L5U to make a run at Art Briles (per my Waco/Baylor source)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
But who knows if Briles would go there. Briles has said many times he'd never leave the state of Texas. But we all know that Money talks. Briles name has been tied to the LSU job in the past too believe it or not.

Briles bringing that offense to Baton Rouge would be interesting.

Mike Gundy is another name I am seeing thrown around within my Baylor circles. But LSU really wants Art Briles.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: LSU to make a run at Art Briles (per my Waco/Baylor source)

Wouldn't want that whiner anywhere near my program.

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012

Seems like it'd be a long, painful turnaround for LSU to change from a power football style team to Briles' high speed high octane all-offense no-defense style. I wonder how long the fans and boosters will be patient while the transformation happens. I wonder how many 5-star Louisiana athletes will announce for Alabama while it's happening. And I wonder how many losing seasons it will take before everyone involved realizes what a colossal mistake it was to bring flag football to the SEC.

I say, let them try! :)

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Here I go again. This is what will happen; this is a wake up call, Les is on Notice that he is playing for his job.......next year. LSU will take a big PR hit if they dump him this year, and that will be the angle that wins out. He is going no where this year.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

Its no secret that the general feeling there is that LSU wants an offensive minded type of head coach. More specifically one that runs the HUNH offense.

Perhaps Chip Kelly could be in the cards too?

And Art Briles offensive system is simple to run. Look how quickly he turned Baylor around. LSU gets higher calibur players than Baylor does. I think Briles could turn LSU around very quickly as long as he lands one of the QB's he known for recruiting. LSU has always had good skill players on offense.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

I should not have read anything so ridiculous, right after eating. My sides still hurt.

What have they been frying those corndogs in??????

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Wouldn't want that whiner anywhere near my program.
This + .

Would love to have Briles in Baton Rouge. Let's see how he does without the advantages of not being in a state where he knows half the high school coaches in the state on a first-name basis, and only preparing for one or two real contests a season.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I guess he could recruit Texas a lot. He knows lots of high school football coaches in Texas since he was one.

Maybe he could recruit wide receivers, plenty of them in Louisiana. I bet they'd love to play for him since the ball will be in the air a lot.

I think Texas blew it by NOT hiring him. Someone needs to go after his son, a chip off the OLD BLOCK! If Kiffen left, I could see hiring him, his son, as OC with a hefty salary.

Coach Briles knows how to recruit QB's and coach them up!

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

LSU has historically always had great skill players, but they lack at the QB position. Let me ask you guys a question, does the state of Louisiana never put out any good 5 star QB's or something? It seems to me, that LSU has always had extremely mediocre QB play and to be completely honest with you, the QB's I have seen LSU have would have been better suited for a Wishbone offense or something.

But anyway, the skill positions would be a non-issue at LSU for Briles (assuming he went there) - However, I do think he'd have to duck over to Texas to find his QBs.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

LSU has historically always had great skill players, but they lack at the QB position. Let me ask you guys a question, does the state of Louisiana never put out any good 5 star QB's or something? It seems to me, that LSU has always had extremely mediocre QB play and to be completely honest with you, the QB's I have seen LSU have would have been better suited for a Wishbone offense or something.

But anyway, the skill positions would be a non-issue at LSU for Briles (assuming he went there) - However, I do think he'd have to duck over to Texas to find his QBs.
I went back to the 2012 recruiting class (and included the upcoming 2016 class) and per Rivals, the state of Louisiana has only put out one QB rated higher than 3* since then; 4* QB Brandon Harris (the current LSU QB). In general, Louisiana doesn't seem to put out a ton of QB talent.

They have signed several highly rated QBs. The problem is that he hasn't had anyone on his staff adept at developing those QBs (like Kiffin, McElwain, etc)

BigA

Scout Team
Dec 21, 2013
Trussville, Al

Briles was 35-30 in his first 5 seasons at Baylor. Doesn't appear to be a quick turnaround to me.

Also, only had 5 players drafted "prior to the 3rd round" since he has been there.

Not sure LSU will give him 5 years, and not sure he will be able to recruit elite NFL caliber talent to LSU with system he runs.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

Briles was 35-30 in his first 5 seasons at Baylor. Doesn't appear to be a quick turnaround to me.

Also, only had 5 players drafted "prior to the 3rd round" since he has been there.

Not sure LSU will give him 5 years, and not sure he will be able to recruit elite NFL caliber talent to LSU with system he runs.
Well, its Baylor, LOL. Look at what Baylor was before Briles got there. I'd say it was a quick turnaround. Just think what he'd do at a program like LSU.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Not to be age-ist about this, but why would Lousyana State hire a coach that is already 60 yrs old, knowing that restructuring the team to his way will take 2-3 years?

A I said earlier in the thread, I hope for Alabamas' sake they run Miles and hire Briles. So do Mullen, Freeze, Bielema, and Sumlin.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Not to be age-ist about this, but why would Lousyana State hire a coach that is already 60 yrs old, knowing that restructuring the team to his way will take 2-3 years?

A I said earlier in the thread, I hope for Alabamas' sake they run Miles and hire Briles. So do Mullen, Freeze, Bielema, and Sumlin.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I went back to the 2012 recruiting class (and included the upcoming 2016 class) and per Rivals, the state of Louisiana has only put out one QB rated higher than 3* since then; 4* QB Brandon Harris (the current LSU QB). In general, Louisiana doesn't seem to put out a ton of QB talent.

They have signed several highly rated QBs. The problem is that he hasn't had anyone on his staff adept at developing those QBs (like Kiffin, McElwain, etc)
Shea Patterson is from Louisiana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.