." Good grief.

I will say after watching that most recent rant, now I feel much better about our chances to run the table. Saban is obviously in his combative zone, ready to go, taking no prisoners. :) It looks like we are in for a great finish to the season.

Actually, I've heard him go off on ESPN reporters as well, when he wants to make a bigger point. Today was a means to an end. He was really talking to the team and making a point to them. You've criticized him repeatedly about the pressers. I think it's just as it was with Coach Bryant, who could be very rough on media. You just have to take the bad with the good. It's just who he is...
That's what I've concluded...I love the way he wins, if he has an abrasive personality occasionally I'll take it along with the good.

I also appreciated the line CA quoted at the end, where he says he forgot the question, and just wanted to get some things said, delivered with a sheepish grin.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
He is a tough disciplinarian, moreso on himself than anyone, but he makes a good point.
It doesn't matter how good you are. If "Good" doesn't show up, you can get your butt kicked.
I remember the Ga. Southern game very well. We beat them, but, in all honesty, they kicked our butt all over the football field running the football.
I just know this. I would hate to have a job as a local reporter.
He's really not fair to the local media.
If you can't answer simple questions then call off the press conference.
If ESPN had asked the same question as the local guy, he would have smiled and said, "Well, I understand why you're asking me that. I do. But I think people need to understand that it doesn't matter who you're playing"....blah blah
I may be in the minority, but I don't think he's fair with the local media.
It was a simple question. Answer it.
They are NOT beneath him. They are good guys, trying to do their jobs, trying to keep fans informed., and he should respect that.
sip
At the end, CNS said he didn't even remember what the question was. That tells me he was speaking more to the team than anyone. If you don't like getting your feelings hurt, maybe you should find a different line of employment than 'reporter'.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I am not a fan of the media,and in my opinion they are a big part of what is wrong in this world today but that is another story. I just think it boils down to the fact to ask yourself do we want a coach or a media puppet. I for one will take a coach. We all have our faults and Saban has his but as long as he keeps winning games and doing it the right way,I got no problem. The media knows what buttons to push with him and constantly do it and will continue to do so.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
"I don't even know what you asked me, but I just wanted to say that..."

Hahahahaha
That quote is all we need to know. The rant had nothing to do with the media. The question was about Charleston Southern's QB being a former UAB player. Saban admits in that quote he was sending a message to the players.

Notice he specifically mentions the DL being so great. What have we heard and read the last few weeks? How great the front seven is.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I am happy the media knows that this was not personal to the media, but to the team, the fans, anyone that could hear. He would have made a heck of a professor. He is a teacher with passion!
He IS a professor. Of Life. Same as Coach Bryant was. His latest rant is just another example of him using the tools available to teach another lesson.

RTR!!!

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
I thought it was great, If you look closely, at times he was trying not to laugh. Especially when he made the Sh*t in tinfoil comment. You could tell he is relaxed and yet still trying to push his message to the team about keep rolling.

That game was one of the few that I was lucky enough to go to and I will say it was frustrating watching them run all over us. I was expecting an easy game and instead it was a battle for a while. Very frustrating to watch. RTR

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
He is a tough disciplinarian, moreso on himself than anyone, but he makes a good point.
It doesn't matter how good you are. If "Good" doesn't show up, you can get your butt kicked.
I remember the Ga. Southern game very well. We beat them, but, in all honesty, they kicked our butt all over the football field running the football.
I just know this. I would hate to have a job as a local reporter.
He's really not fair to the local media.
If you can't answer simple questions then call off the press conference.
If ESPN had asked the same question as the local guy, he would have smiled and said, "Well, I understand why you're asking me that. I do. But I think people need to understand that it doesn't matter who you're playing"....blah blah
I may be in the minority, but I don't think he's fair with the local media.
It was a simple question. Answer it.
They are NOT beneath him. They are good guys, trying to do their jobs, trying to keep fans informed., and he should respect that.
sip
Sip,

Would you rather see Mike DuBose or another Mike answering questions in a polite manner. I just think this is part of The Process. Reporters can be A H's also. Where are the Benny Marshall's when you really need them?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Actually, I've heard him go off on ESPN reporters as well, when he wants to make a bigger point. Today was a means to an end. He was really talking to the team and making a point to them. You've criticized him repeatedly about the pressers. I think it's just as it was with Coach Bryant, who could be very rough on media. You just have to take the bad with the good. It's just who he is...
Oh I'll take the bad with the good any day of the week lol. He's the best coach in America. And I understand perfectly that the media can sometimes ask some stupid things. Especially when they ask him a question right after he says, "I'm not talking about that so don't ask me aight"? But sometimes he does as you pointed out, and talks to the team through the press conference, and when he does he sometimes works those guys over way more than he has to and I kinda feel sorry for them. Most of them don't make a ton of money because newspaper doesn't pay well. They at least should be able to enjoy their job, and feeling the wrath of Saban can't be very much fun!
Coach Bryant could be a hot head occasionally but overall he tried to be as courteous as possible to the media and could actually be pretty funny.
Most memorable press conference moment for me was when we were facing Woody Hayes coached Ohio State for the first time ever. The press labeled it Bear versus Woody. So Coach Bryant got up at the press conference and says, "As far as this Bear versus Woody stuff I'll just say this.......I'm not playing.....and I hope Woody DOES".! Classic! And the place erupted in laughter. But Coach Bryant would use the same tactic. "We don't have a prayer against so and so if we don't play better"" etc.. He was also talking to the team and everybody knew it.

Last edited:

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
I've noticed that, especially in the last few years, he seems to include a wink and a nod to the reporters in the room. There seems to be a lot more dry humor in these rants than some folks seem to recognize.

When the folks in the room crack up a little when you go off like that, they probably know it's not personal.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
Being in the UK I don't get to see things like press conferences or read about the build up.

Language aside, which I know is a big deal on these boards, I have to say that was a very classy and very smart reaction to the question.

Nik Saban, coach of the biggest most successful program in college football passionately defending not 1 but 2 of the 'little guy' schools. Showing nothing but the utmost respect and demonstrating it was not merely empty words by recalling specific details.

I dare say a good few of Georgia Southern's fan base will have a softer spot in their hearts for Alabama after hearing his words.

Interesting to see, thanks for posting.

RTR

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.