Link: Ryan Kelly on Carl Lawson: 'Honestly don't know who that is'

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Wait, I just paid closer attention to the full quote by Kelly. He's literally saying he doesn't know him and will find out more about him as they start preparing this week.

Jones's comments are worse, but still. It's not going to make a difference in this game.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
"They're pretty good players, you know, athletic, fast."
"I don't think they're nothing special, honestly."
"But we still can't overlook them,"
"We've still got to prepare for them like we're playing the best guys in our conference. I just think we have to come in there ready to do our job, which we do every weekend."

What's the big deal? Doesn't sound like disrespect to me.
The media decided to pull one line from an interview to use as a headline to get people all in a tizzy. It worked.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Lawson didn't play last year - he did play two years ago. So really, RK only saw him once and I don't know how many times he had to block him.
CL hasn't had his name in the papers every week (he missed more than a couple of games this year), so RK not knowing who he is isn't really a big deal.
Face it, Bama has faced better receivers than the Barn has by a large margin, so Cyrus's comments when taken in total are also not inappropriate.
Reporters looking for something, anything to even give the Barn a glimmer of hope - just got squashed.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't like providing motivation to the opponent either. Its atypical for Saban team too. Wonder if there is something going on here, as in maybe an Auburn player or players has been sending some smack their way over social media or over the phone (some of these guys in-state especially played together in high school). Who knows...it is oddly out of character.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I'm not upset by any of it, but they better not take auburn lightly either.

If we go down there and try to sleepwalk to a win it will be a rough day.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I saw someone on Twitter mention this...the last two times Auburn beat us they were championship caliber teams. This team is far from it.

our guys can say anything and everything...won't make a difference. We said things before the other big games this year. They are kids. What do you expect?

It's hard for even me to name people on the team, and I'm a fan of football as a whole. Nobody really sticks out other than two bad QBs. These guys have a lot more on their plate than I do too.

As for Cy, well, he shouldn't have said that. That's just me. I see what he was trying to say though. They'll come out pumped then.... It's gonna get ugly for them.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
So what Kellys said was absolutely nothing.

I played with a ton of guys who paid zero attention to football outside of what we were doing on the field. Heck, they would ask me every Sunday at film study what the division standings were because they had no idea.

The only way the ever knew a player on another team was if they knew them previously.

What Cyrus said was typical speak of almost any DB. If they want to use it as bulletin board material so be it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
That's ok. I have a feeling that Ryan will now get an introduction from Mr Lawson this coming Saturday afternoon.

Probably not a big deal and I don't doubt for one minute that Ryan did not mean any disrespect--but in a case like this its not intent so much as it is effect. Why give an arch rival even just a bit of extra motivation?

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
That's ok. I have a feeling that Ryan will now get an introduction from Mr Lawson this coming Saturday afternoon.

Probably not a big deal and I don't doubt for one minute that Ryan did not mean any disrespect--but in a case like this its not intent so much as it is effect. Why give an arch rival even just a bit of extra motivation?
Yeah, Lawson is a heck of a player. He doesn't need anything extra, so I would prefer the standard lines like we are going to have to play our best to win this game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.