Coach Saban has created a generation of young super fans.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I have noticed that the student section has much more enthusiasm than 5 years ago with the same caliber team. The reason is that these students grew up with Bama being a force of nature from 11 and 12 years old, and that is important. That same feeling I had when I was a kid watching Bama in the 70's. Theses young fans in the stands, like me, will be fanatics for life, and stick with the team through good and bad and one day give back and fill the seats of the fanatics that coach Bryant created, and Wallace Wade before him.

I was worried late Shula years that the fanatical Bama fan would become a thing of the past, but coach Saban will leave a legacy of one or two generations of super fans for life. His legacy will resonate long after he is gone.

My though of the day. Roll Tide!

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Our fans do seem a lot more vocal and animated this year. The play of our team has certainly generated much excitement. Likewise, I believe the players feed off the reaction of our fans.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Our fans do seem a lot more vocal and animated this year. The play of our team has certainly generated much excitement. Likewise, I believe the players feed off the reaction of our fans.
Yes, and even the campus during the game week. There was a big discussion a few years ago about the student section, but its getting better and will continue to for a long time.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I have a 3rd grade daughter and losing and Alabama is something she can't understand. So glad. I grew up at her age in the 70's and we all know about that. What a great time we are living in!!!!! RTR

tidegrandpa

All-American
I have noticed that the student section has much more enthusiasm than 5 years ago with the same caliber team. The reason is that these students grew up with Bama being a force of nature from 11 and 12 years old, and that is important. That same feeling I had when I was a kid watching Bama in the 70's. Theses young fans in the stands, like me, will be fanatics for life, and stick with the team through good and bad and one day give back and fill the seats of the fanatics that coach Bryant created, and Wallace Wade before him.

I was worried late Shula years that the fanatical Bama fan would become a thing of the past, but coach Saban will leave a legacy of one or two generations of super fans for life. His legacy will resonate long after he is gone.

My though of the day. Roll Tide!
This is a valid concern , our son in law graduated A&M in 1996, and could not understand my enthusiasm for football.
His father, and brother also went and are completely blase about football. Manziel helped a little but not since.

I even asked his dad about it 5-6 years ago and his response, 'I tried to be but they always seemed to lose'. Can't blame him.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
You make a great point, Sabanizer. I started as a Bama fan in the Namath era and since then Bama's had easily the best program in college football. It's been very satisfying (most of the time) to be a Bama fan. I agree having a great run makes for lifetime fans. My nephew is a Steelers fan. I know several 49er's fans who grew up watching Joe Montana and remain niners fans.

Question ... have you changed your user name since 2000, your join date, or are you clairvoyant?

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
I graduated from Bama in 99 and I'm loving this period. As a student we woke up early on Saturday mornings to travel to Legion Field. Even though those teams under DuBose were more bad than good, we still showed up and yelled our butts off.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I guess I am one of the unlucky ones. I remember Coach Bryant, watched some of his games his last few seasons. I was always an Alabama fan. But I did not start to really understand what I was watching until the Perkins era. So I endured that catastrophe, actually enjoyed Bill Curry's reign as coach (with the obvious exception of the Auburn losses), and finally got to enjoy seeing success at Alabama with Coach Stallings. Yes, I remember Bear. Yes, I have a high regard and respect for the strong tradition he helped reestablish at Alabama. But I didn't get to enjoy that the same way many of you did. So to me, Coach Saban is my football coaching icon. I do not imagine that will ever change.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I even asked his dad about it 5-6 years ago and his response, 'I tried to be but they always seemed to lose'. Can't blame him.
If Sabanizer first signed up as DuBoseizer, I imagine the mods made an accommodation for him. Or maybe he is clairvoyant. :)

Excellent thread, Sabanizer. Great handle too.

tidegrandpa

All-American
Another point about this phenom, my grand kids, (10 and 12) were born, raised and still live in Austin. Both of their parents are UT grads.

Kids became cognizant of football latter stage(post Bama asskick)of Mack Brown's tenure and Charlie Strong starting.

Some football enthusiasm, but not like any Bama fans. They think their grand dad is a fanatic. And they are right.

Just wish they had seen the same success in college football, they don't know what they are missing.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
You make a great point, Sabanizer. I started as a Bama fan in the Namath era and since then Bama's had easily the best program in college football. It's been very satisfying (most of the time) to be a Bama fan. I agree having a great run makes for lifetime fans. My nephew is a Steelers fan. I know several 49er's fans who grew up watching Joe Montana and remain niners fans.

Question ... have you changed your user name since 2000, your join date, or are you clairvoyant?
Yes I was Capstonetider for a long time.
(my temperament has changed a a lot since then!)

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
My oldest is 8 and he an Alabama Fanatic. He really got into football this year and I am such a proud momma! He went to his first game this year and he was just as enthusiastic as I was.

I can see him as one of those in the student section in 10 years. Man they will have some loud fans then.

I became a fan in the Shula era. Thank goodness I stuck it out and kept cheering for the tide. Lol

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

LOL good question.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
LOL good question.
There is no clairvoyance involved, which is to say that I have enhanced senses of the future beyond others lol. It's is pure elementary insight. I have seen with my own eyes a big difference in the students now vs the student in attendance 5 years ago. I just remember how much pride I had in the program when I was 11 years old, I was already hooked on seeing the rankings and everything Alabama football while watching the last 7 years of coach Bryant. By the time I was a student at UA? I was in awe of just being near the stadium.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Idk. Maybe I am weird but growing up I was always an Alabama fan. Both my parents went there, but there are only two people in my extended family who get really excited for Alabama football like I do, neither of which are my parents. I vaguely remember being good in 1999 and making fun of my SC fan friends for not winning a single game. Really the only good seasons Alabama had that I was old enough to remember were 99, 02, and 05. Went to the Bama-USC game in 2001 at Williams-Bryce with my dad to see us lose to USC for the first time ever by one point. If I remember correctly we went for 2 at a fairly early stage in the game and failed. That one hurt. And being on probation and stinking it up for the majority of my childhood, I almost never got to watch Alabama play on TV. It wasn't until my freshman year at Alabama that we went to the SECCG and were really, truly good.

Somehow I think that being bad made me a more intense fan lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.