Did CSU play to win the game?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I have a question about the game. I was unable to see or listen to any of it due to family commitments.

We did not punt. We did not have any turnovers and went 2/3 on fourth down. We missed one field goal. Yet we only scored seven points in the second half.

So did we just slow it way down in the second half and run a "four corners" offense?

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007
I have a question about the game. I was unable to see or listen to any of it due to family commitments.

We did not punt. We did not have any turnovers and went 2/3 on fourth down. We missed one field goal. Yet we only scored seven points in the second half.

So did we just slow it way down in the second half and run a "four corners" offense?
Our starters on offense and special teams scored early and often....our starters on defense stuffed them. Starters pulled early. Their offense against our back ups kept the ball most of the game. Our backups on offense consistently got and moved the ball deep into their territory and completed only one drive with a td. Picture a big cat playing with a mouse.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I see the posters point. I don't think I have ever watched a game we played in where the opponent admitted defeat before the game started. I was glad to see the reserves get so much playing time although. I just started thinking if Cyrus played that aggressively on D all year they would have been talking about him like they did the Honey Badger. Cyrus is immensely talented. Glad the nation got a chance to see how athletic he is on defense also. Cupcakes are delicious after dinner.

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
Did CSU play to win the game? If if not, why play the game? Curious to opinions, I have never seen a Bama game where the opposing team came out the gate with the motives other than winning the game. Remember they sat their starting QB, it may have been their 3rd string QB that played. And they have championship aspirations in mind in their upcoming playoffs. Kind of like us playing an NFL team.

I do not blame them. Just cannot remember another game that created this situation.
I think the CSU coach has his priorities way out of whack. Even if you don't have a snowball's chance of winning the game, out of respect to the games and it's fans, you must play to win. Otherwise just don't show up at all.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think the CSU coach has his priorities way out of whack. Even if you don't have a snowball's chance of winning the game, out of respect to the games and it's fans, you must play to win. Otherwise just don't show up at all.
I don't. The team last year had their priorities out of whack. They played dirty to try and stay in the game. Did they win? No, did they have a chance? No, did they hurt Alabama? Yeah... if that's the idea of having the priorities then I disagree with it. If you can't win, what says you have to go out there and do anything that can cause you or the other team harm? And that's what you are doing if you put your starting QB out there against Alabama, you are putting him in harms way.

Lest anyone forget though, after this game Alabama has an SoS of 8.

Notre Dame is 29
Oklahoma is 32
Clemson is 47
Ohio State is 61
Florida is 52

Etc... great game, came at a perfect time.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I understand your question, Sabanizer, or at least I think I do. This might be the most blatant cry of uncle I've seen coming out of the starting gate (not that I'm upset or anything). It's certainly the quickest I remember a team taking a knee in defeat in quite a while, or perhaps ever.
There was no way they were winning. They took the same path we did: Play hard early, sit the guys that give us the best chance to win as quick as possible. We sat Fitzpatrick, he might could've played. They got to practice their offense and make adjustments top a vastly superior defensive front, while we had the opportunity to focus and dominate an opponent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
I don't. The team last year had their priorities out of whack. They played dirty to try and stay in the game. Did they win? No, did they have a chance? No, did they hurt Alabama? Yeah... if that's the idea of having the priorities then I disagree with it. If you can't win, what says you have to go out there and do anything that can cause you or the other team harm? And that's what you are doing if you put your starting QB out there against Alabama, you are putting him in harms way.

Lest anyone forget though, after this game Alabama has an SoS of 8.

Notre Dame is 29
Oklahoma is 32
Clemson is 47
Ohio State is 61
Florida is 52

Etc... great game, came at a perfect time.
Knowing you cannot win the game and accepting that reality is one thing. But, scheduling the game and then not even trying to win (if that is indeed what CSU did) shows no respect for the game. Most players enjoy testing themselves against the best, win or lose. In fifty years, the Grandkids will enjoy hearing about the time Granddad and his team got skunked by the National Champs.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
There was no way they were winning. They took the same path we did: Play hard early, sit the guys that give us the best chance to win as quick as possible. We sat Fitzpatrick, he might could've played. They got to practice their offense and make adjustments top a vastly superior defensive front, while we had the opportunity to focus and dominate an opponent.

Understood, just not the direction I was going with the conversation. I took the OP's original post as simply a question of whether anyone had ever before seen a team quit before they played, regardless of reason. My answer was intended as basically, "no, I haven't". Looks like this thread is trying to go several directions at once, though, so I'm bowing out.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Understood, just not the direction I was going with the conversation. I took the OP's original post as simply a question of whether anyone had ever before seen a team quit before they played, regardless of reason. My answer was intended as basically, "no, I haven't". Looks like this thread is trying to go several directions at once, though, so I'm bowing out.
It was exactly that, of very limited scope. I have a knack of asking philosophical/observational questions that can open up a can of worms, when I really wanted to keep it in a vacuum. In retrospect the title was a little strong, it was a play on "Herm Edwards"

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
It was an odd situation. I imagine CSU did little to prepare for this game. I'm sure there staff was studying their potential opponents for the playoffs this past week. They were not looking to slay Goliath. They were looking to keep him occupied for 60 minutes and run away with 500K. The cash from Saturday's game help pay for their post season games. It was that or sell a butch of candy bars door to door.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
and some of you want to see a 16 team playoff?
Lol. I complained about it only being four, but when I see 16, my stomach drops. College football is amateur sports, a 16 team playoff would take the mask off of what it really is, and the powers will not do not that. I just wish the 4 team were selected by the BCS format, that is my only complaint. Give me a computer algorithm over Condoleezza Rice!

And back to the topic, Charleston Southern will not be a Championship team this year, Troy hammered them, and they are only one division down from us. They are nowhere near a good Georgia Southern team.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
CSU got a #8 seed in the FCS playoffs. They could be headed back down here in three weeks to play Jax State in the quarterfinals.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
CSU got a #8 seed in the FCS playoffs. They could be headed back down here in three weeks to play Jax State in the quarterfinals.

That is something to keep up with after getting familiar with their players. I am sure these games will be on one of the SEC channels?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Did CSU play to win the game? If if not, why play the game? Curious to opinions, I have never seen a Bama game where the opposing team came out the gate with the motives other than winning the game. Remember they sat their starting QB, it may have been their 3rd string QB that played. And they have championship aspirations in mind in their upcoming playoffs. Kind of like us playing an NFL team.

I do not blame them. Just cannot remember another game that created this situation.
I was thinking LSU and Notre Dame. 2011 and 2012 BCSNCG

;)

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I was thinking LSU and Notre Dame. 2011 and 2012 BCSNCG

;)
The Notre Dame "scrimmage" will always be a favorite of mine because it had to have made Coach Bryant smile. It did not take long for Notre Dame to know, imo, that they did not stand a chance. It was a beat-down for the ages.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
That is something to keep up with after getting familiar with their players. I am sure these games will be on one of the SEC channels?
The FCS playoffs aren't televised as far as I know. They are carried on ESPN3, which is an online only network.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.