The process of refugee entry into the US explained

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
and States, like Alabama, are making it extremely hard to impossible for citizens to vote so let's not act like only the left is trying to play with the numbers here. For the record the behavior on both sides is despicable

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/09/alabama_sends_message_we_are_t.html
It's not difficult at all for me, Mrs. Reb or any of my friends or neighbors to vote. All I do is show my ID, they look up my name on the voting register, and hand me a ballot. Nothing difficult about that at all. If you're opining that it's difficult for non-citizens, convicted felons, etc., to vote, well, that's the purpose behind the laws, wouldn't you agree?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
It's not difficult at all for me, Mrs. Reb or any of my friends or neighbors to vote. All I do is show my ID, they look up my name on the voting register, and hand me a ballot. Nothing difficult about that at all. If you're opining that it's difficult for non-citizens, convicted felons, etc., to vote, well, that's the purpose behind the laws, wouldn't you agree?
I would say that is one purpose, yes

but the other is keeping Democratic voters, not felons or non-citizens, just regular old poor people from being able to obtain the ID to go to the polls.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
and States, like Alabama, are making it extremely hard to impossible for citizens to vote so let's not act like only the left is trying to play with the numbers here. For the record the behavior on both sides is despicable

We all agree that Bentley is a boob. He should be removed from office for quite a number of reasons. But, I will note that the story you posted is dated. The offices have been reopened on at least a part-time basis.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

but the other is keeping Democratic voters, not felons or non-citizens, just regular old poor people from being able to obtain the ID to go to the polls.
To the extent that poor = ignorant and uninformed and net takers, then this would be a reasonable result assuming there is actually a strong correlation between ID requirements and lower turnout among the poor. Nevertheless, those who want to have voice in the governance process will find a way to do so.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005

You put it in the context of every individual having to obtain a new driver license or ID card to vote in each and every election cycle. That is certainly not the case.
Most individuals get their initial driver license when they reach the age of 16, but are not allowed to vote until they reach the age of 21. During that time span there is plenty of time to obtain a license/ID card, and when they reach 21, they can register to vote. Then when the election cycle comes around, their registration should be complete and their names should be on the voting register when they go to the polls. In short, the closing of the license offices is not keeping people from voting.
Let's not confuse the issue, shall we?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

One thing I didn't see addressed, is what is the population of the counties affected? Also, what are the daily numbers for the offices in those counties? That is, does it make economic sense to keep an office open that say, has two customers a day - which goes back to what is the population of the counties affected. Finally, a solution, in my opinion is to combine the drivers license office with another state social services office or with the county commission's office to make sure it's available. That way the closing of the office, if its truly economically feasible to do so, the service is still readily available and convenient for those affected by the closure. But hey, I'm not there or making those decisions. I hope its not racial/based on voting patterns but it certainly doesn't look good.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
One thing I didn't see addressed, is what is the population of the counties affected? Also, what are the daily numbers for the offices in those counties? That is, does it make economic sense to keep an office open that say, has two customers a day - which goes back to what is the population of the counties affected. Finally, a solution, in my opinion is to combine the drivers license office with another state social services office or with the county commission's office to make sure it's available. That way its closing the office if its truly economically feasible to do so, but at the same time, the service is still readily available and convenient for those affected by the closure. But hey, I'm not there or making those decisions. I hope its not racial/based on voting patterns but it certainly doesn't look good.
It's not racially based, and anyone saying otherwise is ignorant.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
Ok, 18 then. Still, there's no reason a person can't get their license or ID at 16, register to vote at 18 and be ready to go to the polls on election day.
Unless of course, they're just too lazy to get their license or ID, or to go to the polls, or they're just not interested in becoming educated on the candidates and their respective positions and platforms. Then, when the elections come around, and they're not yet registered to vote, they can always claim politics or racism, or both, when their local license office happens to be closed.
It's always easier to blame someone else for your own shortcomings.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.