Did CSU play to win the game?

Wayne4Bama2

Scout Team
Feb 10, 2001
Dothan,Al,Houston
Even with that said, a lot of coaches still played to win. But I totally understand their predicament. And maybe they played harder than I thought, or we are better than I thought.

I was hoping to work on the intermediate passing a little more, but the score got out of hand. Those were the cleanest paths to punt TD's that I have seen in a long time.
REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not going to take anything away from the ability of Cyrus. He played a heck of a game. It was a good decision to move him over to defense, and he displayed that today and some. 3 punt returns for TD's in 2 games and one of the best plays of the season today.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Did CSU play to win the game? If if not, why play the game? Curious to opinions, I have never seen a Bama game where the opposing team came out the gate with the motives other than winning the game. Remember they sat their starting QB, it may have been their 3rd string QB that played. And they have championship aspirations in mind in their upcoming playoffs. Kind of like us playing an NFL team.

I do not blame them. Just cannot remember another game that created this situation.
It looked like their QB was milking the clock on every snap. Usually inside 5 seconds before the snap.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't fault them. This game was for a payday and letting their players see a big-time stadium. They saved their QBs the blows and got their backup reps against a defense 1000x better than he'll see in the FCS.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I don't fault them. This game was for a payday and letting their players see a big-time stadium. They saved their QBs the blows and got their backup reps against a defense 1000x better than he'll see in the FCS.
And we faced that same situation, for instance that targeting scare was the last thing we needed in this game. I was thinking for us, coaching wise, that Coach Saban would be leaning towards sound execution and not needless monster hits. I got the impression that Bama could have brutalized this team if they wanted to, they opted not, which I admire.

This Bama team is looking better than what I saw last year.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
You can ponder the other team's motives, but I do not care.

What did Alabama need? They needed to get healthy and be rest up. They also needed to get the backups some work. Alabama has played a murderous schedule the past two years, and on top of that they often get opponents best shots. Even the FCS teams, it's a make their career type thing, if they can just somehow upend Alabama then they'll really have something. So, we usually expect a team to wait until at least the end of the first quarter to quit. Have you really scanned over the scores of some of these types of games for other teams? There are plenty that just never show up. We're just not accustomed to that.

Anyway, Bo got 10 carries, that's more than he had on the season. Harris got 10 carries, that's the most he's had in a game. Cam Sims ties his top game with 3 receptions. Just those three guys, are players who potentially could play a significant role going forward, and even if you discount the importance of resting up starters, it really, really helps to get guys like that a chance to take the field. The game did what it was supposed to, Alabama will still have a top ten SoS after this, but they hopefully will be rested and able to play a great game against Auburn and Florida.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
You can ponder the other team's motives, but I do not care.

Have you really scanned over the scores of some of these types of games for other teams? There are plenty that just never show up. We're just not accustomed to that.

I will let you ponder the scores and motives of these types of games from other teams.

so, we usually expect a team to wait until at least the end of the first quarter to quit.
Wow, you taught me something. I did not realize that teams regularly quit, and we expect them to at the end of the 1st quarter, but Bama is special, and we are not accustomed to that. Since we are the gold standard, that seems backwards, but ok. Thank you.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Making a comment on the play of your opposition has zero connection to commenting on the play of your team. It seems that people sometimes make that connection. You know, "wow auburn played a poor game against us". Reply, no no, let me tell you everything good Alabama did, in case you forgot. There is no connection, and Coach Saban would have chewed anyone's butt that downplayed this game as a "rest" and time for "subs". As a matter of fact, he went off on it lol. Look no further than The Citadel vs SC and Arkansas, Georgia Southern vs Florida and Appalachian State vs Michigan. None of those teams quit in the 1st quarter.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Wow, you taught me something. I did not realize that teams regularly quit, and we expect them to at the end of the 1st quarter, but Bama is special, and we are not accustomed to that. Since we are the gold standard, that seems backwards, but ok. Thank you.
What's your problem?

Yes, Alabama has made plenty of teams quit and there have been times that come to mind in which Alabama has put the game away in the first quarter. Heck, Alabama sometimes just completely breaks a team, like they did to LSU. The question is usually just how long you can hold up against Alabama. My point was, and is, that plenty of over-matched teams never show up, we just are not used to it. Teams take their bye before Alabama, they they make a big deal of the game like Arkansas did. Ole Miss won their first two games 149-24! Did you write some complaint about those teams not showing up? Who cares?

