Virginia Tech Player Slaps Official

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
jamais winston repeatedly trying to push the ref off the ball so he can run a hurry up play.
I remember that, but I don't think it was in an assault like fashion, I believe that is what Crimsonaudio is referring to. Someone mentioned in this thread that he may not have meant to hit the ref? I have only seen this one angle, is that a possibility? From this angle it looks like an aimed karate chop!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I hope so, I like Beamer. It's against everything a good coach is supposed to teach. It would concern me if this is overlooked.
I would hope so, but Beamer is out the door and may not want to make any waves as he sails towards retirement.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I hate to bring this up but do you remember what Orlando McCain did? Glass houses folks?

CrmznApklps

All-SEC
Nov 22, 2004
The GUMP
Agreed that he should have been ejected, but the title is a tad misleading. I was expecting to see this kid SLAP the referee. I suppose our definition of "slap" is different. Was expecting hand-to-face. That aside. He should have been ejected for loss of his faculties. Calling him a "thug" though? Makes me wonder if what people say about the "thug" code word is true. ijs.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Agreed that he should have been ejected, but the title is a tad misleading. I was expecting to see this kid SLAP the referee. I suppose our definition of "slap" is different. Was expecting hand-to-face. That aside. He should have been ejected for loss of his faculties. Calling him a "thug" though? Makes me wonder if what people say about the "thug" code word is true. ijs.
I look at it as a guy having a temper tantrum about an earlier missed call and in the process of swinging his arms around, hits a ref.
Whether that constitutes being a thug or not, I will leave to others. I do believe he should have been ejected.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I look at it as a guy having a temper tantrum about an earlier missed call and in the process of swinging his arms around, hits a ref.
Whether that constitutes being a thug or not, I will leave to others. I do believe he should have been ejected.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I believe the contact was intentional. It appears to me he was knocking down the point to the defense side. IMO this should get a suspension. Whether this rises to the thug moniker is in doubt for me. I don't know enough about the individual. He defiantly lost his temper and let it get the best of him.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Thug? No. That looked like a spoiled child that didn't get his way. He crossed a line, and should have been ejected and needs to be suspended. But that's up to the adults in this situation, whether or not they want to help the young man become a better, more mature person.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
If Beamer doesn't bench this guy, any respect I have for him is gone - that action is unconscionable.
Really? It took him 43 years of total coaching experience with 34 years as a head coach and 351 games played to gain the respect he has now and I see posted multiple times on here that despite an exhaustive body of work that extends more life than some of us have even lived that a single act by 1 player on 1 down is enough to erase any and all respect you for this man?

Pardon me for jumping on this in such a firm manner (because I know you're a mod : ) ) but that, to me, is absolutely ludicrous. Dadi Nicholas didn't pull out a nighstick from within his pads and bludgeon the ref into a coma. Yah, the ACC should suspend him, and maybe Beamer shouldn't even wait for that to happen to do it himself, BUT in no way should this moment obliterate a generation of consistent, fastidious and diligent work by an upstanding man.

I give the benefit of the doubt. Beamer knows his players personally and Dadi Nicholas has been in the program for a while and I'm confident Beamer's relationship with him has a deep foundation.

I only take exception to nullifying the Herculean efforts of this coaches career over an admittedly disappointing occurrence and behavior from one of his players.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Yes, if you look at this video snippet, it looks intentional.
Nicholas had just made the same arm motion in exactly the same way a couple of yards behind the ref before he did this arm motion and hit the ref.
I think he should be suspended, but I am not sure he was trying to hit Ref. He was just really certain that the UNC o-line had moved before the snap, and Nicholas was ticked off that the refs missed that call.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Yes, if you look at this video snippet, it looks intentional.
Nicholas had just made the same arm motion in exactly the same way a couple of yards behind the ref before he did this arm motion and hit the ref.
I think he should be suspended, but I am not sure he was trying to hit Ref. He was just really certain that the UNC o-line had moved before the snap, and Nicholas was ticked off that the refs missed that call.
I think "thuggish" behavior as an adjective would have fit, but the word has become taboo so it's best not to use. The closest I can think of with Bama is the McClain incident, as far as losing it.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.