CFP predictions (11/24)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Why does everyone keep assuming Clemson will be the #1 seed?

If we win two blowouts in the next ten days, we might see another last year.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
I never take beating anybody for granted. After Saturday, if the Sooners get by the budget Aggies, we can talk. Talk around here is Masen Rudolph has a broken bone in his ankle and won't play Saturday. Who would have guessed OU would play Baylor without Seth Rogers, TCU without Boykin, and OState without Rudolph?
What kind of playoff would it be without Bama/OU? It would be epic!
The "committee" has stated that they would take into account "significant injuries" :rolleyes:. If the last spot comes down to OU or ND, wouldn't this fact along with a lot of ND injuries favor ND?

OU faced TCU without Doctson also...and almost lost.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
The committee did this crap last year. They are resetting each week and waiting for results. Last week it was waiting for the Big 12 to start knocking each other out. This week is Rd 3 of that and the ND/Stanford game. They know if Iowa wins that It will have a play in game with Sparty. The outcomes of the games matter far more than these silly rankings shows which is all they are at this point. Don't look for logic look for ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The "committee" has stated that they would take into account "significant injuries" :rolleyes:. If the last spot comes down to OU or ND, wouldn't this fact along with a lot of ND injuries favor ND?

OU faced TCU without Doctson also...and almost lost.
It actually goes a layer or two below that. How do you weight non-season ending injuries, if the player is to return. That is, as against season-ending injuries where the team is permanently weakened. It's like watching a hung jury...

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Heard this on local radio today.... What if... (Other than the Rivalry game upsets, and PAC 12 Champ game, all can easily happen... I'd never say never in the rivalry games!)

SC beats Clemson
AU beats BAMA
UF beats FSU
Miss St beat Ole Miss
Stanford beats ND
TCU beats Baylor
Okie St beats OU
Michigan beats OSU

BAMA beats UF
Stanford loses Pac 12 title
Iowa beats Mich St
Clemson beats NC

Okie St wins Big 12 with 1 loss
Stanford highest ranked Pac 12 2 losses, no title
Iowa wins BIG undefeated
BAMA wins SEC with 2 losses
Clemson wins ACC with 1 loss

Who is in????

Iowa - 1
Okie St - 2
Clemson - 3
???? - 4

BAMA ???? Pro: SEC champ, Con lost late to AU
Stanford ???? Pro: Beat ND, Con did not win conference title
OU ???? Pro: Beat TCU & Baylor, Con lost to Texas last game

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
The playoff certainly has a lot of teams still in the hunt.
Agree... Going into tomorrow 10 teams have legit shots after the Baylor loss: (After tomorrow it will be a max 8 with ND/Stan and OU/OSU loser out.)

SEC:
BAMA
Florida

ACC:
Clemson
UNC

Pac 12:
Stanford

Big 12:
OU
Okie St

BIG
Iowa
Michigan St

Indy:
ND

After tomorrow I see 7:

SEC:
Alabama

BIG:
Mich St
Iowa

Big 12:
Okie St

ACC:
Clemson
NC

Pac 12:
Stanford

I'd bet Okie St (season over) and the BIG and ACC champ game winner would be guaranteed a spot. BAMA guaranteed a spot if the beat AU and UF.

I still think if BAMA were to lose to AU (not gonna happen) and Miss St beats Ole ...., BAMA would have a great shot compared to a 2 loss Stanford.

All said, I still think Clemson "Clemson's" at some point and the final 4 are:

1. BAMA
2. IOWA
3. Okie St
4. UNC

Iowa - Okie St played in a half empty stadium in Miami

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
It hurts me in any scenario to put in UNC when they have a loss to South Carolina. That's the worst loss of any of the title contenders.

If they win out, I also don't see how they can get left out. It's a tough pill to swallow either way.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
It hurts me in any scenario to put in UNC when they have a loss to South Carolina. That's the worst loss of any of the title contenders.

If they win out, I also don't see how they can get left out. It's a tough pill to swallow either way.

I don't think NC is guaranteed a spot if they beat Clemson. They would certainly have an argument, but I could see a situation where Bama/UF, the Big 10 Champ, Oklahoma, and ND get in over them. There would be a lot of butt hurt because ND lost to Clemson, but NC's schedule was a joke. ND's wins over Navy, USC, Temple, and Stanford would far outnumber one good win against Clemson. And as you said, NC's loss is terrible. I realize it was the first game of the year, but we're talking about, in all likelihood, a 3-9 South Carolina team whose only other wins came against winless UCF and Vandy. That alone puts them at a severe disadvantage.

Last edited:

That's running neck and neck with a certain Texas loss but OK is up there.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The one difference to me is that OU lost in a rivalry game that has produced upsets before. It's still an ugly loss, but has a slightly built in excuse.
JMO, but a loss to a rival should not be minimized because of the rivalry. It denigrates the efforts that teams put into games every weekend.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.