News Article: Jameis Winston threatens to sue CNN over documentary

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't know if anything will change, but I would like to see the TRUTH come out and someone held accountable for their actions. If not legally, then financially.
Maybe we have heard the truth maybe we havent, but I doubt anyone that feels like we havent will get any closure. Im not going to take sides because everyone has their own opinion and it is strong as it was to begin with. It would take video or picture evidence to totally change people's view on it. Look at how long it actually took people to turn on Cody. There was people on this board about ready to fight people because someone said there was strong evidence against him. My point is, unless something else comes up that drastically changes the viewpoint one way or another, I doubt anything comes of it that hasnt already.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Well I did not know a thing about the CNN documentary . I hate it for Hueytown who gave us the Allisons and Neil Bonnett now they get to endure the enigma of Winston . Thank you little Jamie for becoming a Nole . He just gave them a huge ratings boost. And big payday for the lawyers.

"The Hunting Ground" debuted at the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year. The documentary, in part, highlights the rape investigation against Winston while he was at Florida State and features the first public interview from Winston's accuser, Erica Kinsman.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-jameis-winston-threatens-sue-cnn-documentary
"The Hunting Ground" is a bad title. I already know that angle right there.

Goldrush

Sep 22, 2015
Are you sure? Do you have first hand knowledge that there are lies and misrepresentations? I'm NOT being critical of you, I just want the TRUTH brought to the light. I too would not want to be accused of something that I did NOT do, but I really would like to know the TRUTH. I do believe that people are in prison for being falsely accused and convicted of something that did NOT do, even rape.

Since I'm going to DVR it and watch it in my free time, please let us know what areas are flat out dishonest. I always CRITIQUE EVERYTHING that I watch, because I just don't want to be naive.
I'm no fan of Winston, but this film is a steaming pile.

Here are the people that made it.

'The Hunting Ground' crew caught editing Wikipedia to make facts conform to film

Edward Patrick Alva, who is listed on the film's IMDB page as part of the camera and electrical department, has been altering Wikipedia entries for months, in violation of the website's conflict-of-interest guidelines. Alva is the assistant editor and technical supervisor for Chain Camera Pictures, the production company associated with "The Hunting Ground" director Kirby Dick.

Alva's Wikipedia username is Edwardpatrickalva, and he acknowledges in his user bio that he has "a conflict of interest when I edit articles on Wikipedia that are related to Chain Camera Pictures." Yet Alva continues to do just that.

Alva created his Wikipedia account just two weeks after Florida State University President John Thrasher first called out the filmmakers for their inaccurate and unfair portrayal of the school and its handling of the rape accusation against former star quarterback Jameis Winston. It wasn't until September 18, six months after creating his user profile, that Alva acknowledged he had been editing Wikipedia pages related to "The Hunting Ground."
Harvard law profs point out the evidence doesn't support accusations in "The Hunting Ground," the filmmakers accuse them of hating women

Last week, nineteen predominantly (if not entirely) liberal law professors from Harvard, with no ax to grind aside from promoting justice, wrote a stinging letter denouncing the film. The professors pointed out: "This purported documentary provides a seriously false picture both of the general sexual assault phenomenon at universities and of our student Brandon Winston." Among other things, the Harvard law professors explained that the film creates the false impression that Mr. Winston used drugs to sexually assault purported victims--the only problem, the law professors point out: there is no evidence whatsoever that Mr. Winston was responsible for the women's inebriated state.

How did the "documentary" filmmakers respond? "In statements sent to [The Hollywood Reporter], filmmakers Dick and Ziering said the professors’ reference to 'the "inebriated" state of the women who are portrayed in the film is classic victim blaming and is exactly the kind of misogynistic, punitive and shaming attitude that helps perpetuate sexual assault on college campuses.'"