Reply, no no, let me tell you everything good Alabama did, in case you forgot.
In case you forgot Alabama isn't going to parade a bunch of backups in against a team that hasn't already been thoroughly beaten, or given up. Yes, that's a good thing, and it's an odd thing for you to be getting all worked up about.

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
What's your problem?

Yes, Alabama has made plenty of teams quit and there have been times that come to mind in which Alabama has put the game away in the first quarter. Heck, Alabama sometimes just completely breaks a team, like they did to LSU. The question is usually just how long you can hold up against Alabama. My point was, and is, that plenty of over-matched teams never show up, we just are not used to it. Teams take their bye before Alabama, they they make a big deal of the game like Arkansas did. Ole Miss won their first two games 149-24! Did you write some complaint about those teams not showing up? Who cares?

In case you forgot Alabamaisn't going to parade a bunch of backups in against a team that hasn't already been thoroughly beaten, or given up. Yes, that's a good thing, and it's an odd thing for you to be here whining about.
Of course you break down teams during games, and fatigue plays a big part. I made a simple comment that I felt, due to their interests in another league, getting ready for the playoffs, circumstances, that maybe CSU came out the gate that way. I believe it. And I 100% agree with the benefits of an easy game, and the positives that came from this game. But that was not my question. Anyway, it was something that I had not noticed before, and others on this thread agree. But its not a big deal, just an observation.

You said that you had no comment on my thread title, you would let me ponder that, so there is really nothing to discuss. I agree with your positives of from the game. So we are in agreement.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well, in either case I wasn't trying to argue with you or what not. Just saying that I'm not too worried about any other team and I'm glad they didn't do like last year where the team played dirty to try and stay in it. I think other weak teams throw in the towel beforehand more often than we realize though, against other teams. I often scan scores kind of thinking, how did that happen exactly? I think we saw today how that happens.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Lets not act like this wasn't going to be a drumming either way but I think it was an ideal circumstance where the game was pretty much just being played out after the first two Henry touchdowns. Alabama had no interest in long-term sharpening of the starters because this is game #11. Charleston Southern had no interest in risking their chances at their national title hunt by showing their gadget plays or exposing their normal starting QB to a ton of hits. Maybe if we played Southern earlier in the year we would have seen more variety from them in an attempt to keep the game close but at this stage it made no sense for them to show their opponents any good stuff on tape when the odds were squarely not in their favor.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Well, in either case I wasn't trying to argue with you or what not. Just saying that I'm not too worried about any other team and I'm glad they didn't do like last year where the team played dirty to try and stay in it. I think other weak teams throw in the towel beforehand more often than we realize though, against other teams. I often scan scores kind of thinking, how did that happen exactly? I think we saw today how that happens.
It was a first for me to that degree. I know that we were so much bigger than they were. What makes our team special is that we can equal the speed of those smaller players now!
I do not want to jinx us, but I just do not see anyone beating us, unless it is ourselves. Watching the level of the first team vs the 2nd string unit really shows what chemistry and coaching develops in practice. The 2nd string unit as a whole does not work like the machine of our first unit, with similar players. Shows how good our coaching is with our starting "units".

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
This game is a good reason to play our FCS game as the penultimate game of the regular season and also to play a good FCS team rather than a bottom feeder. If the FCS team is getting ready for the playoffs, they will be less likely to go all out and try to avoid anyone getting hurt.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
No, I think this was an unusual game for this late in the season, and I said so before the game, earlier in the week, that if I was the coach I would just go through the motions and get the heck out of town. I just cannot remember a game that created this with another team in the past. I am not angry at the team at all, just a strange situation.
indeed it was - picture like this, your high school team plays for the state championship in two weeks, but next week you have to play the Pittsburgh Steelers; wathca gonna do? It's really a no brainer, and I do not recall seeing a situation like this before either. Then again, not many years can I remember Bama have a defense like this, so......

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007
My impression is that this ceased being a competitive game in the first quarter but...that is not a bad thing for Alabama. Reps then rest for the starters, experience for the back ups. And CSU got a a fat juicy check and is healthy headed to their playoffs...and probably got a little better for playing the Tide too.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.