Need help importing data from hard drive

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Over the weekend, I installed a new hard drive in my Mac Mini. I need to know how to import my photos and music after I get finished updating my software on it. I have everything backed up to an external hard drive. I attempted to use Migration Assistant yesterday, but for some reason it didn't download all my music even though the songs are showing up on my external. I had other issues so I wiped the new hard drive again and am currently doing all the software updates to get a fresh software install.

Anyone have experience transferring their data to a "new" computer? I haven't done this in a long time, but I don't remember it being this hard...

All the songs in my iTunes library had clouds out beside there, and none of my playlist showed up, which I guess isn't a big deal. I cannot create new ones, but I was hoping this would be easier.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I don't know anything about a product called Migration Assistant, but have you tried copying the files from the external hard drive to wherever they are supposed to be on your live system?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't know anything about a product called Migration Assistant, but have you tried copying the files from the external hard drive to wherever they are supposed to be on your live system?
Migration Assistant is an Apple program to transfer documents from one drive to another. I thought it just worked with computers, though. Didn't realize it would work with an external hard drive.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I use the drag method when I do mine. Grab and drag the files. Not one by one...'select all' and then do it.

I have a PC though so not sure if this would be appropriate with a Mac.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I haven't yet. The program built into the Mac I thought would do it easily, but it didn't get all the music. It looks like all the photos transferred over though.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I used a kit a couple of times when I bought a new PC to transfer the contents of my hard drive to the new one. A few weeks ago I was getting ready to do this again after I bought a new PC. Instead of buying the kit for $70, I just decided to let Best Buy do it for around $100.

They put all the contents on to a new external HD and when I picked it up they said some files weren't there because their virus scan picked it up and they were deleted. Basically all I had were pictures, some financial docs and the like.

Just something to think about for a little extra security.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.