The Iron Bowl Myth: A Great Rivalry Any Team Can Win

Andy

3rd Team
Jan 21, 2005
I read somewhere that in the entire history of the rivalry that only 5 times has the unranked team in the game beaten the ranked team in the game. Four of those times it was Alabama beating Auburn and only once has Auburn beaten Alabama when we were ranked and they were not. Does anyone know if that is true?

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
If the other team wasn't named Auburn, how would that change the prediction based on their season?
Exactly this.

I suspect the line on the game would be closer to 20 were it not AU & in their house.

10-1 team vs 6-5 team that needed OT to beat an FCS team and were taken to the wire by Kentucky. Were it not for a couple of plays they would be looking at 4-7 vs 6-5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Con

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I hope we hang 49 on them in the 1st half like we did with CSU. Then break the all-time margin of victory (59 points I think) in the 2nd half. Roll Tide!

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Thanks Selma. Always appreciate not only your memory, but the insight you add to it. You always give the needed perspective.

Alan92

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 21, 2020
The series is 46-37-1. I know Auburn won a good number of games in the early 1900s, but that record is very close considering how much better Alabama has been historically than Auburn. Tells me that Auburn won a few they shouldn't have.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The series is 46-37-1. I know Auburn won a good number of games in the early 1900s, but that record is very close considering how much better Alabama has been historically than Auburn. Tells me that Auburn won a few they shouldn't have.
Well, remember: Auburn won six in a row with us on probation and acting like an elephant on roller skates.
And Auburn began the rivalry at 7-2 against us.

Reactions: TexasBama

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
I don’t care how much we win by as long as we are ahead on the scoreboard when it is over. I am still scarred growing up in an Auburn family. Having to endure punt Bama punt was enough for one lifetime.

Reactions: The Ols

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Good night in the morning, lots of hand wringing over auburn. Tennessee nearly beat them! If Tennessee had just continued to run the dang bawl when they got down there inside the barn 10 (instead of telling smoke Monday, here you go, here is an easy 100 yarder for you, my pleasure to serve you) then it would have been a VERY different end result. This is NOT, I repeat NOT a good auburn team. Yeah yeah, Gus Dye will throw everything at us, including the kitchen sink, garden hose, and fire hydrant, but, realistically, they can't keep that sandlot crap up all game. We faced a much better auburn team in 2018 and put half a hundred plus 2 on them. 52-21 doesn't even begin to tell the whole story of that ballgame. It COULD have been something like 66-7, easily. We have not dropped back to back games to them since the pre Saban years. So unless it turns out that the Saban era never actually happened, and I just woke up to the horror that it's actually still 2006 and Saban is not our coach and this entire time was all a cruel joke dream, then auburn is not going to win. And it's not going to be some sort of epic game that comes down to the final play. 2019 hasn't been forgotten. Payback is coming, believe that!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The defense continues to bother me about this Alabama team and never discount the Iron Bowl as the game where a quarterback the "caliber" (<--- Not a compliment btw) of Bo Nix has his best game of the season. Not to turn this into a defensive coordinator discussion, but Gus is the type of OC that regardless of talent can schematically embarrass a DC like Golding.

My hope is our offense is on point and it won't matter. Our offense is that good, Mac Jones is that good, N Harris is that good, Davonta Smith is that good, our OL is that good. So that's where I'm hanging my hopes this weekend.

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Good night in the morning, lots of hand wringing over auburn. Tennessee nearly beat them! If Tennessee had just continued to run the dang bawl when they got down there inside the barn 10 (instead of telling smoke Monday, here you go, here is an easy 100 yarder for you, my pleasure to serve you) then it would have been a VERY different end result. This is NOT, I repeat NOT a good auburn team. Yeah yeah, Gus Dye will throw everything at us, including the kitchen sink, garden hose, and fire hydrant, but, realistically, they can't keep that sandlot crap up all game. We faced a much better auburn team in 2018 and put half a hundred plus 2 on them. 52-21 doesn't even begin to tell the whole story of that ballgame. It COULD have been something like 66-7, easily. We have not dropped back to back games to them since the pre Saban years. So unless it turns out that the Saban era never actually happened, and I just woke up to the horror that it's actually still 2006 and Saban is not our coach and this entire time was all a cruel joke dream, then auburn is not going to win. And it's not going to be some sort of epic game that comes down to the final play. 2019 hasn't been forgotten. Payback is coming, believe that!
For those of us who were listening in 1972 when Alabama had held Auburn practically 0 yards and lost it in the final minute on the 2nd blocked punt TD, witnessed the 97 fumble in the final minute, the Mark Ingram fumble through the end zone and finally the kick six it is difficult to not believe that anything can and does happen against the Cow College. I will have a drink to your excellent analysis when the clock says :00. ;)

Reactions: Tide Rev

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
The defense continues to bother me about this Alabama team and never discount the Iron Bowl as the game where a quarterback the "caliber" (<--- Not a compliment btw) of Bo Nix has his best game of the season. Not to turn this into a defensive coordinator discussion, but Gus is the type of OC that regardless of talent can schematically embarrass a DC like Golding.

My hope is our offense is on point and it won't matter. Our offense is that good, Mac Jones is that good, N Harris is that good, Davonta Smith is that good, our OL is that good. So that's where I'm hanging my hopes this weekend.
our running game with the horses we have is good enough to win the game even without our the great passing game. Eric Gray of Tenn shredded them on the ground behind what I considered the 2nd best OL behind Alabama. their DL and LBs are not strong at the point of attack ( their best defensive player ILB Britt is done for the year) and their secondary is average at best.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
This is probably the least concerned I’ve been over this game in the last several years.

After watching Tennessee gash their defense, especially on the ground, I’m thinking this shouldn’t even be close. Only Chaney and Pruitt’s play calling prevented that game from being closer. Christ, you’re running the ball straight at them for 6 or 7 yards a pop, and then get into the red zone and decide to make a throw that turns into a pick six? An almost certain 14 point swing.

Bama is going to go through that defense like a dose of Epsom salts through a constipated cat.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well, remember: Auburn won six in a row with us on probation and acting like an elephant on roller skates.
And Auburn began the rivalry at 7-2 against us.
They also completely dodged us (honestly we dodged each other) during the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s. Which just so happened to be 3 of our most successful decades, and 3 of their more mediocre ones. The series record would look a lot more like the Tennessee one, maybe worse, had we not had the hiatus during those times.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.