Fran Phony plays Idaho next week.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If he hadn't left when he did, we probably don't have Nick Saban as the coach today. His leaving led to Price, which led to Shula and Shula getting fired at the right time.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
This was the first time I recall people reporting aircraft tail numbers. Had we known what lay ahead, we would have been at the airport waving buh bye.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
How I miss reading "Kim's Corner"...

But his tenure at Texas A&M did offer this legacy.

I miss Kim's corner too. I used to go there are read Friday with Fran just to gloat at the damage control he was fighting so hard to make stick. Kim stopped saying anything about football the last couple of years and most rehashed weeks cooking and fashion trip. I was a lovely meltdown to behold!

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP....1co0&w=105&h=105&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&pid=3.1&rm=2

Last edited:

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL
I am surprised that you are now just noticing that he is the coach of Texas State. They became an FBS school in 2012 and he has been the coach that whole time. They are in the Sun Belt conference.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Just to put into perspective how long it has been. Sad thing is that I really liked him, I liked the organization of the team, the option offense, solid defense, it was a huge mistake that he made and he wore the rope around his neck the rest of career because of the new internet age imo, he could not hide. Coach Shula's first game against Oklahoma was with a Fran built team, and it was probably the best the team ever looked under Mike as a coach. Stigma. Coach Fran had some issue's, his father committed suicide and he relied on others for guidance too much, like Mike McKenzie. I think we would have been stable and ok with him through probation. He has yet to say so, but I know he has big regrets about leaving. I personally believe it directly led to his deterioration if you look at his coaching career. He lost his integrity and word, and we did a great job of letting him know it. I did.
I was told by someone who at the time was heavily involved in NCAA athletics that Francioni was an excellent coach. I think the general feeling in the industry was this was a very good hire for Bama.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
He took withering national criticism over how he left Bama, and went into a tailspin that's evidently still spiraling down. He got the team to hold his precious rope then he let go of it himself.

Plus he talked through his nose.
Ha-ha! I work for a guy who talks through his nose, like Fran, and it drives me insane! I think of Fran every time I hear my boss. Ugh!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.