Link: Ryan Kelly on Carl Lawson: 'Honestly don't know who that is'

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Guess I'm a weirdo football fan, but I know who Lawson is. I was surprised that RK didn't, but I guess there are quite a few folks who don't obsess over CFB like I do.
I'm like you, Brad. I know who Carl Lawson is. Surprised some on here don't know him since he's been discussed in several Auburn threads this year.

I was a little surprised Ryan didn't know, but I forgot Lawson didn't play last year due to his ACL injury as well as Ryan primarily facing NGs and DTs instead of DEs.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Yah most people who have watched any Auburn games this year -
And who would those people be? Certainly no one that I know. I watch our game, and that is about it. Look in on a few minutes, on and off, of other games. Maybe.

Unless API is playing. Null set. (Nerd speak.)

(Not that it matters, but I also never watch any of the other stuff on ESPN, that so many here kvetch about. Hint: don't watch it!)

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al
I'm not upset by any of it, but they better not take auburn lightly either.

If we go down there and try to sleepwalk to a win it will be a rough day.
Thanks - that is what I was trying to say.
See it happened to you. You had a difficult time conveying what you wanted to say and so did Cyrus. I think he wanted to be respectful but it just came out wrong. As for Ryan I think he truly did not know.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Anybody think the barn will line CL up over RK so he can introduce himself? Just sounds like something Gus would do...

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Just a guess, but I believe that Kelly is really focused from week to week with the DTs and NGs he's gong to face against him the following week. OCs rarely face DEs and he probably won't this week. I doubt that Saban is very disturbed at all that he doesn't know who Lawson is. If he did, it might be a sign that he's trying to "look down the road," and worry. That he doesn't know is probably a sign that he's bought into Saban's "process."
He's always pointing out what the defense is doing, though, making the line calls. Lawson will have some of his attention on Saturday. If he doesn't, I don't think that is a good thing.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
And who would those people be? Certainly no one that I know. I watch our game, and that is about it. Look in on a few minutes, on and off, of other games. Maybe.

Unless API is playing. Null set. (Nerd speak.)

(Not that it matters, but I also never watch any of the other stuff on ESPN, that so many here kvetch about. Hint: don't watch it!)
So you are strictly an Alabama fan and not a fan of the sport of football? Nothing wrong with that at all just curious. I'm a fan of football so I'll watch pretty much any college or NFL game..

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Ryan Kelly and Cyrus Jones know better. You keep your mouths shut, regardless of the intent. The media is ALWAYS going to play the gotchca game. Please guys, take a cue from Derrick Henry and DON'T fall into the trap. I watched Derrick on 2 national shows yesterday and he never once fell for the bait like these 2 did. Just do the coach speak and nothing more. smh

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Ryan Kelly and Cyrus Jones know better. You keep your mouths shut, regardless of the intent. The media is ALWAYS going to play the gotchca game. Please guys, take a cue from Derrick Henry and DON'T fall into the trap. I watched Derrick on 2 national shows yesterday and he never once fell for the bait like these 2 did. Just do the coach speak and nothing more. smh
What bait did Ryan Kelly take? He was asked the simple question "What's it like going up against a guy like Carl Lawson?" It's evident from the video he honestly had no clue who he was.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
What bait did Ryan Kelly take? He was asked the simple question "What's it like going up against a guy like Carl Lawson?" It's evident from the video he honestly had no clue who he was.
It's just the gotcha game the media plays. He could have said I don't go against him, that's not my assignment, etc. As a senior leader, he knows the game the media plays. He could have said, I don't focus on individuals, just their defense or whatever. IDK, it just gets old with the media playing this game. They won't do it to the barn, though. The barn is the underdog and the media love that, as well. smh

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The right answer probably - was "I'll have a better answer for you after I watch some film" --

But.....I'm not stressed about it. He probably should know who he is....since he's a Senior and Lawson has been around.....at least from last year.....

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It's just the gotcha game the media plays. He could have said I don't go against him, that's not my assignment, etc. As a senior leader, he knows the game the media plays.
Did you watch the video? He seemed like it was the first time he had heard Carl's name.

He could have said, I don't focus on individuals, just their defense or whatever.
That would have been a fine answer. I'll give you that.

IDK, it just gets old with the media playing this game. They won't do it to the barn, though. The barn is the underdog and the media love that, as well. smh
There's no game being played by the media here. The reporter asked a general, basic question thinking Ryan would know a preseason All-SEC DL. He didn't and admitted it. The media didn't try to trick him.

The right answer probably - was "I'll have a better answer for you after I watch some film" --

But.....I'm not stressed about it. He probably should know who he is....since he's a Senior and Lawson has been around.....at least from last year.....
Lawson was out all last year with a torn ACL. He did play in 2013 as a true freshman, though.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Tell me what exactly have any of AU's WR's done this year that would make them special??? Louis has shown **SOME** flashes of being good but just as many dropped passes not to mention fumbling at the 1 yard line against UGA which ultimately cost them that game. As far as Lawson, he is a DE and RK is a center. Last I checked, centers rarely ever block DE's.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Yes. I wish Kelly had NOT said what he did. Carl Lawson will be MOTIVATED to really INTRODUCE HIMSELF on Saturday. Hopefully, Carl will be moving backward and downward while being introduced.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
It's just the gotcha game the media plays. He could have said I don't go against him, that's not my assignment, etc. As a senior leader, he knows the game the media plays. He could have said, I don't focus on individuals, just their defense or whatever. IDK, it just gets old with the media playing this game. They won't do it to the barn, though. The barn is the underdog and the media love that, as well. smh
If Ryan really doesn't know who he is, how could he have answered that way? If he doesn't know who is is, he would know what position he played, so he could say whether or not he'd be blocking him or not.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
Some of us worry too much. Let the boys sort it out on Saturday. They will all know who the other one is when it's over. Roll Tide, aight!!!!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Another thought - a lot of people on this site have ranted about the lack of focus placed on this game by Saban/Alabama vs the focus placed on this game by Auburn and its coaches. Many have even posited that the reason that Saban led Alabama teams have struggled with Auburn is tied to the fact that they place so much more emphasis on the game than you guys do.

So, tell me, is Alabama placing enough emphasis on this game?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.