Another snub on the way for Big 12

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Even if the Big12 has an outright "champion", they should still be penalized for not playing 13 games. Same as ND.

The SEC, ACC, B10, PAC12 play a 13th game against ranked opponents.
I agree to a very limited extent that not playing a conference championship game should matter some. If you don't have that extra test, it should matter.

But, just the number of games by itself should mean very little. For instance, if Alabama didn't play in the SECCG, they still would have the toughest schedule of a contender. The idea of saying: "oh they didn't play an extra game", even if the games you did play were tougher by comparison, is a bit pointless. I don't care if Boise State plays 15 games, if they play them against crap competition they mean nothing to me.

To give an example, in 1996 BYU played 15 games. They actually won 14. They even played a few decent teams, but the bulk of their schedule consisted of WAC teams, so what did those wins really count for? In the same way I don't like people just automatically saying that the number of conference games matters, I don't want people saying conference championship games in and of themselves should be a huge factor. A factor, yes... but look at who a team actually plays before making a judgement.

Sagamore Bill

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma
I think it highly likely that the big 12(-2) took themselves out of it. Oklahoma won by one point, at home, to a TCU team without the starting QB, running back and one receiver. IMPRESSIVE OK State beaten by 10 by a Baylor team without the starting QB. The frosting on the cake is if OK State beats OU.

champions77

Scout Team
Sep 6, 2006
Norman, Ok
I think it highly likely that the big 12(-2) took themselves out of it. Oklahoma won by one point, at home, to a TCU team without the starting QB, running back and one receiver. IMPRESSIVE OK State beaten by 10 by a Baylor team without the starting QB. The frosting on the cake is if OK State beats OU.
If you are going to mention that TCU had players out then it is only fair that you mention that OU was without Baker Mayfield for the whole second half. OU comfortably ahead 23-7 at halftime.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you are going to mention that TCU had players out then it is only fair that you mention that OU was without Baker Mayfield for the whole second half. OU comfortably ahead 23-7 at halftime.
That is fair, but coaching mistakes cost TCU that game. They chased with a failed 2 point conversion attempt in the 2nd quarter or the extra point would have won the game for them at the end of regulation. Coaching 101 failure. Then, at the end of the game, they went for 2 with all of the momentum on their side and Mayfield out. Idiocy.

Somehow Stoops ended up looking like the better coach in this one.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.