Link: Where will Chip Kelly coach next season?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I see, if this is the case agree completely. It is amazing the diverse skill set someone has to have to win consistently at this level. I don't think that was always the case, but it certainly is now.
Man, you ain't kidding. Tremendous football knowledge is a necessity. The ability to sell yourself and the program to the kid and his parents is a necessity. The ability to manage all the time drains / requirements is a necessity. The ability to know which kid will respond to the stick and which to the carrot is a necessity. It's crazy what it takes at this level...

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
They made a mistake when they let Cutcliff loose. They only have to look back to the nutt to see they have a good one now. It would be better to go 9-3 and 10-2 every year than dwell at the bottom. They are not supplanting Alabama as the league standard bearer though. He is home and loving it but 2-3 losses every year in the sec west might garner a bigger plum one day. I only see him leaving if the offer is right. Kelly, though, would be looking west coast for his next stop.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
The OM fans I know - those who are plugged in, so to speak - say his managerial skills are his Achilles' heal. Both this season an last he lost control of the locker room with preferential treatment of players, etc. - unless / until he figured out how to manage 80+ young men, no amount of Xs and Os will allow him to be better than he is.
That would also explain the erratic results (i.e., surprising upset wins and head-scratching losses).

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
To me, this is the weirdest stat on Coach HF (note: it comes from a numbers cruncher as a guest on a Sports Talk show, so fwiw): Apparently, when his guys are favored, he has the worst winning percentage in the SEC; as the underdog, he has the best winning percentage in the SEC.

Looking back over his record as a casual observer who lives in MS, it fits. Seems he coaches as a motivator more than a technician.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The OM fans I know - those who are plugged in, so to speak - say his managerial skills are his Achilles' heal. Both this season an last he lost control of the locker room with preferential treatment of players, etc. - unless / until he figured out how to manage 80+ young men, no amount of Xs and Os will allow him to be better than he is.
Yunno, listening to him speak, whether it's halftime interviews or whatever, he seems like he wants to be friends with his players more than he wants to be their coach. There's your ceiling....

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I doubt the Eagles will fire Chip, but they won't stand in his way if he wants to go back to the NCAA. I think he will be relieved of his GM duties or be closely chaperoned if he remains GM next year. I hope he packs his bags for sunny LA. He has been a complete failure here IMO.

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
Yunno, listening to him speak, whether it's halftime interviews or whatever, he seems like he wants to be friends with his players more than he wants to be their coach. There's your ceiling....
Its hard coaching grown men with salaries larger than yours who do not want to listen to you. They can be rough on a coach that has been at the college level.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.