Link: Ryan Kelly on Carl Lawson: 'Honestly don't know who that is'

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I would bet someone on the coaching staff let them make those comments. If not Saban will clamp a lid on it and you wont hear one more negative thing out of the Bama camp. Those comments were not that bad.. i am hard pressed to name more than 2 of their players .

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I don't see any problem with Ryan Kelly's statement. If he is asked to comment on a player he genuinely hasn't heard of before...then that was the right answer. Unsurprising given that during the season the team is so busy studying tape for the next game.

Cyrus Jones didn't say anything untrue...but it's just not my style. I've always just thought it was classier to pay your opponent respect before the game and then whip their tails on the field. I was always of the "don't tell me, show me" mantra.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Can't say I like what I am hearing from the players, but I don't think it will make any difference.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
Yep not a fan of the quotes but I seriously doubt Auburn has the ability to beat us this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
as far as Kelly's comments on Carl Lawson, Kelly is a center Lawson is a DE. they don't usually make contact unless the play breaks down. Lawson was a freshmen sensation, then get injured and never saw the field his sophomore year. he finally sees the field more than halfway in through the season. since Lawson's return, he has made that average Dline more respectable but nothing great. his number is rarely called. his injury is very serious and is not going away anytime soon. he is a tough player, playing through some pain. he's a natural leader for that defense, playing more as a moral type player than actually an impactful player at this point. even the barn faithful thought he would never see another snap. so in essence, unless you follow SEC or auburn football, Carl Lawson is almost an unknown commodity in the last 2 seasons.
Kelly is not alone in his comment...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Jeremy Johnson has not improved period. It's Gus hiding JJ in the offense to make him look better. Watch his first game earlier this season... and see how he was making reads, and his footwork. Now, look at him against teams the last two weeks. He's not making lot of reads like he did early this season. I really dont think he has times to throw the ball.. He'll be forced to make decisions fast and it wont bod well for him. Sean White would be better option, but he's injured.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In a game like this, with trash talk all around, I wouldn't worry about "bulletin board" stuff as much as the general attitude. The fact is that this Alabama team does not play well when it does not respect its opponent.

Forget that Auburn is an inferior opponent. That is immaterial. This game will be decided by Alabama. And this Alabama team needs to be motivated to fire on all cylinders.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I said this from the start of the season - AU is talent deficient at just about every position on offense and defense. They have one pretty good receiver (Louis) and other than that their best offensive player is Jovon Robinson but he stays out of shape and in the doghouse. Their other running backs (Barber, Thomas and Kerryon Johnson) are small or very one dimensional. If Johnson gets the ball it's going to be a sweep to the outside etc. The AU defense lacks talent all over the place. They really only have 2 good players on that side of the ball - Carlton Davis (who is a true freshman) and Carl Lawson. Said all that to say giving bulletin board material to a talented team can come back to bite you but if the team doesn't have the requisite talent and coaching then it matters not. JMO..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
In a game like this, with trash talk all around, I wouldn't worry about "bulletin board" stuff as much as the general attitude. The fact is that this Alabama team does not play well when it does not respect its opponent.

Forget that Auburn is an inferior opponent. That is immaterial. This game will be decided by Alabama. And this Alabama team needs to be motivated to fire on all cylinders.
Did we trash talk against Okalhoma? Ole Miss? LSU?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Did we trash talk against Okalhoma? Ole Miss? LSU?
As I said, the trash talk, per se, would not be the problem. Your only problem will be if your team don't respect their team. Not sure that we really know how the players feel about that, but the words don't seem to indicate a deep level of respect. That worries me.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Talking can be fun for the kids.

However, if you're gonna talk the talk, you better walk the walk. And as long as Bama does their job and walks all over Auburn, this little talk will mean nothing.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I said this from the start of the season - AU is talent deficient at just about every position on offense and defense. They have one pretty good receiver (Louis) and other than that their best offensive player is Jovon Robinson but he stays out of shape and in the doghouse. Their other running backs (Barber, Thomas and Kerryon Johnson) are small or very one dimensional. If Johnson gets the ball it's going to be a sweep to the outside etc. The AU defense lacks talent all over the place. They really only have 2 good players on that side of the ball - Carlton Davis (who is a true freshman) and Carl Lawson. Said all that to say giving bulletin board material to a talented team can come back to bite you but if the team doesn't have the requisite talent and coaching then it matters not. JMO..
Crimsonforce is right.

I'm so confused to how they're handling the roster when it comes to playing time.

QB: Both QBs combined for 9 touchdowns... White has 1. Both combined for 9 ints. JJ has 7. Their completion rate isnt pretty. 59.6 combined.
RB: I will never understand their theory behind the rotation of the RBs. Barber should start, but yet Robinson, Thomas, Johnson, Louis and others... Its pitiful.
Their longest TD by *drum roll* Jeremy Johnson for 65 yards. It's amazing that Barber has 13, Robinson 2, Thomas 1, Johnson 2, Louis 1, JJ 5........
WRs: Ricardo Louis only has 675 with 3 touchdown, but after that, the number drops big time. Put Cyrus on Louis and man, they wont have anyone to throw to.

OL line: Golson is questionable. I doubt he'll play. Their OL is wounded and theyre tired... and I don’t think they have faced physical team..Can the OL handle Reed, Pettway, Robinson, Hand, Evans, Allen, Ragland, Foster, and so on.. we're 2 deep we never get tired.
DL Line: Theyre solid. They improved, but still lot of work in progress.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm not a fan of the comments. Yet I don't think it will matter.

I remember an offensive lineman on the 1994 Alabama team... seems like maybe it as Jon Stevenson... that was asked about Ohio State's DL before the 1995 Citrus Bowl. His comment? "Slow, and lack of foot speed."

Didn't seem to make a difference in that game.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
As I said, the trash talk, per se, would not be the problem. Your only problem will be if your team don't respect their team. Not sure that we really know how the players feel about that, but the words don't seem to indicate a deep level of respect. That worries me.
two weeks ago, you were saying something about the team that was worrying about you that might affect LSU game... Don't you worry my friend.. When I played basketball.. I said lot of things that my coaches wouldnt probably approve of, I just think it was taken out of context and I think they do respect the game, the rivlary and they always have... They know Auburn will come out and play hard, give us the best shot. The fact we came out strong against Charleston Southern tells me that theyre forcused and are determined to get to their dream. I just dont think Cyrus and Ryan really dont care who they play.. but just wanted to focus on doing theier job and get it over with. Some people are tired of Iron bowl talk... It's one of the most overhyped game every year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah. I'm not necessarily worried, but I don't like it. But that's just me. It's not how I'd compete, but it works for a lot of athletes. Not that I am, nor ever have been a real athlete. :smile:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.