In Defense of Larger Conferences

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I guess the problem is who to add. There are not a lot of teams that heavyweights like Oklahoma and Texas will allow to join the conference. Notre Dame would an interesting choice, if they are ever forced to give up their independence.
I would offer Houston and BYU first. If for some reason BYU doesn't want to leave independence, I would offer Memphis to bridge the gap to West Virginia or Colorado St.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Memphis and Cincinnati would be good gets as it gets them into SEC and Big Ten states. I would ask BYU before Cincy, however. But the no Sunday policy would mess up their basketball tourney and baseball schedules, don't know if that would be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The Big-12 doesn't have a championship game so Notre Dame, who doesn't even have a conference, deserves it instead. Yep that adds up!
Exactly my point. Either restrict the CFP to conference champions or invite all four teams BEFORE the conference championship games. Make the playing field fair. Clemson loses to N Carolina and they are out. ND and B12 are in. Totally unfair. But if the bids were issued before the CG then Clemson is still in -- just like ND.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
No Independents, you are either a conference member or you forfeit the right to be included in the CFP process. My 80 team conference membership was meant for the P5 plus 3 additional conferences. The remaining 48 teams would form a new division and play for their separate NC.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Exactly my point. Either restrict the CFP to conference champions or invite all four teams BEFORE the conference championship games. Make the playing field fair. Clemson loses to N Carolina and they are out. ND and B12 are in. Totally unfair. But if the bids were issued before the CG then Clemson is still in -- just like ND.
And, in your scenario (which is more unfair), you're not getting conference champions in the playoff, simply the highest ranked team prior to the conference championship game. If Clemson (or any other team) loses their conference championship game, then they don't deserve to be in.

Last edited:

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I am taking the other view. This year the CG hurts more than it helps. If Alabama or Clemson lose, then Oklahoma and Notre Dame are in. So, we need to invite the teams BEFORE the champion ships games to be certain the CG does on penalize.
In the words of Al Daivs, "Just win, baby." that will take care of it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.