CFP predictions (11/24)

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
Re: CFP predictions (11/24 and final)

If Mayfield can't play, OU will get curb stomped. Stoops said he has a head injury and he is questionable at best to play. That offense was horrible without Mayfield.
Although they clubbed us pretty good in the Sugar Bowl two years ago when the current backup was their starter. We definitely owe them big time!

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

Although they clubbed us pretty good in the Sugar Bowl two years ago when the current backup was their starter. We definitely owe them big time!
I would like nothing more than to see what Big Mouth Bob says after he plays this particular SEC defense.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Big Mouth Bob wants NOTHING to do with BAMA.... I was up at a sports bar Saturday night and it was comical listening to OU fans (about 100 of them) saying they'd whip BAMA and Clemson up and down the field. According to them TCU/Baylor and Okie St would also beat any SEC team..

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

A lot of you are expecting ND to lose. Some even predicting Stanford getting in even with two losses? What?!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Well, look what happened when the Domers played a top-notch defense in BC - a narrow, lucky-to-escape, three-point win. And, going into that game, BC was 1st in the country in Total Defense and last in the country in Total Offense! Stanford's D is almost as good if not as good as BC's and their offense is much, much better. Plus the game is at Stanford. I can easily see the Trees walking out with a win.

Finally, look at what is likely to happen in the Big XII. It's looking less and less likely that Mayfield is going to play against Okie State. If he doesn't play, I give the Sooners about a 20% chance - being generous - of winning that game. Then, depending upon the outcome of the TCU-Baylor game, you've got two options for the Big XII Champion:
- a one-loss Oklahoma State team whose three best wins came against teams without their starting QBs, or
- a one-loss Baylor team who has the worst OOC schedule in the world and whose loss was the most lopsided 10-point loss in the history of football.
Oh, and neither team would have a Conference Championship Game against a quality opponent to boost their ranking.

Meanwhile, Stanford would be a two-loss Power Five Champion whose first loss could be viewed as a forgivable, first-game-of-the-season, loss from which they recovered and got better as the season progressed and whose second loss was a two-point loss against an improving Oregon team. Meanwhile, their last regular season game would be a huge "quality win" over a CFP Top-4 opponent and, on Championship Saturday, their final win would be a "beating a quality team twice in one season" win - as opposed to either facing off against the mighty "BYE" or a hapless Texas team like their potential Big XII counterpart.

While both ND losing to Stanford and the Trees getting in may be unlikely, it's not exactly far-fetched.

Well, look what happened when the Domers played a top-notch defense in BC - a narrow, lucky-to-escape, three-point win. And, going into that game, BC was 1st in the country in Total Defense and last in the country in Total Offense! Stanford's D is almost as good if not as good as BC's and their offense is much, much better. Plus the game is at Stanford. I can easily see the Trees walking out with a win.

Finally, look at what is likely to happen in the Big XII. It's looking less and less likely that Mayfield is going to play against Okie State. If he doesn't play, I give the Sooners about a 20% chance - being generous - of winning that game. Then, depending upon the outcome of the TCU-Baylor game, you've got two options for the Big XII Champion:
- a one-loss Oklahoma State team whose three best wins came against teams without their starting QBs, or
- a one-loss Baylor team who has the worst OOC schedule in the world and whose loss was the most lopsided 10-point loss in the history of football.
Oh, and neither team would have a Conference Championship Game against a quality opponent to boost their ranking.

Meanwhile, Stanford would be a two-loss Power Five Champion whose first loss could be viewed as a forgivable, first-game-of-the-season, loss from which they recovered and got better as the season progressed and whose second loss was a two-point loss against an improving Oregon team. Meanwhile, their last regular season game would be a huge "quality win" over a CFP Top-4 opponent and, on Championship Saturday, their final win would be a "beating a quality team twice in one season" win - as opposed to either facing off against the mighty "BYE" or a hapless Texas team like their potential Big XII counterpart.

While both ND losing to Stanford and the Trees getting in may be unlikely, it's not exactly far-fetched.
I'll give you that ND may lose to Stanford, but no way a two loss team makes it in.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

Okie State will beat OU, since the OU QB is down. OU should have lost Saturday night, but were lucky in the end. Stanford will not be int he final 6. Those 2 losses will keep them out. They will lose to ND as well on Saturday.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

Stanford can definitely beat Notre Dame, but they are not getting into the playoff. Their resume isn't strong enough as a two loss team to trump a one loss Big 12 champion. Who have they beaten? Their best win is #22 UCLA . Meanwhile the Big 12 champion will have wins over two top 10 or 15 teams. Their one loss will also be better than both of Stanford's (excluding Oklahoma). I know some like to rag on the Big 12 because they don't play a championship game, but objectively I see no way Stanford can get in barring unforeseen chaos.

By the way, regarding Mayfield..Oklahoma has already released that he has passed his concussion tests. It's their biggest game of the year. I'll be shocked if he doesn't play Saturday.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I heard today that OU's QB has been cleared to practice?
By the way, regarding Mayfield..Oklahoma has already released that he has passed his concussion tests. It's their biggest game of the year. I'll be shocked if he doesn't play Saturday.

seriously? how the hell did he recover from a concussion in basically a day?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

seriously? how the hell did he recover from a concussion in basically a day?
They are saying that his only symptom of a concussion was the headache that he experienced after the hit. He passed all other tests at the game but was held out anyway. The headache was gone before the end of the game and he was (rightly) still held out. As the protocol requires, he is being slowly brought back into the practice routine to see if the headache returns with exertion. If it does not, since he has no other symptoms, he will (and should be) allowed to play.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Stanford making the playoff would require some major chaos as they are a 2-loss team.

North Carolina upsetting Clemson would be interesting because Clemson would still have the better resume. I think that would likely eliminate both teams.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I expect Clemson to win out, along with Alabama. The only "chaos" that I think is likely at this point would stem from a Stanford win over ND (eliminating the PAC and ND from the hunt). This would put the other four P5 conference winners in the playoff, no matter who they are, as long as they don't have 2 losses.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Michigan State 28, Iowa 27. N Carolina 28, Clemson 27. Here we have:

Alabama 12-1
Clemson 12-1
Mich St 12-1
Notre Dame 11-1
Iowa 12-1
Oklahoma 11-1
N Carolina 12-1

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Michigan State 28, Iowa 27. N Carolina 28, Clemson 27. Here we have:

Alabama 12-1
Clemson 12-1
Mich St 12-1
Notre Dame 11-1
Iowa 12-1
Oklahoma 11-1
N Carolina 12-1

If that plays out I would expect the field to be:
Alabama
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Oklahoma

Clemson can't lose that late and still get in, IMO, even with the head to head win over ND since ND would have the win over Stanford late in the season.. North Carolina won't jump high enough to leapfrog the rest of the teams ahead of it. Michigan State and Oklahoma ride the wave that they are already on right into the playoff.

If that plays out I would expect the field to be:
Alabama
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Oklahoma

Clemson can't lose that late and still get in, IMO, even with the head to head win over ND since ND would have the win over Stanford late in the season.. North Carolina won't jump high enough to leapfrog the rest of the teams ahead of it. Michigan State and Oklahoma ride the wave that they are already on right into the playoff.
I know it was the beginning of the season, but the USCe loss is a BAD loss. So you are right with UNC not making it. They do have an outside shot though.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.