Link: Ryan Kelly on Carl Lawson: 'Honestly don't know who that is'

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
our problem wasn't taking them lightly. according to saban, we were too wound up in that game.
what does that mean? They were too tight? Could be but the impression I got from afar was we weren't focused and maybe we were overlooking them a bit. That's the way I would characterize the 2013 iron bowl. I thought we were too tight.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
This Auburn team is probably a lot like the 2009 and 2011 units. I'd lean more 2011 than 2009 because Todd was a pretty solid college quarterback by the end of that 2009 season. That 2009 matchup was also the first time Saban/Smart had ever seen the Malzahn offense in person and they probably didn't get the players as prepared for the window dressing as they could today with years of tape on them. Plus, they threw out everything they could early in the game and had all hits.

I do think this is a motivator for Auburn but the at the end of the day it comes down to talent and execution. If Alabama executes then their talent will win the day, if they don't then they can lose. Just like any game. I just hope their minds are right.
Agreed ... anyone can get beat ... especially in the Iron Bowl. We've been on the wrong side of focus before when playing the Barn when we've had the best team in the country and ended up waling away with an L at the end of the game. I'd rather our boys be focused, go in a throttle the Barn with a dominating performance and then we can talk all the trash we want afterwards.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
what does that mean? They were too tight? Could be but the impression I got from afar was we weren't focused and maybe we were overlooking them a bit. That's the way I would characterize the 2013 iron bowl. I thought we were too tight.
saban's take on the game was they were too hyped up for it, too focused on it and ended up making mistakes. he talked about it a few times.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

Coach said they were too excited or emotional or something like that... said something like he had to settle them down. I don't think it was "tight" as much as it was "hyped up"

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
i think Saban meant they were too fired up and over hyped in the Ole Miss game.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Ryan Kelly's statements really need to be disregarded if we're talking about trash talk. He was literally saying, "I don't know that guy." As in, I haven't heard of him, not I don't think anything of him or his ability. And it was because he was under the impression that Lawson was an offensive player, which would mean Kelly wouldn't have anything to do with knowing about him.

So, Auburn can get wound up over that if they like, but they are stupid to and it won't do any good.

markenk

1st Team
Aug 3, 2003
England
i think Saban meant they were too fired up and over hyped in the Ole Miss game.
I think the team was too tight, too tense for a big match up that week. This reminds me of Joe Montana story in the 1989 Super Bowl. Down by 3 with 3 minutes to go, on their likely last offensive drive, he pointed out to the stand and said "hey, isn't that John Candy?". That one offhand comment really loosened up the entire 49ers' offense and they went on for 90+ yards to score for the win.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I don't know about anyone else here, but I honestly have never heard of him either. I can see where Kelly is coming from.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Whatever.
Agree. Just because a game is competitive doesn't mean we took it lightly. Sometimes things are just a little out of storts and you end up in a close one against a team that is giving it their all and has good players. I disagree with B10 characterization of what Coach Saban means by playing to the standard. Just because they don't execute at the level we want to doesn't mean the players didn't practice hard or watch film. To me this team has showed great heart, a killer instinct, and an ability to finish people in the fourth. This team is similar to our previous national championship teams with elite defensive ability and a physical attitude on offense. I really think it is going to be hard for any team we face to deal with our depthy in the front seven and the pounding of Henry and the offensive line.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I don't know about anyone else here, but I honestly have never heard of him either. I can see where Kelly is coming from.
Maybe if they asked him about the guy who wears whatever uniform number he wears, he might have known who they were talking about.

In any case, sure that he does, after the team meeting. Which is what he said.

Reporters..................oy vey.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Guess I'm a weirdo football fan, but I know who Lawson is. I was surprised that RK didn't, but I guess there are quite a few folks who don't obsess over CFB like I do.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Just a guess, but I believe that Kelly is really focused from week to week with the DTs and NGs he's gong to face against him the following week. OCs rarely face DEs and he probably won't this week. I doubt that Saban is very disturbed at all that he doesn't know who Lawson is. If he did, it might be a sign that he's trying to "look down the road," and worry. That he doesn't know is probably a sign that he's bought into Saban's "process."

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Auburn this year has been full of talk, smoke, mirrors and gimmicks. But when tasked with backing any of it up on the field they have been below average. I'd say their best game was probably against Arkansas and Ole Miss (both games they lost). Everyone says their Defense has improved since Lawson came back and I would agree. But Texas A&M and Georgia both have serious issues at QB and Idaho is a cream puff so how much they have improved is hard to quantify.

I know Auburn folks live in the moment of the kick 6 and talk about the "upset" but that was an Auburn team that went to the national championship game and almost won. They were not a 6-5 team with only two wins over +500 division I opponents.

I think Alabama's players are not part of this hoopla. I think they were forced by them losing early and by one of the nations toughest schedules to zone in on the task at hand every week. The players names don't matter, the numbers on the chests of the guys you have to stop do.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Just watched the video of Kelly's comments. Most certainly was NOT smack talking - he just didn't know who Lawson is by name and it's clear if you watch the video instead of just read the comments. The comments by Cyrus however certainly seem to be taking a shot at the AU receivers, albeit a mild one at best. Like someone else said, if AU needs that to get up for the game, they are in trouble anyway.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Guess I'm a weirdo football fan, but I know who Lawson is. I was surprised that RK didn't, but I guess there are quite a few folks who don't obsess over CFB like I do.
Yah most people who have watched any Auburn games this year - especially earlier in the season after he returned from injury and made an immediate impact- have probably heard of Carl Lawson. But we are the privileged ones who get to sit in our cushy chairs and put up our feet while Ryan Kelly and the rest of the gang tape up their knuckles and get ready to cave in the sternum of anther 280+ pound man.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.