Opinions Please : Rx Sunglasses

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I'm looking for opinions and recommendations on prescription polarized shades. I have worked on the water for most of my adult life, and finally needed Rx glasses about 3 yrs ago. Typically I only were them at night, but have recently began to wear the "Transitions" type during the day more often. Generally over the years I have gone with Costas for polarized shades.

I plan to treat myself this Christmas to Rx shades, as I now find myself needing something better than what I have now.

Thanks for any input!
RTR!!

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Been a while since I've dealt with this, but Maui Jim had a good polarized lens with anti-reflective coating on the back. They also had a hydrophobic coating so water spots wouldn't form.
Just be sure that wherever you buy them from sends them to a Maui Jim lab, and doesn't just put their own brand of polarized Rx lens in there. Same goes for Oakley - it's possible to get Rx lenses in milder prescriptions in many of them, but it takes a lab that really knows what they're doing.

If you want to go the more generic route, any ophthalmic frame that isn't rimless or semi-rimless will do.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
i'm super super frugal/cheap whatever you want to call it

I bought mine on 39dollarglasses.com and they are fine for my needs (reading on the beach)

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
Been a while since I've dealt with this, but Maui Jim had a good polarized lens with anti-reflective coating on the back. They also had a hydrophobic coating so water spots wouldn't form.
Just be sure that wherever you buy them from sends them to a Maui Jim lab, and doesn't just put their own brand of polarized Rx lens in there. Same goes for Oakley - it's possible to get Rx lenses in milder prescriptions in many of them, but it takes a lab that really knows what they're doing.

If you want to go the more generic route, any ophthalmic frame that isn't rimless or semi-rimless will do.
My dr does offer the MJ, I'm certain they are the real lens. How did they hold up for you?

i'm super super frugal/cheap whatever you want to call it

I bought mine on 39dollarglasses.com and they are fine for my needs (reading on the beach)
I'll have to check that out for my backups. Do you get your Rx printed and send that to the site?
Are basically guessing what would be a good fit?

Thanks for the replies

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
This is what I did for my last pair of glasses (not sure if these places offer sunglasses). I went to Warby Parker and Classic Specs. You pick out 5 or 6 different frames then they send them to you for free for a few days for you to try. You can then order online, send in your prescription info (they may even call your doctor if you don't have a prescription handy). Then they send you new glasses in about a week or two. I decided to go with Classic Specs, and they are the best glasses I've ever had all for around $100. That is really good with as bad of vision as I have.

I hate buying glasses and paying those ungodly amounts so I'm glad I went this route. I would highly recommend both of these companies.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
My dr does offer the MJ, I'm certain they are the real lens. How did they hold up for you?

I'll have to check that out for my backups. Do you get your Rx printed and send that to the site?
Are basically guessing what would be a good fit?

Thanks for the replies
Yes, you would be guessing if they would be a good fit. I know Zenni Optical offers returns or exchanges, but I've been leary of using them because I can be hard to fit. Those two companies I mentioned earlier offer a free home try on program.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Yes, you would be guessing if they would be a good fit. I know Zenni Optical offers returns or exchanges, but I've been leary of using them because I can be hard to fit. Those two companies I mentioned earlier offer a free home try on program.
same for 39 dollar glasses, you can print out your style on paper cut em and try them on for looks too

I ordered 2 different pairs, there are coupons for buy one get one @ 50% and whatnot all the time, just google to find them and then when I tried and liked them ordered more. I bought the exact pair I wear for regular reading with RX Sun glass lenses

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.