Another snub on the way for Big 12

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I would love for Alabama to play Oklahoma State in the CFP because they are easily the worse team being considered:

OK ST beat Central Michigan by 11, beat Texas by 3, beat Kansas State by 2, beat West Virginia by 7, gave up 53 points to Texas Tech, beat Iowa State by 4 and beat a banged up TCU team. Like I said, I would love for them to make it and Bama to play them in the first round but I don't see OK ST beating Baylor and Oklahoma. Of course it looks like Baylor may be down to their 3rd string QB..

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
That's incorrect. Notre Dame isn't getting jumped by Oklahoma State if they both win out..
Well lets hope we get to see. For now agree to disagree.

I think this will mostly depend - assuming they both win out - upon the final strength of Notre Dame's schedule. Right now, their schedule rates out as much better than anyone's in the Big XII. However, several of Notre Dame's best opponents have some tough games coming up. Just a small handful of losses could easily drop Notre Dame's strength of schedule by a significant amount.

Navy, USC, and Temple all have a regular season game left where they will either be underdogs or a single-digit favorite, plus a potential Conference Championship game, which could easily give each of them a loss. Add in the assumption of Stanford losing to ND to close out the season to give them another loss, as well. If all four of those teams lose a game before the end of the season while failing to win their Conference - either by failing to make or else losing in their Conference Championship game - then Notre Dame's best wins become their win over a 10-2 Group of Five team in Navy and a 9-3 Power Five team in Stanford, without the "We beat a Power Five Conference Champion!" claim on which to hang their hat. And that doesn't even count the possibility of Clemson losing to North Carolina in the ACC Conference Championship Game, which could pretty much wreck Notre Dame's playoff plans all by itself.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
That's incorrect. Notre Dame isn't getting jumped by Oklahoma State if they both win out..
I would think an undefeated Big 12 champion with wins over OU, Baylor, and TCU would jump a one loss Notre Dame team. Of course, this committee can pretty much do whatever they like, but they have stressed conference champions since their inception, so an undefeated conference champion should trump a one loss independent that keeps tooting its horn about losing a close game.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Too many variables at this point. The committee said injuries count, so you could look pretty decent down the stretch, lose your starting QB in your last game, and be counted out. I expect they also give some weight to a team that seems to be peaking at the right time, which helped the Buckeyes last year.

If it's close between ND and any team, I expect ND to get the nod from the committee. If it's down to them and Oklahoma, I think it's easy for the committee. Texas, you lost to a very mediocre team that ND beat like a drum and didn't even allow in the end zone....

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If ND wins out, I think the only hope for the Big 12-2 is an undefeated Oklahoma State.

Even then, I'm not sure they'd jump the Domers.

This committee has spoken loud and clear on two things. First, strength of schedule matters...a lot. Second, they don't respect the X-Box offense / defense optional style of play that's prevalent in the Big 12-2.

I'm not at all convinced that an undefeated OSUw, playing basketball on grass, against a bunch of others just like it, trumps a one-loss ND team. That loss would be by 2 points on the road at the #1 team's house. They'd have wins over a Temple team that spent a little time in the rankings, a lranked Navy team, USCw, and Stanford on the road.

They might, but it would be a real close call. Personally, my money would be on the Irish, again assuming they take care of business.

Last edited:

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I know the entire big 12 will erupt and spontaneously combust if a Big 12 team goes undefeated and is aced out by 2 teams with 1 loss. I think they jump the domers.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I'm actually shocked that people think a 12-0 Oklahoma State (after beating 8-1 Baylor and possibly 10-1 OU) wouldn't be ahead of Notre Dame (playing BC and Stanford) in the end.

Arguing Oklahoma over Notre Dame is one thing, but there is no way an undefeated P5 school is being left out unless there is a crazy year where there are 4 or 5 of them.

TNBama

1st Team
Apr 19, 2000
Knoxville, TN. USA
Aside from what everyone THINKS will happen, and not taking into consideration schedules and wins/losses etc, Im curious which everyone would prefer:
1) The Big 12-2 to be left out because they dont play a conference championship game
or
2) Notre Dame being left out because they refuse to join a conference.

I'm split on this one, but think I'd prefer Notre Dame being left out since they are bucking the system more than the Big 12-2.

Thoughts??

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm actually shocked that people think a 12-0 Oklahoma State (after beating 8-1 Baylor and possibly 10-1 OU) wouldn't be ahead of Notre Dame (playing BC and Stanford) in the end.

Arguing Oklahoma over Notre Dame is one thing, but there is no way an undefeated P5 school is being left out unless there is a crazy year where there are 4 or 5 of them.
OK ST's OOC schedule is garbage. Yes they are undefeated but they have a lot of narrow victories vs bad teams. Their 2 best wins vs TCU and (presumably) Baylor would be somewhat tainted because TCU is without Boykin and Doctson and Baylor is without their starting QB. I don't feel it's fair to penalize OK ST for playing TCU and Baylor when they are not at full strength but the committee will take that into consideration. I think this discussion will take care of itself when OK ST loses to Baylor or Oklahoma. With all that being said I really hope OK ST does make the CFP because I think it would be an easy victory..

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
Aside from what everyone THINKS will happen, and not taking into consideration schedules and wins/losses etc, Im curious which everyone would prefer:
1) The Big 12-2 to be left out because they dont play a conference championship game
or

I'm split on this one, but think I'd prefer Notre Dame being left out since they are bucking the system more than the Big 12-2.

Thoughts??
I would prefer Notre Dame to be left out because in the Big 12-2 does schedule 9 conference games and a conference champion is crowned on the results of the games during the season.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
or

Thoughts??
I would rather Notre Dame be left out because I think they are a better team than Oklahoma and much better than Oklahoma State. I just want what's best for Bama which is a win..

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
or

Thoughts??
Leave out OSUw. But not because they don't have a CCG.

Because their OOC schedule is an embarrassment, most of their conference schedule is as well, and they play a style of football that is predicated on several recently-enacted rules designed explicitly to give outmanned teams a chance at the upset.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
or

Thoughts??
It would be more fun for me to see our team embarrass Notre Dame again, but I admit that is mostly due to my childhood. It really doesn't matter that much to me. I just enjoy digging through what they are looking at.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
or

Thoughts??
I would prefer Houston getting in and both ND and Okie Light play each other on Christmas Eve or something nice like that.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
or

Thoughts??
After thinking about this ALL day, I've decided that a PAC-12 (2 loss) Championship team or an Undefeated Oklahoma State or one loss Oklahoma team from the Big 12-2 deserves to be in the National Championship Playoffs over Notre Dame. Notre Dame should NOT be considered unless they are a Conference Champion. Now, I've already said Oklahoma had a VERY Bad loss to UTw, but a champion is a champion. What would Notre Dame be a CHAMPION of? Their dreams?

Their arrogance needs to be brought down a notch. Maybe they will join a conference if they are not included in the Playoffs. Conference Champions should be considered before looking at independents. One conference champion is already going to be left OUT in the cold. The Big 12-2 was left out last year. The PAC-12 will more than likely be left out this year. So, Notre Dame, join a conference or just sit at home and watch on TV.

Now if we expand to 6 or 8 teams, they could be considered, if they are undefeated. If they are left out, you would see even more pressure to expand the number of Playoff participants.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.