Read it again. It was the film that opened the door to the issue of the women's inebriation by creating the impression that Mr. Winston drugged the women. The Harvard law professors merely pointed out that the actual evidence did not support this impression, but the filmmakers responded as if the professors invented the inebriation issue to make the accusers look like stereotypical "sluts." This takes "spin" to a new, diabolical low. Instead of dealing with silly things like facts, instead of refuting the professors' claims, the filmmakers were content to demonize the professors and resort to the worst kind of name-calling.
Emails reveal 'The Hunting Ground's lack of journalistic integrity

"We do not operate the same way as journalists — this is a film project that is very much in the corner of advocacy for victims, so there would be no insensitive questions or the need to get the perpetrator's side," Herdy wrote.

Months later, in a follow-up email sent on Feb. 12, 2014, Herdy informed Carroll that the filmmakers planned to reach out to Winston but were sure he wouldn't respond. She wrote that she wanted him "to have a gap of a couple of weeks to get complacent because then we will ambush him." She also asked if Carroll and Kinsman were "okay with us sending [Winston] the official request this week."

For as long as this film has been promoted, advocates of due process and journalistic integrity have called it out for its indifference to the truth. The film didn't even attempt to corroborate the accuser's stories featured in the film and tried to contact those maligned in the film only after it had been completed and submitted to the Sundance Film Festival.
From the Duke lacrosse rape hoax to the Hofstra rape hoax. From the UVA rape hoax to mattress girl. There is a constant need to enforce the narrative of "rape culture" even if it does not exist.

I encourage everyone to investigate, dig deep, and draw your own conclusions.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
I'm no fan of Winston, but this film is a steaming pile.

Here are the people that made it.

'The Hunting Ground' crew caught editing Wikipedia to make facts conform to film

Harvard law profs point out the evidence doesn't support accusations in "The Hunting Ground," the filmmakers accuse them of hating women

Emails reveal 'The Hunting Ground's lack of journalistic integrity

From the Duke lacrosse rape hoax to the Hofstra rape hoax. From the UVA rape hoax to mattress girl. There is a constant need to enforce the narrative of "rape culture" even if it does not exist.

I encourage everyone to investigate, dig deep, and draw your own conclusions.
Interesting first post I must say.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Not at all. I doubt his ability to keep his story straight and consistent, if he's crossed competently...
Idk Robert durst and oj kept their poker faces on and let their larger than life lawyers fight their battles. I would expect Winston to do the same

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Poker faces and Criminole disgraces aside, was Mac's fish market parable after UF's escape yesterday a subliminal message sent to FSU for a "takeout order?" He did say the Gators "are taking a field trip this week - to the fish market"...

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
I haven't seen the documentary in question, but I'm curious if it covered the story of Brian Banks. Can anyone who watched it confirm?

For reference, he was a highly tauted HS football recruit from California (committed to USC at the time) who was falsely accused of rape. He spent five years in prison, until the accuser was caught on tape admitting she made the whole thing up.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I haven't seen the documentary in question, but I'm curious if it covered the story of Brian Banks. Can anyone who watched it confirm?

For reference, he was a highly tauted HS football recruit from California (committed to USC at the time) who was falsely accused of rape. He spent five years in prison, until the accuser was caught on tape admitting she made the whole thing up.
Wow never heard this story. 5 years is a long time to go to jail because someone was mad at you.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You can't do that in a civil trial. His deposition would be taken - under oath...
Still, I think if that happens there is more to suggest Winston winning. While I think Winston is childish and boneheaded I still have to think he wouldn't go forward in court without thinking he could win. Everyone thought the NFL was going to bury Brady with overwhelming evidence and Brady having to take a stand. I just don't think those who want to see Winston burn for his alleged crime are going to ever see it. Just imo

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Wow never heard this story. 5 years is a long time to go to jail because someone was mad at you.
You need to look up the story the girls mother put her up to it and dyed the school for millions knowing the story wasn't true. He had committed to USC but ended up spending five years in jail. The truth came out when she contacted him in fb she told him that she was sorry but she was afraid to tell the truth because she thought that her mother would have to give the money back.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.