Fran Phony plays Idaho next week.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Someone brought up his name this week and I thought he had retired from Coaching, seems his is coaching Texas State. They have a awesome record of 3-7 and get the Idaho Vandals this week. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Texas_State_Bobcats_football_team
As you were taught if you cant say anything nice about someone dont say anything.

Funny thing is Elephants do have long memo

http://a.espncdn.com/ncf/columns/maisel_ivan/1472033.htmlries..... Great article for you that dont recall what he did...

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Someone brought up his name this week and I thought he had retired from Coaching, seems his is coaching North Texas. They have a awesome record of 3-7 and get the Idaho Vandals this week. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Texas_State_Bobcats_football_team

As you were taught if you cant say anything nice about someone dont say anything.

Funny thing is Elephants do have long memories.....
Karma.
Funny how, is he had done the honorable thing (by which I mean "doing what you say you will do," or "honoring commitments to the best of your ability."), he would probably be in a much better place right now. I'm not sure the University of Alabama would be in as good a place as she is now, but he would probably be better off.
I can't say I wish him well or ill, he just does not register on the give-a-hoot meter.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I didn't know all the details but just looked him up and this is what I found on Wiki:

Alabama

Franchione became the head coach at the University of Alabama in 2001 and led the team, which had posted a 3–8 record the prior season, to a 7–5 record in 2001 and a 10–3 record in 2002. The 2001 team won the Independence Bowl, which became Alabama's first bowl win after five seasons. The 2002 team finished with a 6–2 conference record, placing first in the West Division of the Southeastern Conference. However, due to NCAA sanctions resulting from violations of the previous Alabama head coach, Mike DuBose, the 2002 team was ineligible for postseason games, including the SEC Championship Game. The turnaround success Franchione made prompted Alabama officials to offer Franchione a 10-year contract extension worth $15 million. Franchione, however, did not sign the offer. Following Alabama's victory over the University of Hawaii and the dismissal of Texas A&M head coach R. C. Slocum, Franchione resigned at Alabama and was named head coach at Texas A&M after publicly stating that he would not leave. His decision was influenced by the NCAA sanctions placed on Alabama, which included a two-year bowl ban, the loss of 21 scholarships over three years, and five years probation. Franchione did not return to Alabama after interviewing for the job, instead informing his players of his decision to accept the job at Texas A&M via video teleconference.[SUP][10][/SUP] Many Alabama fans noted the similarities between Franchione's departure from TCU and how he left Alabama. His departure from Alabama, and his use of video conferencing to inform his players and staff remains, as does his departure at TCU, somewhat controversial.

========

I can only imagine the disdain and disappointment felt at Alabama by the way his departure was handled.

Maybe getting a great coach like Nick Saban was some kind of karma.....

EDIT: Just saw your comment about karma as well, Tidewater...I think it's true!

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
He took withering national criticism over how he left Bama, and went into a tailspin that's evidently still spiraling down. He got the team to hold his precious rope then he let go of it himself.

Plus he talked through his nose.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I haven't heard that nasal twang voice for years. And I'm happy about that.

I think the Aggies thought that they had pulled one on us to pay us back for Coach Bryant returning to Mama, but after that 77 to zip thrashing by Oklahoma they had second thoughts about that!

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
There was a report out last week he would not be retained at TSU. That was apparently false. They beat ULM Sat. to move to 4-7.

Also he was offered $1.5 million per year for 10 years. At the time I thought that it was a crazy amount to pay a coach and my how things have changed. Our current coach is worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Just to put into perspective how long it has been. Sad thing is that I really liked him, I liked the organization of the team, the option offense, solid defense, it was a huge mistake that he made and he wore the rope around his neck the rest of career because of the new internet age imo, he could not hide. Coach Shula's first game against Oklahoma was with a Fran built team, and it was probably the best the team ever looked under Mike as a coach. Stigma. Coach Fran had some issue's, his father committed suicide and he relied on others for guidance too much, like Mike McKenzie. I think we would have been stable and ok with him through probation. He has yet to say so, but I know he has big regrets about leaving. I personally believe it directly led to his deterioration if you look at his coaching career. He lost his integrity and word, and we did a great job of letting him know it. I did.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.